The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-24-2021, 04:13 PM

Default Setup, setup, setup

I guess it's like "Location, location, location" in real estate. I have seen numerous posters affirm the importance of setup. I just had a new Mitchell 0120CESB done; the results are amazing! When I first got it I actually put up a post called "Truss rod dumb question," in which I asked whether a truss adjustment would decrease the string tension. The consensus was right--apparently the tension was due to the high action. The strings are very pliable now. It has even made it easier to navigate the dreaded 1-11/16 fingerboard (I got it by mistake because of erroneous description online). So kudos for all for the good advice!
Old 09-24-2021, 04:21 PM

Glad it worked out! Not sure how deep down the setup rabbit hole you want to go. A truss rod adjustment is a quick and easy fix if your guitar "moves" a bit due to humidity changes, or if the neck bends slightly one way or the other because you've moved up or down a gauge in strings (i.e. from mediums to lights).

A more thorough setup would first set up your neck relief (capo first fret, depress 12th, measure under 6th fret with feeler gauge, I like mine around 0.008") and that is what a truss rod should really be used to dial in.

Then confirm your nut slot depths are correct (feeler gauges under first fret for each open string, MusicNomad says 0.020" for E+B, 0.018" for A+D, 0.016" for B+e, but I've seen other luthiers/techs recommend like 0.018 across the board, it's up to you and what you like as long as you don't go so low it causes fret buzz).

And then finally 12th fret action can be dialed in by lowering the saddle (if it's a drop-in saddle you can evenly sand the bottom, if it's a cut-through saddle you'll have to sand off the top).

Once you (or a trusted luthier or tech) does that, you'll want to have every guitar you own moving forward set up.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 09-24-2021, 04:42 PM

I just got my Yamaha 6'er back from a setup a few weeks ago. I've owned it since it was new and I was 11 or 12... Had to hold back some tears upon the realization that had I done this 25 friggin' years ago, I might not have walked away a few years later for 18 years. Instead, I'm no better now than I was when I was a kid, basically starting over. All because of not doing something that would've cost $20 (back then) and taken maybe an hour.

So, if in doubt, SETUP.
2021 Mitchell D120S12E
2021 Guild D-1212
2021 Eastman E6D-TC

An opinion without 3.14 is an onion. You'll understand.
Old 09-24-2021, 11:21 PM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by therbulus View Post
I guess it's like "Location, location, location" in real estate. I have seen numerous posters affirm the importance of setup. I just had a new Mitchell 0120CESB done; the results are amazing! When I first got it I actually put up a post called "Truss rod dumb question," in which I asked whether a truss adjustment would decrease the string tension. The consensus was right--apparently the tension was due to the high action. The strings are very pliable now. It has even made it easier to navigate the dreaded 1-11/16 fingerboard (I got it by mistake because of erroneous description online). So kudos for all for the good advice!
Agreed! A quality setup turns any guitar into a new instrument. Years ago I owned a Mitchell 12-string which was haaaaaard to play, but got an expert setup from my guitar repair guy - and it became a joy to play. Even though it was "just" a Mitchell lol -----
Former AGF Moderator
Old 09-25-2021, 05:36 AM

A great setup is the difference between thinking you have a keeper or a "let-it-goer". It doesn't matter on the price of the guitar either, it needs to be setup to your liking.

therbulus, great to hear about your positive experience. Enjoy your Mitchell.
Old 09-25-2021, 05:53 AM

Default Setup, setup, setup

Similar to above stories. I thought my Taylor was better because it was easy to play. It just happened to have the right set up for me right at the store. I lived for twenty years with a Tacoma and an Orpheum that were OK but not so easy to play.
My wife bought me a Martin that needed a neck reset and I asked the luthier if he could make it easy to play like the Taylor. He asked to see the Taylor and took some measurements. When I got it back it was as good as the Taylor. I asked him to set up the others and now they play great also.
Set up, set up, set up!!!!!!!!
Old 09-25-2021, 05:54 AM
Charter Member

Yep. Its amazing how a thousandth here and there makes for a whole different experience. A good set up is the art of lutherie.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 09-25-2021, 06:05 AM

I have one of the same Mitchell's- I don't play it very much, but a few days ago I decided it deserves some play time- I haven't touched it for a couple months, so I checked the action and - dang! It was nearly 9/64- there isn't much saddle to sand on, so I checked the relief and that's where the problem was- so, truss rod adjustment time- it probably could use some nut filing but the closest tech/luthier I want to deal with is a 45 minute drive if traffic cooperates- but, yeah, it is easier to play after the truss rod adjustment.
Old 09-25-2021, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

I do my own set up on all my guitars.

Measurement on first fret, is only for preliminary. Final measurement is done by checking tuning.

If it's sharp when fretted. Nut is too high. Period.

Regardless of who you are or how you play.

People say higher action = sustain.

I beg to disagree.

My guitars are low low low. And they sustain till tomorrow.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion