The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-24-2021, 11:59 AM

Absolutely!
In fact, my current "main" acoustic is a cheap Harmony H167 from 1969.
I like the looks (especially that six-on-a-side headstock), I can work with the tone (it's ladder braced, so not super versatile, but works well for the old-timey stuff I play), but I mostly love it for it's nice wide AND fat baseball bat neck, feels great, very easy to play. That's why I choose it over my much "better" Guild most of the time...
I'm on the waiting list for an Iris OG, we'll see how the Harmony fares once I get that, but that won't happen before next year...
Old 09-24-2021, 08:25 PM

If you have a connection to it and enjoy it, then yes!

I decided that since my nicer guitars have necks I love equally if not more than my junker parlor, I would be best to ditch the parlor and just play the nicer ones which I enjoy more overall.
Old 09-24-2021, 10:31 PM

I have a cheap guitar that I've kept for almost 20 years, despite owning many more expensive instruments in that time. Partially I've kept it because it sounds good, partially because I love the neck, and partially because its far too good of a guitar to let go for the pittance I'd be lucky to get for it.

That said, if it didnt sound good it I would have got rid of it years ago, I likely would not have bought it in the first place.
Old 09-25-2021, 04:32 AM

I’ve recently picked up a cheap Alvarez which has a great neck and after a setup plays and sounds great I’d happily pay 3-4 times what I did.

It’s hung on a wall at the moment but I’ve just had a JJB 330 pickup installed so I’m planning to take it out gigging with me.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 09-25-2021, 06:00 PM
Dan - Charter Member

Maybe not neck shape so much, but taller frets. I have an old Seagull spruce top dread that has fairly high frets and the nice wide fretboard. I did a neck reset on it and the action came out very nicely. It is a pleasure to play. But the tone is not remarkable.
Old 09-25-2021, 06:23 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Mick View Post
I don't have any problem at all hanging on to a cheap guitar, but I have to like the sound as much as the feel. A great feeling neck is fine, but if it doesn't sound good then I'm not going to reach for it. And I have had some great sounding cheap guitars, so I know it's possible.
Yep, I’m with Mick on this one. Tone trumps everything for me. Including price.

Old 09-26-2021, 11:13 AM

Yes, I keep a cheap guitar because of neck shape. I have a Recording King RP-06 with a chunky neck, quite different from most of my guitars. When I begin to have hand pain from playing the usual guitars, I switch to the RP-06 for a physical change in the muscles used, and it helps.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 09-26-2021, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

I would only keep a "cheap" guitar ( I'm assuming that it doesn't sound very good) IF I were playing primarily "plugged in"; then I'd keep it if it played and felt great to me.

For sitting around and playing it acoustically? Nope, wouldn't keep it. Life is too short to play crappy guitars, unless that's all I can afford!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 09-27-2021, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Kindnes View Post
Definitely, I have two Recording King guitars, one solid and one laminate, and I use them for travelling because the necks suit me and they were not expensive.
I second this. Just make sure you hang on to them because they vary from instrument to instrument. My new ro-t16 neck is chunkier than the first one I had.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion