The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-06-2022, 06:16 AM

Post Collings D1A vs D1AT Traditional?

Have been reading a lot of rave reviews about the Traditional series,

Anyone who has played both of these models from Collings - wanna share their experiences - In terms of tone, feel, playability ???

How different are they and what are the similarities?

Would love to hear from those who have played D1 vs their D1 Traditional or their baked iterations?
H&D TDR Custom
Collings D1A | CJ Mh
McPherson MG 5.0 XP Cedar
Froggy Bottom Model K | SJ
Gibson: J-45 Banner Reissue
Taylor: 714CE Cedar | 717 BE
Martin Custom Shop: 0000-18 Sinker | D18 Sinker | D35 Wild EIR | D28AA 1937
Martin: D18 (1973) | D35 | J40 | D41 | 000-28 EC
Five River Guitar
Old 04-06-2022, 06:57 AM
Charter Member

You may get divergent opinions on this, but I personally hear a much bigger difference between a Satin finish Traditional and a normal finish Traditional than I do between a standard series Collings and a normal finish Traditional. The ultra thin finish Satin models give the guitars a much more Martin like sound. Still very much a Collings, but with that edginess in their tone significantly rounded off.

Looking at your sig, you have an enviable collection of great dreads. Frankly, there is not much out there that will beat the D-28 Aged Authentic in terms of vintage voicing and feel if that’s the tone you’re after.

I sold a Collings D2HTS (Satin Traditional) to fund a D-28CAA. The Martin destroys my old Collings and competes with my Merrills on tone and feel.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 04-06-2022, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

I can only say:

I tried out this exact guitar on Saturday

https://manchestermusicmill.com/coll...ar-x0062-used/

...and if there's something that sounds better .. I would really like to hear it to believe it..
Old 04-06-2022, 10:59 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

The first Collings I played was a D1. It was also my first experience with a boutique quality guitar. I was blown away by the superb craftmanship. But the tone? I handed it back to the salesman and said, “Tight and bright.” Keep in mind I’ve always been a Martin/Gibson kinda guy. I didn’t realize that brief encounter with a Collings was going to revolutionize my understanding of guitars. But it did. I just couldn’t get that guitar out of my head. Then a few weeks later my CME guy offered me a great deal on a 2017 D1AT. I jumped on it. I’d heard the Traditional Series was warmer/more Martin-like. And that’s certainly what I hear. That D1AT has since been replaced by my new D1T (Torrified/Sunburst). A truly superb guitar. And it’s confirmed my strong preference for the Tradtionals.

Old 04-06-2022, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post

Man, Roy!

What a beautiful sunburst on that guitar! Wow!

Well, you've worked hard for it! Good for you!

- Glenn
Old 04-06-2022, 01:04 PM

My experience with 2 Collings purchases is that the Traditionals are indeed aptly named. They are not as "traditional" as an Authentic series Martin, but they are very good sounding guitars. That said, I played a handful of non-traditional Collings that were pretty beefy sounding. So, it comes down to individual guitars as usual.
Old 04-06-2022, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

I've owned a standard D1A, D1T baked, and DS1 baked. The D1A was much more crisp and articulate with less bass than the other two, and that's neither better nor worse. The D1T had the most warmth and bass. The DS1 sat between the two tonally. I think I would've preferred the DS1 over the other two had it not been baked.

I have also played a couple of the 2020+ S (satin) Traditonals. I think they are slightly more open and fuller sounding. But is that due primarily to the thinner finish or due to the new truss rod/neck block design? Both, probably.

The Traditionals are warmer and deeper sounding than the Standard Series Collings. Theres is also a fuller profile neck spec'd on the T Series.
Old 04-06-2022, 01:20 PM

I have a Collings D1 Sunburst Traditional and a D2H Baked Top. Both are incredible guitars. The D1 just has this effortless deep smoothness to the sound, don't know how else to describe it. It's not the loudest dreadnought I've ever played but incredibly articulate; Julian Lage's running buddy Chris Eldridge says that a dreadnought doesn't have to be the loudest to be great. I guess I'll leave it at that. The D2H, I've said before, is like the great white shark of dreadnoughts, big, ballsy, powerful. I'm itching to try a D2H with a German top sometime soon, which I think would make a fantastic guitar.
Old 04-06-2022, 02:20 PM

I own both, have owned both and play both. My D1 is baked and lis loud, bright and warm (I’ll explain in a bit). It is a fantastic guitar (it is for sale herein). My D1 Traditional is also baked and has slightly different construction than the D1 which you can look up on Collings’ site. The two are identical in volume and equal in tone. The D1T weighs in at 3.95 and, I believe the D1 is 4.35 pounds. The options on my D!T are baked and sunburst very similar to Roy’s and the price on the T is around $1000 more than my D1 even with the custom features added in. You can’t go wrong with either. If you want a Trad. That looks like Roy’s, PM me. If you want a D1 that caused me to sell a D28A ‘37 AND a D42, check the one I have in the classifieds. If you want a T, get a T and you’ll love it. If you want to save around a K, get a D1 Baked and you’ll love it.

All that said, I can only go by the 12, or so, Collings Dreads I have or have played. None have bee short of spectacular. I have 2 D1s (mentioned above) for sale - because I want to sell one. The honest truth is that they sound so similar that I don’t care which sells first. One will remain and be an heirloom guitar. Oh yeah, the reason they can be bold, bright and warm is because….. it’s a Collings and on a rarified level. When you make a guitar that responds with great tame bass and has bright trebles and is balanced across the strings, you will have a dedicated following and you can check with people who play Collings, they/we know there are a lot of great guitars in the $6000-$8000 range but none (in my opinion) better than Collings.
Old 04-06-2022, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Isn't it grand. Collings lovers can buy a guitar that sounds more like a Martin, and Martin lovers can buy a Modern Deluxe to sound more like a Collings. Ain't life grand?
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 04-06-2022, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Isn't it grand. Collings lovers can buy a guitar that sounds more like a Martin, and Martin lovers can buy a Modern Deluxe to sound more like a Collings. Ain't life grand?
It’s interesting. I didn’t get that from anyone. If you read my post above, which is very similar to all/most of the other posts I read in this thread, Collings has it’s own sound that is neighed Martinesque or like any other top-tier brand I’ve tried. I play and own Martin guitars but no longer play any M-brand dreads because, again for me, nothing out dreads a Collings.
Old 04-06-2022, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

I definitely hear a big difference between a D1T and a D1 or a D1AT and D1A. That is the same for the D2H iterations in both series. Certainly they all sound like Collings, but they are different. I also hear differences between the various versions of J45s (Standard, TV, V, Historic) and Martin D18s (Standard, V, GE, A, and MD).

If you're one who thinks they are more similar than different, or not different at all, then save yourself $1k or several $k and always buy the Standard Series.

Not to mention, beyond acoustic differences, there are ergonomic differences as well including neck profile and string spacing.
Old 01-05-2023, 11:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
The first Collings I played was a D1. It was also my first experience with a boutique quality guitar. I was blown away by the superb craftmanship. But the tone? I handed it back to the salesman and said, “Tight and bright.” Keep in mind I’ve always been a Martin/Gibson kinda guy. I didn’t realize that brief encounter with a Collings was going to revolutionize my understanding of guitars. But it did. I just couldn’t get that guitar out of my head. Then a few weeks later my CME guy offered me a great deal on a 2017 D1AT. I jumped on it. I’d heard the Traditional Series was warmer/more Martin-like. And that’s certainly what I hear. That D1AT has since been replaced by my new D1T (Torrified/Sunburst). A truly superb guitar. And it’s confirmed my strong preference for the Tradtionals.

I LOVE the Sunburst on your Collings Roy. One day, maybe this year I may join you. The trraditional Collings Dreads continue to haunt me. I tried a D1T recently and it was excellent. They didn't have the Adi or Torrified top version. But I was super impressed. Then I tried a D2HA Traditional and it was perhaps more impressive. (From the player behind the sound hole perspective)
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 01-06-2023, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
I LOVE the Sunburst on your Collings Roy. One day, maybe this year I may join you. The trraditional Collings Dreads continue to haunt me. I tried a D1T recently and it was excellent. They didn't have the Adi or Torrified top version. But I was super impressed. Then I tried a D2HA Traditional and it was perhaps more impressive. (From the player behind the sound hole perspective)
I believe this beautiful, baked and 'bursted D1T left Rev's herd long ago.
Old 01-06-2023, 06:11 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou Intern View Post
I believe this beautiful, baked and 'bursted D1T left Rev's herd long ago.
Five months ago to be exact. Traded it for my Martin D-28CSAA. That Collings was wonderful. But these aged Custom Shop Authentics are jaw dropping. Too bad owning more than two fine guitars isn’t in a retired preacher’s budget. I’d still have that Collings for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
One day, maybe this year I may join you. The traditional Collings Dreads continue to haunt me. I tried a D1T recently and it was excellent. They didn't have the Adi or Torrified top version. But I was super impressed. Then I tried a D2HA Traditional and it was perhaps more impressive. (From the player behind the sound hole perspective)
Completely agree, Gary. This was my third Collings Traditional dread (the others were used) and all were superb. All the others were Adi. This was my least favorite. Maybe because of the Sitka? Or the torrification? Dunno. I’m just a hack. I do know I’d still have it but for my two guitar limit. So by all means, my friend, snag one if it speaks to you. In your gifted hands they all sound sweet.

Last edited by Rev Roy; 01-06-2023 at 10:04 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
collings, collings d1, collings d1a, collings dreadnought