The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-04-2022, 10:22 PM

Default Humidity - Beads, Sponge, Other?

I have a pair of Boveda humidity pouches and I know some people have no problem recharging these, but mine only recharged a few times and now hard as a rock. Even if I submerge in distilled water in a ziplock with all the air out and leave it a week, still won't recharge.

Looking to practice some 3D designing and printing so looking to make myself a humidifier. May design 2... one for people who keep the case flat on the ground and one for upright.

Since the Boveda pouches are rather pricey for how few times I was able to revive them, I was looking at the basic cellulose sponges found in many humidifier devices, then saw someone mention Mr Clean magic erasers (melamine sponges) but not sure if mold resistant or if hold more water longer etc...

It was also mentioned to use humidifier beads, for cigars/weed... but mostly finding 70% humidity which is about 20% higher than I'm after. Few I found at around 60% but not many and again, none 45%-55%.

I'd like to make and share the design... so wondering what you guys are using? Sponge? Melamine? Boveda? Humidity Beads?

... and if the beads, what %?
Old 03-04-2022, 10:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THRobinson View Post
I have a pair of Boveda humidity pouches and I know some people have no problem recharging these, but mine only recharged a few times and now hard as a rock. Even if I submerge in distilled water in a ziplock with all the air out and leave it a week, still won't recharge.

Looking to practice some 3D designing and printing so looking to make myself a humidifier. May design 2... one for people who keep the case flat on the ground and one for upright.

Since the Boveda pouches are rather pricey for how few times I was able to revive them, I was looking at the basic cellulose sponges found in many humidifier devices, then saw someone mention Mr Clean magic erasers (melamine sponges) but not sure if mold resistant or if hold more water longer etc...

It was also mentioned to use humidifier beads, for cigars/weed... but mostly finding 70% humidity which is about 20% higher than I'm after. Few I found at around 60% but not many and again, none 45%-55%.

I'd like to make and share the design... so wondering what you guys are using? Sponge? Melamine? Boveda? Humidity Beads?

... and if the beads, what %?
Hi THR…
Hello and welcome to the forum (see this is your first post)…

I've been building mine with sponges from either the dollar store or grocery store placed in ZipLock bags with slits cut in them to dispense moisture for over 17 years now.

Before that I put sponges in plastic soap dishes with holed drilled in the top…alas one day I found one around banging around under the headstock of my best guitar and switched to Ziplock bags.

Here's a video I made for students and friends who play.

There are tons of home-made options, and they can be just as effective as store-bought versions. And some of my sponge/ziplock versions are more than a decade old without mold or other contaminates.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-05-2022, 12:00 AM
Runaway Tomato

Hello THRobinson and welcome to the AGF! My humidification is identical to Larry's (ljguitar, post #2 above) - inexpensive sponges in plastic sandwich bags, with slits cut in them.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 03-05-2022, 12:26 AM

use pva sponges far superior they are pricey but work like a charm
Old 03-05-2022, 05:06 AM

I've been using the D'addario humidipaks and they work just fine.
Guild Jumbo Junior (2022)
Luna Henna Paradise(2018)
Martin DX Johnny Cash(2019)
Martin 000-18(2019)
Martin 000C Jr-10 (2022)
Zager ZAD800M (2021)
Fender Squier Stratocaster(2009)
Old 03-05-2022, 05:07 AM
Charter Member

Waterbeads in drilled out soapdish.

You can get both from any craft store or dollar store or Amazon.

They keep my guitar cases at about 50% and only need to be recharged about every 6 weeks.
Old 03-05-2022, 07:49 AM

I’m using a Oasis OH-6 case humidifier which it pretty sweet - it clips on and is magnetized so it works both flat and on the move.

I do the same with my hygrometer which clips on and doesn’t need adjusting.

If you create something I’d look at that model it’s great!
Old 03-05-2022, 07:53 AM

Sponge in a baggie.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 03-05-2022, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCougar View Post
Sponge in a baggie.
Damp athletic sock in a baggie.
Works fine. And if I should lose a sock, I always know where to find one.
And a baggie, too.
David
Old 03-05-2022, 09:30 AM

I have many of the less expensive commercial products but have come to strongly prefer beads. I sew them in little pockets which I can submerge in distilled water (or any water), and with a towel pad off the excess moisture once they have inflated. then either wrap them in several layers of cotton (so no moisture hits the guitar directly) or, best yet, slip them into both sides of connected pouches, which drape over the strings. Then they are inside the guitar, not touching it and there are no wet surfaces.

I did some experimenting a while ago, taking completely dry devices, weighing them, then weighing them soaked. The beads held far more water than anything else (Dampit, Planet Waves, Kyser, Oasis) and of course they last comparatively longer. Nothing to go wrong either. And the price is right.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 03-05-2022, 11:43 AM

I use the D'Addario Humidipaks and they work fine for me.

I know they are more expensive than some other systems, especially the home-brew systems. But I spent a lot of years playing cheap guitars. Now that I finally have a few really nice guitars, I'm not going to cheap out on humidifying them properly.

I used to ride motorcycles. I knew guys that would spend $20,000 on a bike and then spend another $5,000 on useless fringe and chrome trinkets and doodads. And then would buy the cheapest oil, filters and tires they could find. I never understood that kind of thinking and I still don't.
Old 03-05-2022, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

If you are willing to give up your accessory compartment, I found that placing a humidifier in there will still allow the moisture to spread out in the case.

In fact, in theory it will spread out more even as the Lid works as a diffuser instead of a point source. Similar to a Pro photographers soft box versus a point light source.

The Music Nomad sponge is more dense than many other companies. Soak it in distilled water for 10 to 20 minutes and then give it a couple of squeezes. it will not drip after that.

Attaching a wide velcro tape going up the three walls of the accessory compartment allows the Plastic holder to stay in place.

Additionally I have a Oasis meter and an Oasis felt holder. I wrap half of the felt holder around the lid and the velcro backing on the Oasis is held steadily in place.

Old 03-05-2022, 02:14 PM

@lowrider - How do you maintain a proper humidity level with the water beads? I see some made for humidors, usually 70%, some 60%.... been trying to find some 50% ones with no luck. Are the regular cheap water beads just luckily around 50%?

@GoPappy - I have those now, and I agree... most of my guitars are fairly cheap, but my acoustic, although not a sought after model, retails fairly high, though I got it barely used for a steal. Still, very nice and not wanting it to crack/split. That said, the Boveda... I think you need 2 sets of pouches. 1 set in the case and 1 set recharging. My issue now is mine are recharging but not very well, lots of hard chunks, and take 4+ days to recharge. Those water beads and sponges, take minutes.

@zovanou - Those sponges, PVA... I'll have to look into. I know the Mr Clean ones are dense but also made of an abrasive material. Those PVA look about the same, minus the abrasive.

As I mentioned, I am learning 3D software/design and printing... rather learn making something useful which is why designing something for the guitar vs buying it or using a ziplock.

Are those water beads prone to dripping?

Was thinking making a double wall design so if drips, it drips inside the humidifier itself instead. Not 100% sure how to make it such it sits inside the hole at a 90% angle for upright storage without twisting the strings too much. But, if I use the beads, I don't need to worry about cutting up sponges to fit.
Old 03-05-2022, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THRobinson View Post
@lowrider - How do you maintain a proper humidity level with the water beads?
I think regardless of the humidification device, you need to figure out how much humidification is necessary for your specific situation. Best way to do that is to get a hygrometer for the case. Tracking the humidity is also helpful because of regular ups and downs due to weather and seasonal changes.
Old 03-05-2022, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
I think regardless of the humidification device, you need to figure out how much humidification is necessary for your specific situation. Best way to do that is to get a hygrometer for the case. Tracking the humidity is also helpful because of regular ups and downs due to weather and seasonal changes.
Yup... here in Canada (Ontario) we range from probably 25% (which is currently is) up to near 60% in summer.

Summer, not a worry.... I want between 45-55% and the occasional 60% isn't too much.

Winter... this is where I worry. Boveda dries out in 1-2 weeks and takes too long to recharge. Again... option mighty be 2 buy a 2nd set and alternate... but I like the DIY stuff and rather that method.

That said... the water beads... humidifier beads at cigar shops and weed stores, like the Boveda, have a set humidity level, which again is often 70% and too high. That's why I was asking about the water beads.... are they typically 50% or just luck of how many you used and your environment that your case is at 50%?

In other words... would everyone get 50%? do the number of beads affect the %?

Rather ask on here in case someone knows, versus ruining my only acoustic as a guinea pig.

That said.... "regardless of the humidification device".... apart from Boveda/humidifier type crystals.... most devices are damp sponges, not sure how you'd adjust the "levels" of a damp sponge. I guess bigger/smaller sponges?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
humidity, sponge