The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-24-2021, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

now I will say many guitars I've purchased used, mainly my Recording Kings, were covered in dust , had mile high action, necks were bowed and never adjusted, with old strings. So I wonder how many folks are out there claiming they got a dud RK?
Old 09-24-2021, 11:57 PM
Charter Member

I've bought and sold 25-30 guitars in the last 5-6 years, and the only dud I had was an all-Mahogany, all-solid wood Seagull dread. This thing was heavy, built like a bomb shelter, and sounded like it was stuffed with socks. I played it for about six months, and it only got marginally better, so I sold it. The local person who bought it.... LOVED it! So, it goes to show that guitars can be awfully subjective.

The guitar was purchased at a great price online, so it was no risk to sell it. I've purchased others with varying degrees of satisfaction, and those that didn't work out have been sold.
Old 09-25-2021, 03:09 AM
Charter Member

Ok, I've mentioned this, but be warned it is somewhat condemning of the builders.

2008. My 60th birthday purchase. Some may know that I love 12 fret flat tops with wider nut widths - 1 & 13/16" ideally.

I'd decided that I wanted a guitar in the style of a Gibson Roy Smeck - 5" deep body 12 fret. Gibson Jackson Browne models didn't hack the quality or nut width requirements.

I had bought a Collings from a dealer a fair way away from me but we'd got on well, who was importing Huss & Dalton guitars - and suggested their DS12. Although he was a retailer, he was trying to become a distributor too.

A slightly custom DS12 was ordered for my 60th birthday - first one after retirement.
We ordered a DS12 with 1 & 13/16" nut width, and some "41/42" style fretboard markers, and a little inlay job on the headstock. standard tonewoods and a dark burst.

It arrived on time, just, and happy birthday - drove over to collect it.

Then the problems started.

1. it had a pretty standard set up, but buzzed everywhere (with mediums). Dealer man did more set up work - more buzzing unless played VERY gently or action at >.125" on bass and treble. Not ideal.

2. Also neck profile was VERY THICK and unplayable by the 7th fret.

3. With all the messing about, strings came on and off a few times, and we noticed that the finish on the headstock was getting very scratched and marked.

4. The beautiful dark burst finish was VERY soft - when I picked it up with finger and thumb on the upper bout, the finish moved and smudged under my finger tips - finish had not "cured" and could be rubbed off by finger pressure.

I emailed H&D about the issues and was told - "see your dealer". Dealer was unable to resolve issues.

Tried to call them - they would not discuss the matter.

I eventually took it a similar distance east to my former luthier/tech who advised that the top was too thin, and under braced so moved too much when flat picked, and that the finish had not been properly cured and the neck profile was just wrong. He also suspected that it may have been removed and reset. (not proven)

Eventuality after many gallons of petrol and hours of wasted time, the dealer took it back but could/would not refund due to the many marks and known faults.

It was, to date, the most expensive guitar I've bought.
He gave me a Larrivee SD50TSB as compensation which was not what I wanted as I already had three dreads and had wanted a "J" jumbo style, but I took it to end the business, and sold it to a friend for £1900.

Net financial loss at least £2700 IIRC).

The guitar used to come up for sale regularly.

In the end (2012) my "need" for a "Roy Smeck" style was fulfilled by a Santa Cruz "RS" bout slightly used by a chap in New Hampshire who shipped it to the UK for me. It is a far better built and finished instrument.

I accept that sometimes any builders could make a dog, but the lack of support was insulting and left a lasting impression of the company.

Sometime later, I observed something slightly out of spec on a Collings that I'd bought used.

I contacted Collings and the arranged for it to be collected and shipped from the UK to the factory, and resolved it and added a refret. (OK they made a token charge for the refret) - attentive and polite at all levels.

To be fair, American made instrument warranties are not necessarily honoured outside country of origin as some pass warranty issues to the local distributor but this is rarely made clear.

Collings have one authorised repairer in the UK, but did what they did anyway. Guess who I trust more?

Last edited by Silly Moustache; 09-25-2021 at 03:27 AM.
Old 09-25-2021, 04:45 AM

I bought a Inspired by Ian Anderson 12 fret parlor and quickly discovered that it wasn’t for me. It wasn’t a dud really, it just wasn’t my thing. I traded it last week for an Inspired by Gibson J-45 and both of us could not be happier with the trade.
Old 09-26-2021, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollypolly View Post
now I will say many guitars I've purchased used, mainly my Recording Kings, were covered in dust , had mile high action, necks were bowed and never adjusted, with old strings. So I wonder how many folks are out there claiming they got a dud RK?

I had an rd328 that sounded pretty flat, even after adjustment and strings, shame … such a nice make up of a guitar
2013 Gibson J-35
1957 Martin 0-15
2019 Martin DSS-17
1980 Martin D-35

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion