The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-24-2021, 10:18 PM

I think it helps knowing that most of the floor people working at GC are going to tell stories, and you really have to do your own truth search.

I haven't been in my local GC for about 2 years because of the rude and poor service from the manager and friend that I received last visit. Their loss, not mine.
Old 09-24-2021, 10:23 PM

Why do sales associates have to lie?

Because they can.

Diogenes is still out there looking.

Believe it or not, I have met some good people at Guitar Centers. Just chat them up and you will know which ones you should deal with. And also keep in mind that all companies feature special sales programs that they may have to mention as good employees should. A good salesperson will use a conversation to figure out what you need and offer choices for you as available.

I've been working retail for the last 20 years, currently in a semi-retirement part-time position. Was previously a full-time store manager at a different company for 13 years. Neither position involves dealing in musical instruments.

And I can say that I never consciously lied or misled a customer to make a sale. Most retail operations rely on repeat business, and you would be surprised how many customers appreciate the truth and come back for more. Works especially well when there are choices to be made and you keep the customers best interests in mind. Ultimately they make the choices.

While not all customers can recognize the truth is something else again, and it's often wasted on those kind of people. But no worries if you keep a clear conscience.

And as a shopper, it is always a good idea to do research before you go shopping. Always good to know the 'true' high ground in any sale.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 09-24-2021 at 10:41 PM.
Old 09-25-2021, 12:17 AM

I remember in August 2006 when a manager at the Guitar Center in Greenwood, Indiana gave me an unsolicited $100 discount on a guitar and then proceed to sell me the free case for $99.

I went there to buy a Martin and left with a Breedlove AD20 SR/Plus that was less than half the price. At that time I had been playing for four years and was buying my first acoustic since my brother gave me my first lessons on his early 90’s D-16. I had never heard of Breedlove, didn’t know about their Korean import Atlas series (which I think was relatively new), and simply bought the guitar that for the feel, tone, and features had a price that seemed incredible to me.

Anyway, one sales guy was talking up this Breedlove company (I asked!). Oregon, founders had been with Taylor, more talk about Oregon . . . and he mentioned the top quality cases that come with these guitars. One I had made my decision to buy, the manager did the transaction. He told me that he was giving me a $100 discount and produced a receipt with price that was $100 less than the sticker. However, there was a second line item for a $99 case.

It was clear to me what the manager had done since his sales guy told me about the case that came with the guitar. Whatever. My true “discount” was a total of one dollar and the sleazy manager soiled his reputation for no reason at all, other than to falsely attempt to build good will in furtherance of future sales. The $100 discount was “offered” as I was walking out of the acoustic room enroute to the cash register.

I resented the willful deception. I don’t respect it. He was wasting time at GC when he could have been making real sales-jerk money selling timeshares or swamp land to unsuspecting rubes. I digress. Ultimately, I wasn’t ripped. I was merely lied to. So it goes.

All I needed to do for some personal accountability was to drive past his store up to Indianapolis for future purchases. From an opportunity cost standpoint, it was a less than inspired choice to completely alienate a potential long term customer over a worthless stunt.

Last edited by Brick is Red; 09-25-2021 at 12:33 AM.
Old 09-25-2021, 12:51 AM

All this whining for a few pick guard scuffs? What do you plan on doing with a guitar after you buy it... aside from adding a few pick guard scuffs?

Everyone wants brick and mortars around to try before you buy... do you expect the inventory has been brought in for your exclusive perview? What do you suppose happens to the guitars that you decide aren't for you? Recycled?

I think you place too much faith in the ethics of sales people... If you like the guitar buy it. Or order one online, and hope for the best.

Last edited by Kerbie; 09-25-2021 at 03:33 AM.
Old 09-25-2021, 01:56 AM

In general terms I think the problem is more to do with the culture of the companies rather than the individual salesperson.

Sales jobs are often commission and target based. Don't sell, you don't get paid. Don't hit your targets, you could be out of a job.

People wonder why sales people stretch the truth or lie?
Really?

Last edited by Silurian; 09-25-2021 at 02:02 AM.
Old 09-25-2021, 03:05 AM

OK... I will offer an alternative POV. Whilst there is not an excuse for 'lying' - I do find it a little sad that everyone immediately jumps on the moral bandwagon about what is after all a sales situation. Lets be honest, we KNOW when we go into a store that they will want to sell us something, and we also KNOW that the best way to sell us something is through trust an honesty.

However, we dont know the full details of this situation; It could be innocent in that the guitar was out the box for maybe a week or so, and the second rep was only just back in that week... in could have been played a fair bit, but he was not yet up to speed? Its easy to judge, but in my experience, if we want to have a trusted relationship with a local shop, maybe give the guys some feedback directly, not run to the boss? keep it light hearted and suggest 'looks like a few folks have played it whilst you weren't looking' smile and see what the response is... then just say honestly that you are interested and will be more so if you could get the full history etc so you can make a deal with him.

This has many benefits - the rep recognises that the truth/facts increases his chance of a sale, he gets the the credit of the sale and reinforcing that message and you get an ally/trust relationship going with the rep in the shop - someone you know is going to be far more helpful.
Old 09-25-2021, 06:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH Acoustic View Post
If you were lied to about the guitar, bring it up with the manager -- it might even get you a deeper discount on that one you liked.

It might be good to edit the top post to include the word "some", as I'm sure many of us here on AGF (as evidenced by a post on this thread) have worked in sales.

Sales does not 100% correlate with dishonesty -- this is a practice that is perpetuated by an unethical minority of the sales associates I have interacted with.

Having also worked in sales at some point in my life, I can attest to overhearing some 'efforts' on the part of colleagues that I could never bring myself to repeat. I developed a reputation that customers could trust over time, and learned that honestly begets loyalty.

Same is true at GC. Hopefully you find a sales person you can believe, you just might have to go up the ladder to do it.

No sense in letting it go, as who knows how many that sales associate has pulled the same move with. It's time for that person to get educated, I think.

-a.h.
All well said. I’ve been in the retail automobile sales profession…and yes, it is a profession if you’re a very good one, for over 35-years and dishonest salespeople disgust me too. To their credit though, most are only dishonest because they have not been trained properly…or they are weak salespeople to begin with.

I have fought the stigma of the dishonest salesman all my career…simply by not being that, at all. I have learned that an honest “I don’t know, but I will find out for you” goes a lot further than a quickly conceived lie that will surely unravel at some point. Good salespeople know this…weak, untrained ones do not. Frankly I blame the managers for this…not necessarily the salespeople.

I do agree as well, that a manager should be notified. At that time, he has the authority to “suck it up” and take the blame…plus sweetening the deal, or correcting things. If he does not…be prepared to walk out. Period. The old saying is: “There will always be another guitar.”
Old 09-25-2021, 06:30 AM
Charter Member

Again, just because someone is wrong, does not mean they lied. And just because there was miscommunication does not mean you were lied to.

Yes, some people lie. In my experience, though, far more just make honest mistakes.

Never attribute to malice what can more easily be attributed to ignorance.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 09-25-2021, 06:36 AM
Charter Member

I always want to deal with the manager or owner of any music store.

I usually know what I want when I walk in. I know they will not have any guitar hanging on the wall. That plays as well as what I have at home.

If you are looking for something that plays good at a music store. Be prepared to be disappointed.

Store with the best playin guitars in my area is an hour away. Lots of guitars.

From Budget to Collings. And the best players are just OK, as far as I'm concerned.

I do like a specific setup though.
Old 09-25-2021, 06:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick is Red View Post

Anyway, one sales guy was talking up this Breedlove company (I asked!). Oregon, founders had been with Taylor, more talk about Oregon . . . and he mentioned the top quality cases that come with these guitars. One I had made my decision to buy, the manager did the transaction. He told me that he was giving me a $100 discount and produced a receipt with price that was $100 less than the sticker. However, there was a second line item for a $99 case.

It was clear to me what the manager had done since his sales guy told me about the case that came with the guitar. Whatever. My true “discount” was a total of one dollar and the sleazy manager soiled his reputation for no reason at all, other than to falsely attempt to build good will in furtherance of future sales. The $100 discount was “offered” as I was walking out of the acoustic room enroute to the cash register.

I resented the willful deception. I don’t respect it. He was wasting time at GC when he could have been making real sales-jerk money selling timeshares or swamp land to unsuspecting rubes. I digress. Ultimately, I wasn’t ripped. I was merely lied to. So it goes.
Well, it's true that the Breedlove company is from Oregon... I don't see any problem with that.

And I'm fairly confident that lower end Breedloves, like the Atlas series, didn't come with cases. So, it's possible that the sales guy was just wrong, and the manager gave you a free case.

And it's also possible that you just heard what you wanted to hear, and that nobody lied to you.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 09-25-2021, 06:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Lol, if you think music store reps are bad, head over to your nearest Bass Pro type store and visit the gun counter.
My most memorable such event was the earnest young ‘technician’ at my local rapid oil change place trying to convince me, with a perfectly straight face, that I needed an oil change in my front differential.

It was a rear-wheel drive vehicle.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 09-25-2021, 07:25 AM

I once was at a one man shop and authorized Martin dealer and repair shop.

First lie:
He had a custom Martin that I knew was part of a limited NYC Subway run that Martin did. He claimed that he himself decided on the specifications. That NYC subway coin inlay in the head stock sure was one strange design decision for a European dealer.

Second lie:
The guitar was not built in the year he claimed based on the serial number.

Third lie and absolutely worst lie:
The guitar had high action, normal neck relief and not enough saddle to get it lower than .100". When pointing that out he acted like it was normal and that wanting your action lower than .100" was outrageous.

Fourth lie:
He keeps a 00-18 on the website as in stock but doesn't have one and tries to sell you the above mentioned custom at a discount.
Old 09-25-2021, 08:15 AM

Having spent more years in photo-retail than I care to admit, it's true that some salespeople lie to make a sale. At one store that was circling the drain, one senior salesman told us that no matter what a customer asked for on the phone, just say we had it. If they actually came in the store, you now had an opportunity to sell them something else. He was dead serious.

It's also true that some salespeople are confused and simply make mistakes.

And it's also true that some people just lie no matter what they do for a living.

Lying is a fact of human existence. Music stores do not have the market cornered.

Best,
PJ
Old 09-25-2021, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
My most memorable such event was the earnest young ‘technician’ at my local rapid oil change place trying to convince me, with a perfectly straight face, that I needed an oil change in my front differential.

It was a rear-wheel drive vehicle.
I think I ran into that same service writer.
Old 09-25-2021, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

This is an EASY 5-pager.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion