The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-10-2021, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retsofekaj View Post
My casein pick just broke on me.

Regular strumming, nothing very aggressive, as I was singing and didn't want to overpower my voice with the guitar.

I guess maybe casein isn't for me. It sucks, because I really preferred that pick for chords.
It's a fluke. For years, I've played nothing but casein picks from a whole bunch of manufacturers. Never has one just broken on me through playing, and I'm an aggressive flatpicker. My thinnest casein pick is a 1.0-mm John Pearse Fast Turtle that I've had for years, with no problems. The only time I ever broke one of these is when I was brand-new to casein and tried to flex one. Some do get brittle over time, and you can tell if that's the case by examining it. If you see cracks, it doesn't automatically mean the pick is doomed, but treat it gently.

But no, they don't just snap like that for no reason, unless it's a manufacturing defect.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 06-10-2021, 05:48 PM

I sent a message to Rick after it broke, with a link to that picture. He asked if I'd want to try a 1.5mm or a 2mm.

2mm is too thick for me, but I have a 1.5mm thermoplastic that isn't too bad. I'll update when/if I get it!

DesertTwang, has that 1.0mm JP pick cupped at all? The one that broke on me arrived cupped, but it didn't bother me after a short warmup period. I'm curious if that's a sign of a pick that'll snap, but I saw a video of David Grier talking about it with his turtleshell picks, so Idk what to think.
Old 06-10-2021, 06:47 PM
AGF Sponsor

Since I've been working with casein material for going on seven years now, I thought members might find it useful if I chime in.

Casein is some bizarre stuff. And yes, over time, thinner casein picks will begin to spoon out a bit, esp those at around 1.0 mm thicker or under. However, bear in mind that casein is almost identical to genuine tortoise shell picks in this regard (casein also happens to sound remarkably close to TS in tone). This is a natural attribute of the material. Most players find this useful, as the spooning improves grip.

The thermoplastics such as Vespel, PEEK, etc., are almost opposite in their properties, with no significant warping or spooning over time.

Hope this helps,
Scott Memmer
Old 09-24-2021, 04:56 PM

I have three. Two large cricket hunters, one 2.5 and one 3.5. And a large smoker, tortoiseshell casein, 3mm. That one may be my favorite pick ever.

And 3 more on the way: another large smoker tortoise 3mm, but with no logo at all, because tortoiseshell casein is quite possibly the most beautiful manmade stuff in existence; a large tortoiseshell cricket hunter 2.5, and large smoker stained glass (not on their website yet) 4mm (because that's all it's available in)

Fun fact. As of yesterday, they offer the cricket hunter in tortoise casein on their website. They did that after I placed the custom order, and it's my pick in the pictures of it on the site. I feel all important now, LOL!!!
2021 Mitchell D120S12E
2021 Guild D-1212
2021 Eastman E6D-TC

An opinion without 3.14 is an onion. You'll understand.
Old 09-24-2021, 08:15 PM
AGF Sponsor

I'm glad to hear that. There have been a couple newer pick vendors appearing over the past few years -- HP being one of them -- run by young, energetic pick makers that are really adding new life to the category, revitalizing the boutique pick business. It's great for the industry, and it offers more options to the consumer, so it's a win-win.

This old fart (can I say that?) doesn't even try to keep up with these youngsters half my age. I just plod along, one foot in front of the other, and try not to keel over from the stress.

Plus, when you have the world's cutest grandchild fifteen minutes away, it's time to smell the coffee a bit. Meet Max, 15 months.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion