The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-24-2021, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRQ View Post
Not finding much info on the web what can you tell me about Ash? I read that it has some nice fundamentals a la mahogany ?
Ash has similar metrics to sapele, so I imagine it to be mahoganyish. Never played or even seen an ash guitar before though. The price seems pretty out there, and Furch is behaving badly in the matter from what you describe.
Old 09-24-2021, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

Well that's pretty slimy, and surprising given my (few) interactions with Furch. Their current lineup seems reasonably priced. I hope they're not planning on bumping everything up.

Quote:
...Story goes that they got such phenomenal demand for these 40th anniversary Ltd's (only making 40 total, 15 for U.S. Market) that they changed the pricing, leaving the dealer in the lurch and then decided that they would demand to have prospective buyers fill out an "audition" form and they will then choose the most "worthy" applicants (the main item on the form is "how many Furches do you own so not looking good for me)....
Old 09-24-2021, 04:35 PM

Wow. I haven't heard of another manufacturer doing anything like that (not saying none have, just none that I've heard of).

If things transpired as described, that's not-so-great behavior on the part of the manufacturer.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 09-24-2021, 08:30 PM

Taking the OP at his word, I'd be looking at another brand. That would leave a very bitter taste n my mouth and I'd be soured on the brand from then on. There are too many great guitars out there and $5000 will buy you one of the very best.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 09-25-2021, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Had a long talk with the dealer, a really great guy, Eddie Carlino Guitars in Mass.
He is so fed up and hurt by Furch that he's ready to throw in the towel on them.

Story goes that they got such phenomenal demand for these 40th anniversary Ltd's (only making 40 total, 15 for U.S. Market) that they changed the pricing, leaving the dealer in the lurch and then decided that they would demand to have prospective buyers fill out an "audition" form and they will then choose the most "worthy" applicants (the main item on the form is "how many Furches do you own so not looking good for me).

In other words, the dealer got screwed just as bad as me and Furch's behavior and respect for their dealers and customers leaves a lot to be desired.
I was in "a" Carlino Guitars store in the Boston metro area a few times back in 2005 (give or take 1 year). I wonder if it's the same store? Just a small place with only a single person working who would also build Carlino electrics, according to his website at the time. I bought an ESP electric guitar case from him, which is the reason I found him because he was an ESP dealer. He was a great guy to deal with. He let me try a signature Peavey tube amp, I think it was the Joe Satriani model. You remember those "small things" that make an impression on you.

Sorry to hear about your experience with Furch. I'd be upset with Furch myself. Hopefully the US Rep can come through for you in some way.
Old 09-25-2021, 06:33 AM
Charter Member

But
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
I don't know if this has changed at all, but two years ago I had an issue with a Furch guitar and I spoke to the importer rep directly for the US.

At that point he seemed very earnest and helpful and pretty straight up.

I would suggest using the distribution contact info from here and see what they have to say.

https://furchguitars.com/us/about-us/contact-us/
Been dealing with Furch USA as well as in the Czech Republic for years. Always a great experience. And the prices I’ve paid were always Better then responsible.

Furch has grown considerably, so with most companies that have a fast expansion, there might be some unintentional miscommunication going on. I would not hesitate to use the form to communicate directly with the powers that be.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

Last edited by Mbroady; 09-25-2021 at 11:48 AM.
Old 09-25-2021, 09:02 AM

What an odd situation with what is known otherwise to be a straightforward, high quality business.

I sincerely hope the OP follows through with the folks in TN, Furch USA, and gets to the bottom of this.

In Europe, these would be highly unlikely circumstances — once a deposit has been paid on an agreed-upon price, it’s like a contract for both parties (seller/buyer)…something easily pursuable and winnable in court for whoever reneges.

It’s hard to imagine that Furch would see fit to act outside of these boundaries of normal business transactions here in Europe (or overseas, for that matter).

Old 09-25-2021, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
So I bought unseen and paid for in full one of the upcoming Furch 40th Anniversary models.

Tonight the dealer informs me that the price has gone from 5k to 8k !!.....
Was there a Furch published "list price" at the time you ordered and paid for the guitar? If the new price now exceeds the published price at the time of ordering, I think you have a strong, legitimate gripe directly with Furch. On the other hand, if the original price paid was based on "speculation" by the retailer, i.e., without actual pricing documentation from Furch, then I think the issue is with the retailer.
Old 09-25-2021, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the follow up. Of course Furch will have their side of the story, but that sounds like poor planning, horrible customer service, and maybe some legal liability, at best.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 09-25-2021, 11:45 AM

The world's gone mad...
Old 09-25-2021, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villamarzia View Post
Few months back I was interacting with a Furch dealer in Czech Republic for a custom order but then I had a sweet deal on a Lowden. The Furch was very nice and very cheap, around 2k in USD, cedar over rosewood, slotted head, some nice appointments etc. I can’t believe a Furch can cost 8k.. even 5k sounds way too high. Go on the web, find a Czech dealer and try to get your target guitar possibly for even less than 5k. My 2 cents..
I absolutely agree, they are good guitars but certainly not worth that kind of money. There are three Furch guitars for sale on adverts.ie €1,100, €1,700 and €2,200. Now obviously they are all different models, but I don't think I've ever seen one above €3,000 even new.
Old 09-25-2021, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Kindnes View Post
I absolutely agree, they are good guitars but certainly not worth that kind of money. There are three Furch guitars for sale on adverts.ie €1,100, €1,700 and €2,200. Now obviously they are all different models, but I don't think I've ever seen one above €3,000 even new.
Malcom, some models on the new Rainbow series sells over 3000€. Anyway, as far as I like them, I would never pay that money for a Furch.
Old 09-25-2021, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pender View Post
The world's gone mad...
I come from the land (..of ice and stone.. NO ) of Furch Guitars..
30 or 40 yrs ago, they were making cheap alternatives to Martin..
I bought one, and returned it the next day.
Later on, I asked them if their "mahogany" guitar were genuine hog, or some me-too stuff..
They replied with a wink: B is right..
My interest, if there was any left, ended right then and there.

Their PR and the hype is just immense.. like 8k ? sheesh ..
Old 09-25-2021, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmel555 View Post
Was there a Furch published "list price" at the time you ordered and paid for the guitar? If the new price now exceeds the published price at the time of ordering, I think you have a strong, legitimate gripe directly with Furch. On the other hand, if the original price paid was based on "speculation" by the retailer, i.e., without actual pricing documentation from Furch, then I think the issue is with the retailer.
The retailer listed it for sale based on what he was told from the Rep who's he's known for 17 years. Even the customer service rep of the company in Czech says she was "shocked" by the new list price.

But even worse, I agreed to pay the new price and they STILL reneged on the contracted sale I had and informed that my "application" would get "extra consideration" !!
Old 09-25-2021, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimelie View Post
What an odd situation with what is known otherwise to be a straightforward, high quality business.

I sincerely hope the OP follows through with the folks in TN, Furch USA, and gets to the bottom of this.

In Europe, these would be highly unlikely circumstances — once a deposit has been paid on an agreed-upon price, it’s like a contract for both parties (seller/buyer)…something easily pursuable and winnable in court for whoever reneges.

It’s hard to imagine that Furch would see fit to act outside of these boundaries of normal business transactions here in Europe (or overseas, for that matter).
Yes here too. They agreed to sell, I agreed to pay and they accepted payment in full! The problem is I'd have to sue the retailer who would then have to sue Furch and we'd both have a case but I just don't have the heart to sue the retailer, he's really a victim in all this too and was just trying to do a right by me....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion