The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-09-2021, 02:37 AM

Default Loose endpin jack on Gibson L-00 Studio Walnut

Hi guys,

I've had the benefit to be loaned, or more or less gifted, a Gibson L-00 Studio Walnut by a friend who has too many guitars. Turns out it's the perfect guitar for me, or at least as close as I could get - I love the 16" fretboard radius as I play fingerstyle and come from the classical guitar world.

Anyway, I spent alot of my time since having it working on Sebastopol by Henry Worrall with that extensive percussive session using tambor technique, and I guess it finally did loosen something up. The endpin has often come loose as I play standing up and the strap pulls on it, so I just screw back in as needed; but, now the whole jack is rattling around in there and digging away at the body and won't tighten

I'm about to change strings and try a real bone saddle courtesy of MacNichol Guitars, but I was wondering if anyone had pointers and suggestion how to fix this situation. I'm reluctant to go permanent with superglue or something crazy as the Fishman UST seems to be damaged - (that's another storty that I think has factory origins as the cheap white plastic pin of the 6th string appeared to be HAMMERED into the bridge to hold it in place and my friend had barely played it) When I can budget I'm planning on a Fishman mic blend/pu install, but that's not now.
Old 11-09-2021, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowyote View Post
Hi guys,

I've had the benefit to be loaned, or more or less gifted, a Gibson L-00 Studio Walnut by a friend who has too many guitars. Turns out it's the perfect guitar for me, or at least as close as I could get - I love the 16" fretboard radius as I play fingerstyle and come from the classical guitar world.

Anyway, I spent alot of my time since having it working on Sebastopol by Henry Worrall with that extensive percussive session using tambor technique, and I guess it finally did loosen something up. The endpin has often come loose as I play standing up and the strap pulls on it, so I just screw back in as needed; but, now the whole jack is rattling around in there and digging away at the body and won't tighten

I'm about to change strings and try a real bone saddle courtesy of MacNichol Guitars, but I was wondering if anyone had pointers and suggestion how to fix this situation. I'm reluctant to go permanent with superglue or something crazy as the Fishman UST seems to be damaged - (that's another storty that I think has factory origins as the cheap white plastic pin of the 6th string appeared to be HAMMERED into the bridge to hold it in place and my friend had barely played it) When I can budget I'm planning on a Fishman mic blend/pu install, but that's not now.
Are you reaching into the guitar and holding onto the threaded washer that butts up to the tailblock when trying to screw it in from the outside? If not, it'll just spin instead of tighten.
Old 11-10-2021, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenumber2 View Post
Are you reaching into the guitar and holding onto the threaded washer that butts up to the tailblock when trying to screw it in from the outside? If not, it'll just spin instead of tighten.
Yeah, I'll do that. I didn't know if there were better or more secure solutions short of glue/loctite.
Old 11-10-2021, 06:36 AM

If it's a switchjack (use chrome to open the image link I got from a Google search) type of jack you should understand the construction. It has to be set for the tailblock thickness. If it used to be tight then it probably is set correctly and all you have to do is remove the strap button nut and tighten the outer 12 mm nut while holding the jack still with a needle nose or nail in the hole you'll see when you remove the strap button nut.

When they're loose you can sometimes keep the whole thing from turning by gently pulling on the strap button nut as you turn it to remove it.

Otherwise it's strings off and get one hand inside the guitar to disassemble, set correctly, then tighten up.
Old 11-11-2021, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
If it's a switchjack (use chrome to open the image link I got from a Google search) type of jack you should understand the construction. It has to be set for the tailblock thickness. If it used to be tight then it probably is set correctly and all you have to do is remove the strap button nut and tighten the outer 12 mm nut while holding the jack still with a needle nose or nail in the hole you'll see when you remove the strap button nut.

When they're loose you can sometimes keep the whole thing from turning by gently pulling on the strap button nut as you turn it to remove it.

Otherwise it's strings off and get one hand inside the guitar to disassemble, set correctly, then tighten up.
Thanks! I'll keep ya posted. I'm waiting on my new strings to arrive.
Old 11-11-2021, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

tightening it would be the correct solution

its a threaded fastener - you have to hold both sides

a tiny drop of loc-tite threadlocker can keep it from loosening again but it shouldn't really need that if tightened properly and if the lock washer is in place

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 11-14-2021, 07:24 AM

Default Fixed . . . for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
tightening it would be the correct solution

its a threaded fastener - you have to hold both sides

a tiny drop of loc-tite threadlocker can keep it from loosening again but it shouldn't really need that if tightened properly and if the lock washer is in place
I had to end up adjusting the endpin from the inside and even with my thin arms it was a tough job on this guitar. I superglued the inside washers and bolt to the correct spot on the endpin considering the endblock thickness - at least close enough to give me enough room to tighten down the washers on the outside because it had worked itself completely loose.

I'm planning on the next few month to have the endpin removed altogether to get the Fishman blend stereo system put in along with a few other mods. I just hope I can find a tech with bird arms to do the job because I was really pushing up against the braces to get this done and felt like I heard them creaking.

Last edited by Crowyote; 11-16-2021 at 06:38 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
endpin jack, fix, gibson, l-00, repair