The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-31-2021, 05:50 PM

This Fraulini for sale on the forum would be a great candidate: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...light=fraulini
Old 12-31-2021, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc132 View Post
This Fraulini for sale on the forum would be a great candidate: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...light=fraulini

I was going to post this listing - looks like a good bet if you have the budget and want to act fast.

In saying that you could be patient and wait for a Waterloo to come up for sale too. I was hunting for a WL-S this year (started in July) and luckily snagged one in October within an hour of where I live. I know it may seem bleak now but in my search I noticed 3-4 that had gone up for sale in Canada just this year so they are out there to be found. There are probably even more common in the US if that’s where you reside. Come to think of it a Deluxe did come up for sale on this forum about a month ago.

I am biased but I think you are on the right track no matter which way you go. Everyday I grab my WL-S and I am just floored with its tone. It’s hard to define but I think if you are hunting for one you already know what I’m talking about.

Last edited by A.Wilder1; 12-31-2021 at 08:37 PM.
Old 01-01-2022, 10:06 PM
Charter Member

You just missed a Waterloo WL-S Deluxe over in the classifieds here...sold December 2nd....

Bummer cause Waterloo makes great guitars.

I have a WL-K and couldn't be happier.

You could look at a ladder braced DE model from Iris.

I know you said your didn't want Mahogany back and sides though so it might not be your cup of tea.

I'm also a big Iris fan as I own the OG, CH, and DF models. All are fantastic guitars.
Old 01-04-2022, 04:20 PM

Thank you all for the thoughtful feedback! The more I think about it the more I really just want to wait it out and find the Waterloo. I have faith one will surface.

Also, I agree with the comments about the Yairi sounding great but a bit more "sivilized" (as they say in Huck Finn) than I'm currently after.
Old 01-08-2022, 07:38 AM

Well… did you get one? [emoji6]
Old 01-08-2022, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

I owned a Waterloo 14 X and a Huss and Dalton 00 14 crossroads and played then side by side for quite a while. I always thought the H&D gave me everything the Waterloo gave me, plus a whole lot more range, depth and satisfaction. The H&D cost me about $1K more new at the time, but I thought it was worth it. I don’t know what the market has them at these days. Of course YMMV.
Old 01-08-2022, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayheyjeff View Post
Played a Hauver at AcouaticMusic.org on fairly recent visit and was pretty impressed. Pretty reasonably priced too. No doubt it’s on their website.

Jeff
Acousticmusic.org is great. First bought from them in 2000 and have since purchased two Bourgeois (and several other delights) from them. They have a GREAT on-site luthier who checks out used instruments for any issues first. I'd buy with complete confidence from them.
Old 01-08-2022, 04:01 PM

I own and play a WL 14xtr, but have always wanted to come across a WL-S, now you have planted a serious GAS bug in me Anybody watch Yellowstone? Ryan Bingham, the guitar playing cowboy, has his guitar smashed by Lloyd, who feels bad and goes to a pawn shop to replace it. Sure enough, he come back with a Waterloo WL-S. Ryan plays it beautifully.

As for the Fraulinis mentioned, my old guitar teacher, Mary Flower plays one. A true blues finger style master who played a vintage Gibson forever, she gets a great vintage sound from it. Those guitars are built with the same kind of light touch with a nod to the old styles like the Waterloos.
'95 Collings 0002H
'80s Martin M36
Old 01-08-2022, 05:27 PM

I’ve heard about the Yellowstone episode… don’t personally watch the show but I’d like to check it out.

What episode is it and approximately where in the episode? Thank you.
Old 01-12-2022, 04:53 PM

Here they are:

WL-S
https://reverb.com/ca/item/49170926-waterloo-wl-s-tr

WL-S Deluxe
https://reverb.com/ca/item/49279692-...-deluxe-parlor
Old 01-12-2022, 05:38 PM

Does anyone know to what extent these are copies of Oscar Schmidt Stellas and Souvereign, because the other waterloos seem to be quite faithful copies of Kalamazoos. Has someone had the opportunity to compare them? The ornamentation is obvious but how are they under the hood. The body size seems to be between a concert size and grand concert, and the scale length is shorter than the most common Schmidt scale lengths. The wood choice and the quality seem also to be atypical of Schmidt instruments. I own a birch OS stelloid concert and a late 10s, early 20s oak and spruce Stella 603 grand concert thst is in need of some restoration, myself. These guitars may be a cheaper alternative to the waterloo, but they are old and you have to live with fat necks, flat boards and very soft frets. They are a lot cheaper though.
Old 01-12-2022, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolbury View Post
Sorry I don't know which episode. The 4th season just ended with episode 10, so I'm guessing it was episode 7 or 8. He plays a number on it when he gets it, and next episode he plays Beth a great tune in the barn on it. Haha, only AGFers would watch a series for the guitar!

Oh hey no worries… I think I’ll check it out tonight! Thank you!
Old 01-12-2022, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Wilder1 View Post

Welp! They’re gone. Hope it was someone here.

Last edited by A.Wilder1; 01-08-2023 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-13-2022, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

I saw those pop up yesterday. Like I explained before you have check in looking for one to pop up and be ready to press buy in now the minute you see one. I thought the prices were pretty good considering everything about the guitar market today. Especially Waterloo ladder braced guitars.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 01-13-2022, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

If you can wait, order a Crooked Star from Tony Klassen of Ark New Era guitars. Crooked Stars are kind of his version of Waterloo guitars and cost about the same. Simple appointments, satin finish, no ornamentation but each one is hand built by Tony with hide glue. The cool thing is he can build you pretty much whatever you want. I wanted a copy of the earliest Nick Lucas with the 24.25 inch scale and Tony nailed it. Red spruce top and cherry b/s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg klassen1.jpg (43.6 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg klassen2.jpg (41.6 KB, 95 views)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
collings, parlor, stella, waterloo