The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 09-05-2021, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

Default Eastman PG series

I've been looking at a variety of archtops recently and came across pictures of Eastman's PG1 and PG2. Visually, I am quite taken by them, unfortunately there is not a store within reasonable distance that has one, so I'd appreciate the opinion of anyone who has played one as to how they play and sound!
Old 09-07-2021, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

I have an Eastman AR-910CE, which I am very happy with. I realize that the PG-1 and -2 are a step up from what I have.

For reference, I did this video just recently:

I have never played or even seen a PG-1 or -2, but here are some YouTube videos. The first video sounds a lot like my AR-910CE. The others sound quite different, but the recording approaches are all over the map.

I hope this is helpful, at least a little...

- Glenn
Old 09-07-2021, 11:42 PM
Charter Member

Glenwillow - thanks, I did see many of them on YouTube … what I am hoping for is some real feedback in addition to what’s online!
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 09-11-2021, 08:47 PM

I have owned a PG2 for about 10 years now. Very nice guitar, very well built, and obviously, very cool looking. It is very easy to play, I do wish the neck/string spacing at the saddle were a little wider, but that's just preference.
As an acoustic instrument, I would say it is good, but not great. I have a 15" Yunzhi archtop that can't compare to the PG2, quality wise, but as an acoustic instrument, it is easily better. With the PG2, I truly consider it an electric guitar at this point, so if you're looking for a rhythm type acoustic guitar, I would look at the more "normal" Eastman archtops like a 910.

As far as how I've set the pickup (s) now:
1. Pickup the World under the bridge piezo film
2. Handwound Kent Armstrong 12 pole humbucker (allows the use of phosphor bronze strings)
The pickups are wired to a stereo jack, I use a Pickup the World stereo endpin preamp (they don't make them anymore) and get a terrific sound, with the piezo providing some of that archtop "reediness" and the Armstrong giving you the mellow, plugged in jazz tone.
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor

Last edited by jimmy bookout; 09-13-2021 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-11-2021, 11:22 PM
Charter Member

Jimmy bookout - thanks! Exactly what I was hoping to learn …. If I was looking more to the electric side, then yes this would be the way for me to go and since I’m looking more to the acoustic side I will look at the 900 series! Thanks again!
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 09-28-2021, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy bookout View Post
I have a 15" Yunzhi archtop that can't compare to the PG2, quality wise, but as an acoustic instrument, it is easily better.
Probably a lot cheaper too? They do have some gorgeous looking instruments on their site, but those photos could be very un-representative of what they actually sell... (I've been toying with the idea to ask them a quote for a design I bought from Cranmer Guitars).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops