The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-29-2021, 05:10 PM
Guest 928

Nephew K;

No need to sigh. You can send the guitar to me and I'll find a charger.
Old 06-29-2021, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
I had a Mi-Si pickup once. I believe there’s some trickery you can do with a 9v battery and a guitar cable to recharge the supercapacitor. There’s some mention of it here (https://mi-si.com/resources/) close to the bottom of the page.
They show the trick in the manual available here https://www.mi-si.com/wp-content/upl...ls/AirTrio.pdf

Basically take a 9v battery and a stereo guitar cable. That it has to be stereo is the one part that makes this a little difficult in actual practice. A regular mono cable won't work.

Plug one end of the cable into the guitar and take the other end and touch the positive battery terminal (the small one) to the ring on cable (last part of the shaft just before the tip) and the negative terminal (large one) to the ground (anyplace further down the shaft. The sections are separated by spacers. There is an illustration in the manual. 60 seconds for an eight hour charge.
Old 06-29-2021, 06:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuchak View Post
They show the trick in the manual available here https://www.mi-si.com/wp-content/upl...ls/AirTrio.pdf

Basically take a 9v battery and a stereo guitar cable. That it has to be stereo is the one part that makes this a little difficult in actual practice. A regular mono cable won't work.

Plug one end of the cable into the guitar and take the other end and touch the positive battery terminal (the small one) to the ring on cable (last part of the shaft just before the tip) and the negative terminal (large one) to the ground (anyplace further down the shaft. The sections are separated by spacers. There is an illustration in the manual. 60 seconds for an eight hour charge.
That’s it. I didn’t want to spoon-feed Kramster too much
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 06-29-2021, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Nephew K;

No need to sigh. You can send the guitar to me and I'll find a charger.
You know, that’s really not a bad idea.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 06-30-2021, 05:43 AM
Charter Member

Wow, that's a beaut Wuchak. Ive never seen a Blackbird ekoa top. All the best with it!

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 06-30-2021, 03:42 PM
Guest 928

Kramster: Strumalot has lead to an interest..............

Strumalot: Your use of the same guitar for both nylon and steel continues to amaze me. When you say the Savoy beats out the other nylon string guitars you mention do you mean acoustically? Electronically? Both?

Last edited by Acousticado; 07-01-2021 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-01-2021, 04:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Strumalot: Your use of the same guitar for both nylon and steel continues to amaze me. When you say the Savoy beats out the other nylon string guitars you mention do you mean acoustically? Electronically? Both?
Hi Evan, I am working on a detailed post about the Nylon Savoy so if you ~ or anyone else on this forum ~ are thinking about going in that direction you'll know how I came to my conclusions and will have enough information to make am informed decision.

Might take a few days.

Stay "tuned."
Old 07-01-2021, 07:17 AM
Guest 928

Thank you--I'm tuned.

Also interested in what strings you're using in nylon mode.

Last edited by Guest 928; 07-01-2021 at 07:26 AM.
Old 07-01-2021, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
I had a Mi-Si pickup once. I believe there’s some trickery you can do with a 9v battery and a guitar cable to recharge the supercapacitor. There’s some mention of it here (https://mi-si.com/resources/) close to the bottom of the page.
Thanks kind sir..
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 07-01-2021, 03:33 PM
Guest 928

If you go on line and look up Blackbird Savoy Review you'll run across a great review of Kramster in a "Video Thingee." The great thing about the "thingee" is that it features a number of players with a number of musical styles. Pretty informing stuff.
Old 07-02-2021, 02:46 PM
Guest 928

Wuchak;

Earlier in this thread Strumalot indicated that the Savoy was as good with nylon as it is with steel strings. I am fascinated by the possibility and you are in a position to test it.

If you would be willing to try at least one nylon string on your Savoy, I'll buy you a set. You may not be interested in trying a whole set, but just one string would give you an indication of the
Savoy's nylon potential. If interested PM me an address and I'll put in the order.

Early reviews of the Savoy indicated that it is light and sensitive and there are reports that it can be drop tuned without losing its qualities. Those reports, along with Strumalot's experience, suggest that Blackbird Joe has penetrated a new frontier of luthery.

Tony: There's a Savoy advertised on line at Atlanta Discount Music, you could take you wife for a drive and drop by for a look. Or call 866-322-6220

Last edited by Guest 928; 07-02-2021 at 03:13 PM.
Old 07-02-2021, 08:38 PM

Quote:
If you go on line and look up Blackbird Savoy Review you'll run across a great review of Kramster in a "Video Thingee." The great thing about the "thingee" is that it features a number of players with a number of musical styles. Pretty informing stuff.

Thingy I tell ya... I better watch it as well
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 07-03-2021, 04:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Wuchak; Earlier in this thread Strumalot indicated that the Savoy was as good with nylon as it is with steel strings. I am fascinated by the possibility and you are in a position to test it.
If you try this experiment, I am using D'Addario EJ34 Folk Nylon Strings (you'll need ball ends for the Savoy bridge).

At first, the bass may overpower the trebles a bit. And they will need to streeeeeeeeetch.

With a little time and patience, the bass will balance better and the strings will become stable.

But as Evan suggested, even a quick one-string test will tell if you if the Savoy nylon idea is viable or not.
Old 07-03-2021, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Wuchak;

Earlier in this thread Strumalot indicated that the Savoy was as good with nylon as it is with steel strings. I am fascinated by the possibility and you are in a position to test it.

If you would be willing to try at least one nylon string on your Savoy, I'll buy you a set. You may not be interested in trying a whole set, but just one string would give you an indication of the
Savoy's nylon potential. If interested PM me an address and I'll put in the order.

Early reviews of the Savoy indicated that it is light and sensitive and there are reports that it can be drop tuned without losing its qualities. Those reports, along with Strumalot's experience, suggest that Blackbird Joe has penetrated a new frontier of luthery.

Tony: There's a Savoy advertised on line at Atlanta Discount Music, you could take you wife for a drive and drop by for a look. Or call 866-322-6220
Thanks for the thoughts, Evan. My wife doesn't travel well at all anymore so we don't go out all that much lately other than doctor appointments and trips for her to the Mayo Clinic, which is about 90 miles away.

I am not too sure about a guitar made from cloth and my McPersons and CA Guitars Cargos are doing fine. I am just curious enough to take the drive over to St. Paul, probably 10 miles at most, the next time Willie's gets one in.

Tony
Old 07-03-2021, 11:55 AM
Guest 928

Strumalot (Jeff) has emailed me several sound samples of the Savoy and a track of his X10; the X10 is an older one and the Savoy is newer. I liked the sound of the Savoy, but a recording can never take the place of actual play.

Jeff also reported on the response of other players giving the nylon Savoy a run with some finger picking. the Savoy seems to adapt well to both pick and finger. Strumalot also noted that when he talked with Joe about his positive experience with nylon strings on the Savoy Joe was not surprised given the lightness of the build.

And so, I have great options; a custom Emerald 7 or a Blackbird Savoy. Decisions, decisions.......................and lots of dithering.

Speaking of Strumalot, years ago he published a very funny book well worth a read: How to Canoe in Canada, A True Story. Sold on Amazon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber