The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 12-12-2022, 09:01 PM

Default Red Haired Girl of Tulloch (strathspey, standard tuning)

At the risk of embarrassing myself with all the fantastic players here, I recorded what was essentially a practice session and then a breakdown of my arrangement of this to help remember it.

I only play in standard tuning (just can't get along with alternate tunings), and there aren't a ton of resources out there for this kind of music without using at least drop D, so I figured this might be better than nothing. Standard tuning does make it harder to do fancy accompaniment, but I think it's better for me to play something that doesn't get messy and especially doesn't risk masking the melody, so I've been limiting myself mostly to root notes or usually nothing more than a triad with the melody note on top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muq8ZKEIyDE (the youtube embed doesn't work)

This is a secondary channel for me (my main channel is the same as my username and has a lot of original music and DY stuff on it) and my friend to play some Celtic music together. I record a lot of practices to analyze so I'll probably do some more of these, but ideally I'd be posting stuff that has Rick playing whistle on it, too ...

Criticism and resources for material to work on are more than welcome.
There's a score in the description of the video, but it's fairly rudimentary for the tab.
Old 12-12-2022, 09:11 PM

I've embedded the video for you -

Old 12-12-2022, 09:34 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Good work so far.

What's up with the first string buzzing so much? You might want to humidify the guitar or give the truss rod a small turn to give a touch more relief.

BTW, you should really get into DADGAD, it only hurts a little at first Forget chords. Think intervals, and triads with bass fillers.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-12-2022, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
What's up with the first string buzzing so much?
The truss rod in a larrivee is a major PITA to get to. It requires some special tool that I don't have and I can't get in there with a regular allen wrench.

But more to the point: I cut a new saddle a hair's width too low to handle the winter temperature changes. (I replaced the saddle after taking out the UTS pickup, but the old one also wasn't compensated.) I did try raising it a tiny bit with some superglue mixed with Tusq dust, but depending on how cold it is in the house it's still a tiny bit too low. I have an extra saddle that I'll sand down eventually to fix the issue but for now it's not quite bothering me enough to take the strings off early and spend an hour with the sandpaper.

Quote:
it only hurts a little at first
That's what they all say!
Old 12-12-2022, 10:04 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwayfair View Post
The truss rod in a larrivee is a major PITA to get to. It requires some special tool that I don't have and I can't get in there with a regular allen wrench.

But more to the point: I cut a new saddle a hair's width too low to handle the winter temperature changes. (I replaced the saddle after taking out the UTS pickup, but the old one also wasn't compensated.) I did try raising it a tiny bit with some superglue mixed with Tusq dust, but depending on how cold it is in the house it's still a tiny bit too low. I have an extra saddle that I'll sand down eventually to fix the issue but for now it's not quite bothering me enough to take the strings off early and spend an hour with the sandpaper.

That's what they all say!
I had a 2005 OM-05 and I just needed an allen wrench. Progress,
You should contact Larrivee (they are a forum sponsor) and get the right tool just in case you need it later on down the road.

I had taken the UST out from my Guild D-120 and I shimmed the saddle with wood shims that I got from Bob Colosi's website.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell