The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-27-2021, 11:32 AM

Question Gibson j35

First time poster here!
So to give y’all the Campbells soup version, I have a Gibson j35 reissue. Came from sweet water, I have all warranty papers, receipt, ect...so the guitar has always had a misprint on the label inside the sound hole and says j15, however everything else is correct and says j35. SN search shows it’s a j35. I’ve already reached out to Gibson and they’ve authenticated it and said it was just something missed by quality control. They are actually mailing me another label. Question 1, any idea of how this effects the value? Will it drag it down, I’m sure without my prof of documentation and proof of authentication from Gibson, it would make it a hard sale Or trade. And question 2, would it be worth removing the old label and applying the new one they send, or should I leave the old label and slap the other beside it, or just leave the new label in the case untouched with all documentation in case I ever sell?
Thanks y’all!
Old 10-27-2021, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisjkaleb View Post
First time poster here!
So to give y’all the Campbells soup version, I have a Gibson j35 reissue. Came from sweet water, I have all warranty papers, receipt, ect...so the guitar has always had a misprint on the label inside the sound hole and says j15, however everything else is correct and says j35. SN search shows it’s a j35. I’ve already reached out to Gibson and they’ve authenticated it and said it was just something missed by quality control. They are actually mailing me another label. Question 1, any idea of how this effects the value? Will it drag it down, I’m sure without my prof of documentation and proof of authentication from Gibson, it would make it a hard sale Or trade. And question 2, would it be worth removing the old label and applying the new one they send, or should I leave the old label and slap the other beside it, or just leave the new label in the case untouched with all documentation in case I ever sell?
Thanks y’all!
Someone who knows what they are looking for would easily be able to tell a J-15 from a J-35. The J-15 is very different with a maple neck and walnut b/s and an abalone rosette compared to mahogany neck and b/s with no abalone on the J-35. Different tuners and pickguard too. They really only share a body shape. That said, I would swap the label just to make the guitar "complete" and remove any doubt if you plan to sell.
Old 10-27-2021, 01:45 PM

I'm certain you could only get $100 for it - so that's my offer. I'll cover shipping though

LOL, I have a J-35 and love it. Agree, it's super easy to tell it's a 35 and not a 15. Who know, maybe like mis-printed money or coins, it may be worth more.
Old 10-27-2021, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

Keep the label that factory sends ya in the case and enjoy the J35. A killer guitar and as others have stated, any gibson player will know it isn't a J15. Also I think the serial number will give birthday and model?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic, gibson, j35, misprint