The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-24-2021, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
…as in “why would anyone spend that much money on a guitar”?

No disrespect meant to builders, buyers or owners but I sometimes look at guitars in the Classifieds and just SMDH.

I really believe that the value of anything is what people are willing to pay for it but anything over roughly $4,500 just gets me to wondering…

Do you have number?
Most new guitars around $250 bucks and below is where I'd draw the line. Many of the guitars in that price range dont take well to a good set up and could be detrimental to the playing experience overall. Above that, there are countless wonderful guitars to be inspired by, no matter your budget!
Old 09-24-2021, 01:12 PM

I have a new guitar budget of $100.00 a month. First of every month $100.00 goes into a jar, and when I have enough for the guitar I want, then I buy it.

Need another $1400 for the one I want next. Should be able to get it around a year from Christmas.
Eastman MD-514 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Old 09-24-2021, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
I've read most of the thread, not every single word.

One of the things that surprises me a bit is how many folks are just looking at the object, and also how many folks correlate what we should spend how well we play.

Part of the equation for me is wanting to support the craft. While I do have factory built guitars, I also want a world in which there are individual luthiers crafting fine guitars, and to live in such a world, those folks need to be able to make a living at it. I'm willing to support that, as it's something I value. I don't think I'm likely to ever spend $5k on a factory built guitar... but a hand built one that embodies years of practice and expertise, yeah, I'll do that because i see value in it. I don't have the means to do it often, or go much beyond that.

I've not spent a ton of money on art, but I do have some. Mostly bought from friends and people I want to support. And I get far more use and enjoyment out of my guitars than I do the paintings hanging on my wall, even though I'm not a great player and haven't played out in years (not that I don't enjoy the paintings, mind you).

A neighbor/friend asked me why I have so many guitars when I can only play one at a time, and why I'd spend so much on the one I'm commissioning, since I'm not a professional. I asked him why he has four motorcycles in his garage and how often he races them.
My sister is a mosaic artist and she is currently commissioned to do a picture which would run about the starting point for an established luthier. She said to me when she dies her husband will just run her tile collection to the dump not caring what it is worth. Wonder what will be done with my wood collection (I hope to use it up before I die. But there is always a nice piece of wood to buy.)
Old 09-24-2021, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

$12K is my limit. I haven’t come close to that with any of my purchases. But, that’s my limit.
Old 09-24-2021, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

Honestly, I don't think my abilities warrant putting a ton of money into a guitar. It's all subjective, but my limit for any one single guitar is probably $5,000. I just don't play well enough to warrant anything more expensive. My Epiphones and Eastman guitars are actually serving me quite well right now.
Old 09-25-2021, 04:06 PM

Quote:

No disrespect meant to builders, buyers or owners but I sometimes look at guitars in the Classifieds and just SMDH.

I really believe that the value of anything is what people are willing to pay for it but anything over roughly $4,500 just gets me to wondering…

Do you have number?

Another person's assessment of what a guitar means to them never leads me to shake my head.

What a guitar's value is to me may differ from your value or another person's value.

Money is not equal in the hands of all people.

I would and have spent $5K on some of my guitars. I may consider spending $10K for another custom order because the guitar has to be made by a specific person who's price is $10K. If I want that guitar, that's what I need to spend. I have no qualms about the prices for Traugott and Kim Walker and others which are over $20K. I prob would not drop that sum but if you want that guitar... They are very fine guitars.

So, no number gets my head shaking.

hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 09-25-2021, 08:11 PM
Charter Member

Default At what Guitar price point do you begin to shake your head?

There’s an exponential relationship between age and guitar price, for me. At age 21, I splurged extravagantly on a $500 guitar. 40 years later I splurged on a custom $5k guitar. 10 years later, the trend continues.
I’m fortunate to have more money to spend, but fewer years left to play.

Last edited by RussellHawaii; 09-25-2021 at 09:59 PM.
Old 09-25-2021, 11:31 PM

Quote:

Do you have number?
I think it is a question of value for money, I'm not sure I can put a value on the joy my guitars give me actually.

Please don't take my answer as a way of diminishing the value of your question. Its a great question.

"Never take a fool with you when you go, because you can always pick one up when you get there"! Billy Connolly.
Old 09-26-2021, 01:29 AM

I shake my head at guitars people don't bring out and play. Let other musicians and friends try and worry to much about. So i don't set the pricepoint, you do.

There is a reason real musicians that sing and play for a living use guitars like Takamine EF341.

Last edited by takamineGD93; 09-26-2021 at 01:35 AM.
Old 09-26-2021, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by takamineGD93 View Post

There is a reason real musicians that sing and play for a living use guitars like Takamine EF341.
Probably several reasons, one of which could be that they are underpaid. Or maybe they have case queens sitting in the closet or even on a stand back home.

I find complex reasons when I try to figure out what folks will pay for a guitar, economic status being the most common. The more disposable money one has, the greater the likelihood they will go after higher perceived quality, whether it's tools, homes, cars or guitars. My standards rose as my income and interest in fine guitars surged.

Important, but less so, is how much an individual values quality. A once in a while player is less likely to shell out big bucks, even if he has them. And a starving musician who refuses to compromise on quality may save for years.

There are plenty other reasons of course, but they are of lesser importance to all of us. But they can be overwhelmingly important to an individual.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 09-26-2021, 06:38 AM
Charter Member

The market speaks every day. There is a demand and supply at every price point. In a free society and market I don't judge others on their value decision.

If one summed the total or system cost of other hobbies or recreation I figure many run into the same territory as an expensive guitar. Skiing. Golf. A Harley Davidson.

For me, I would not pay over 10000 for one guitar, but understand someone who has the means and might do so.

2022 Taylor 714ce, 2020 Martin D-28 Modern Deluxe, 2013 Martin D-16GT, 1980 Yamaha FG-335
Old 09-26-2021, 01:32 PM

I bought my Olson a few years ago, I’m the second owner, for $13k. I’ve bought a few guitars since but I’m retiring in 30 days, I’m done.
Old 09-26-2021, 01:52 PM

Every guitar I buy has a place in my line up. Some are used for collection only, some for gigging, some for in home practice only and never to be gigged. So, the price ceiling on each is different. My highest is around five grand and the lowest is about one grand for a knock around campfire guitar.
My 1967 Martin D-28 will never leave the house.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 09-26-2021, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

I was just thinking about this....I feel very fortunate to be able to afford a few nice guitars and finally landed a Martin standard series. I don't really need anything better at the moment.
Old 09-26-2021, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdjjr View Post
I wouldn't pay above 1500 for any guitar. Period. Even if I won the lottery.
That's not to say I don't understand the pricing- I do, but I ain't gonna pay it.
That would be my limit. I'm just not good enough yet to justify a guitar more than that at this time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion