The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-24-2021, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
Cool. I have a G-00 on the brown truck. When they did the original G series a few years ago, there was supposed to be a 00 and I always wanted it, but it never happened. When I saw this time 'round, I ordered one immediately.

What pickup are you gonna use? (you said you'll be gigging it tonight).
A Dearmond Tone Boss mag through a Baggs Align EQ into a Bose S1. A nice sounding pickup that I heard Noledog using, he had it sounding real good. It's my first gig with it, I have been using a Baggs M1A, but while trying the Dearmond in my house, it sounded more acoustic. I'll be bringing the M1A just in case.
Hope yours gets there soon!

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 09-24-2021, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
A Dearmond Tone Boss mag through a Baggs Align EQ into a Bose S1. A nice sounding pickup that I heard Noledog using, he had it sounding real good. It's my first gig with it, I have been using a Baggs M1A, but while trying the Dearmond in my house, it sounded more acoustic. I'll be bringing the M1A just in case.
Hope yours gets there soon!
Mine arrived a couple hours ago....I watched it come via security camera, my wife is watching it for me until I get home from work. "Another one of those big stupid boxes arrived" she said. hahah.

I've got a Tone-Boss and they are super great for the low cost. I think an M1 (and M1A) are the most popular soundhole pup for a reason, but agree their magnety sound is stronger than the Tone Boss. I like the Tone Boss a lot.
Old 09-24-2021, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

Happy for you gr81dorn! Hope you get home soon and let me know your thoughts...

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

Old 09-24-2021, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Happy for you gr81dorn! Hope you get home soon and let me know your thoughts...
So far, it sounds great and plays great. It’s pretty immaculate but you can see where they cut corners to get to the price point in a couple meaningless instances. The pickguard isn’t polished around the edges so there are a few little plastic hairs visible, I just sorta pulled them off. The finish/buffing compound (I assume) is caked in one little area near the headstock where the tilt back starts. I’m nitpicking, but those things make it look a little chintzy and cheap.

Setup great out of the box, louder than expected. More modern and bright sounding than that typical Gibson sound, but that is desired to me for this instrument.

The gig bag seems sturdy and will be fine. Super light guitar and super light case - that’s a win for sure.

I don’t like Gibson necks, so I don’t like this neck, but that’s just me. Feels just like most of the recent Gibsons I’ve had and played. Medium thickness, not as skinny as certain brands, not as thick or full as I like, it’s pretty middle of the road which should please most. String spacing feels wider than I was expecting, but probably sensible for a guitar that’s more likely to get finger style and rag type playing.

Overall, it’s a good guitar and worth the dough in my opinion for a USA made instrument. Comparing to an Eastman L00, miles away from that as far as fit and finish, but the sound and playability are right there and still cheaper. I think it’ll be a winner for gigging musicians and players cuz it won’t have to be babied…the finish is so thin, it’ll probably become a relic relatively quickly for people who play hard and I kinda dig that personally.

I’m satisfied for sure. It won’t be a lifer for me cuz I’m a revolving door and I will never bond with the neck cuz I know myself, but it’s pretty darn nice for what it is.
Old 09-24-2021, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

Thnx for your thoughts man. Agree it is nice for a US made instrument at the price. I do like the neck, but everyone has their preferences

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

Old 09-25-2021, 03:56 AM

I played the new G45 at GC yesterday and found it ok. I wasn’t blown away and wasn’t really impressed with the port idea. I understand that some folks may find that interesting and innovative but it’s just not for me.

The more I played it the more I warmed up to it. The guitar sounded thin to me though. Lacked the Gibson sound. Covering the port with your hand could change the sound a little bit, which I thought was interesting. Finish wise, it’s bare bones. Thin finish is completely natural which I did like. Satin throughout if I remember correctly. No frills. Just a guitar with an extra hole. I did like the neck profile. Wish they threw a tortoise guard on.

If you have to have a Gibson, then yea. But for the money I don’t see it worth being full price. There are better options out there.

Here’s a quick (out of tune) play through that I recorded: https://youtu.be/eRH3X4u6_io

Last edited by vanpatten; 09-25-2021 at 04:10 AM.
Old 09-25-2021, 04:14 AM
Charter Member

Gibson must have purchased a forest of walnut years ago, and has been trying to find a mass market model to move it with. Seems they settled on thin body, spruce top, and have been through several versions. Theyve made several commendable (and affordable) guitars, but seem to keep changing. Maybe this line will be their winner.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 09-25-2021, 07:21 AM

Hey guys,

we did a demo of the G-200 and a compared all 4 models as well:

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Michael from guitar bonedo
Old 09-25-2021, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
It’s pretty immaculate but you can see where they cut corners to get to the price point in a couple meaningless instances. The pickguard isn’t polished around the edges so there are a few little plastic hairs visible, I just sorta pulled them off.
One thing I'll never understand is why builders put the pickguard on the guitar in the first place. Why not put it in the case, and if the owner wants it, they can stick it on themselves? In fact, the Gibson CJ-165 I bought in 2007 did precisely that, and I thought it was a really enlightened move.

Some of us don't like the things, so why not put it in the compartment, especially if it's a relatively unappealing one!
Old 09-26-2021, 04:05 PM

Tried a G45 today. The sound port makes very little difference. In fact, a Martin 000-18 I tried right after was actually louder to me. The G45 felt kind of cheap. Not a high quality guitar by any stretch. Pretty identical to the original G45. Again…that extra sound hole is very insignificant IMO.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion