The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Which guitar would you buy
Gibson L-00 Original (Standard) for 2500€ 1 20.00%
Gibson Custom Shop L-00 Early 30´ for 3800€ 4 80.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-16-2021, 07:05 AM

Default Gibson L-00 Original vs Custom Shop L-

Hi there!

I hope somebody can maybe help me out with some insights here and help me deciding between those two Gibsons

I am in the market for a new Gibson L-00 and I found two models I would like to purchase:

1. A new Custom Shop "Gibson L-00 Early 30s with adirondack top, premium woods special thin nitro lacquer (3800 €)

2. The new standard line Gibson L-00 Original in Ebony with Spruce Top (2500 €)

The L-00 Original with Spruce top in Ebony Black costs around 1300 € less than the Custom Shop and I am wondering if its worth the premium?

Does anyone have some experience with those models especially the Original?

Is a Adirondack top more preferrable than a spruce top on those small guitars?

Thank you in advance and happy holidays !!
Old 12-16-2021, 07:52 AM

I have played both. While I liked the Standard L-00, I could not live with it as my primary guitar. Sound is rich, with great natural reverb, very warm mids, but it just lacks to much body for me. The CS was almost the same but a bit brighter (less "boxy") with more ooomph in the low end. If you have many guitars, Standard is nice. If you want 1 guitar on which you can play most styles and that you want to grab most of the time, the CS is a more complete prospect.

Note that I like the standard version of the new L-00 way better than the last one I tried (from 2018 I guess). The previous version felt very dry and dead to me. But this new one is very nice.
Old 12-16-2021, 07:14 PM

While I have been around a Gibson Custom Shop 1930s L-00, their take on a "1932" L-00 and such I have never even heard of an "Early-1930s" version. So cannot help you there. Have any links to it?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
custom shop, gibson acoustic, l-00, original