The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-14-2021, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
I'm a transplanted Buckeye, but became a USC football fan about 20 years ago. My daughter and I both did graduate degrees there.

I was glad to see they fired Clay Helton today. I wish no ill to Clay (and he will walk away with a $10 million buyout), but it was time for a change. I was in grad school there the first year Pete Carroll arrived. It was an exciting time to be a Trojan.

The program has been in disarray for over a decade. IMHO, they need to hire the most expensive, proven coach in football.

Who would you guys recommend?

Scott Memmer
….I think Chris Petersen would be a coach worth considering….I think his problems at Washington were with administration and stress related…he had the Huskies heading in the right direction….and got them to a college playoff game against Alabama…he’s a California native….and he’s available without a buyout….plus he knows the PAC 12 well…

…the PAC 12 needs USC to be a contender….

Edit…..I have heard that Chris Petersen has announced that he is not interested in coaching at this time….nevermind…

Last edited by J Patrick; 09-14-2021 at 08:36 AM.
Old 09-14-2021, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Default College Football 2021

I would think that USC would be able to recruit well- now especially- considering their brand, their market and the new NIL rules. Kids could and eventually will make millions while playing college ball. Like it or not that is now a factor.

Peterson led Washington to a playoff game against Alabama. I think that year was the first meeting between Clemson and Alabama in the national title game? But Peterson might be a good hire.

I wonder what it would take to lure one of the top coaches away from their present position? Saban, Swinney, Smart would probably all require so much money it would make our eyes cross. And even then it might not make for a national championship.

Last edited by TRose; 09-14-2021 at 09:17 AM.
Old 09-14-2021, 10:08 AM
AGF Sponsor

Gents:

Yes, I thought of Chris Peterson. He does, however, seem to be one of those rare people who really does "want to spend more time with his family." He reportedly left WA partly because of the stress. Can you how much more stress there would be at USC?

As to money, TRose, that place is dripping with money. Remember that USC is not a state school but a private university. There's definitely enough money to lure a heavyweight. And yes, the brand is one of the best in college football, and has been for many decades. However, from where I sit, they WILL need a huge name to try to turn the program around. In college football it's all about recruiting, and they need someone like a Saban to be a draw for likely recruits.

Up until about ten years ago, USC had more former players in the NFL than any program in the country. That has slipped somewhat for sure, but I think they're still one of the top programs for that.

This is fun! Thanks, All.

Scott
Old 09-15-2021, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

Urban Meyer has said there is no way he would leave his present position in the pros and take the USC job. I’m pretty sure that means he is the likely next USC head coach. ;D
Old 09-18-2021, 03:51 AM
Charter Member

Nebraska and Oklahoma are replaying the 1971 Game of the Century today (11 Central).

Nebraska won that one, but I think they'll get clobbered today. I just hope that they play a decent game and don't get embarrassed.

GBR!
Old 09-18-2021, 07:10 AM
Charter Member

I think Florida and Alabama could be interesting... #1 vs #11 at Florida. We should see whether or not Bryce Young is for real. He has looked pretty good so far.
Old 09-18-2021, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Auburn at Penn St should be a good game to watch.
Old 09-18-2021, 07:24 PM

Washington State looked so good in the first half and then completely fell apart.
Florida gave Alabama a good game.
Michigan State played well.

These were the only games I watched (not entirely, but large parts of)
Epiphone Dot
Old 09-18-2021, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyeetime View Post
Sure did! Closer than I expected.
Old 09-19-2021, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyeetime View Post
Washington State looked so good in the first half and then completely fell apart.
Michigan State played well.

These were the only games I watched (not entirely, but large parts of)
That was shocking after Alabama was up 21-3 heading into the second quarter.

Ohio State and Notre Dame winning so I'm happy.
Old 09-19-2021, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Alabama is still a good team but are not as good/as dominant as they were last season. Same can be said for OK, Clemson and Ohio State.
Florida’s strong play and Alabama’s struggles didn’t surprise me. Alabama is young and have already shown a proclivity to drop passes that should be caught. That didn’t happen last year.

What did surprise me was UCLA falling to Fresno St and Clemson struggling past Ga Tech.

I wonder if Ga can beat Fl ( or vise versa)this year and ultimately beat Al to get into the playoffs.

Should be an interesting season.

Again,maybe it’s Oregon’s year!
Old 09-19-2021, 12:06 PM

Although I didn't see any of the game, Washington saved face with a huge win over Arkansas State.
Epiphone Dot
Old 09-24-2021, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

Default Sat, Sep 25th

I'm looking forward to a couple good SEC games tomorrow... LSU at Miss State and Tennessee at Florida.
Old 09-24-2021, 10:37 PM
Charter Member

Clemson v NC St, Arkansas v TX A&M, Notre Dame v Wisconsin all may be good games to watch.
Old 09-25-2021, 07:13 AM

I have to go car shopping today, maybe I'll get a game in this evening.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic