The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-06-2021, 04:43 AM

Default Should I buy a Hummingbird?

I really want a hummingbird. I should buy a D18. I love the sound of a D18 over a hummingbird, prefer the neck on a D18 with the longer scale length and wider nut. Everyone tells me to get the D18, but I really want a hummingbird. What is going on!
Old 10-06-2021, 04:58 AM

The answer seems simple - buy the D-18 and swap the pick-guard.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 10-06-2021, 05:06 AM

You want what you want. My J-30 is a stripped down hummingbird and it has been a great friend for all of the 28 years I have owned it.

If the hummingbird want is new, it might fade. If you have wanted one a long time, then you should probably find a hummingbird. The long term wants tend to stick with me until I find what i have been looking for.
Old 10-06-2021, 05:10 AM
Charter Member

Oh Man.

I have such a tortured Bird history. I have bought 4 of them because they have a draw - an allure. They look like heaven, and they are a great singer's guitar - nice syrupy chords with decay that doesn't compete with your voice. But oh man, they never seem to stay around and they fly the coop. I have given up.

I've also owned D18's. Magical as well. That Martin sound... power when you need, and yet can be dialed back.

I love both. If you have the money get both. If you choose one, I might have to say D18.

Here are two examples of me playing my former friends.

Old 10-06-2021, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalFromChatham View Post
Oh Man.

I have such a tortured Bird history. I have bought 4 of them because they have a draw - an allure. They look like heaven, and they are a great singer's guitar - nice syrupy chords with decay that doesn't compete with your voice. But oh man, they never seem to stay around and they fly the coop. I have given up.

I've also owned D18's. Magical as well. That Martin sound... power when you need, and yet can be dialed back.

I love both. If you have the money get both. If you choose one, I might have to say D18.

Watched both videos, preferred the D18, still want a hummingbird more.
Old 10-06-2021, 05:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
The answer seems simple - buy the D-18 and swap the pick-guard.

That's hilarious !
... and put a Gibson headstock decal / sticker over the CF Martin logo.
Old 10-06-2021, 05:33 AM

Get the Hummingbird. Every time I settle for something else I end up buying the more upscale whatever and I just end up losing money. The Hummingbird will hold value too. There are lots of people out there just like you who "always wanted one".
Get the Hummingbird then you wont have to wonder.
Old 10-06-2021, 05:37 AM

The truth is, you'll never be sated and satisfied until you have both...and maybe not then.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 10-06-2021, 05:37 AM

My hummingbird is head and shoulders above everything else I've ever played. It's amazing for strumming, flat-picking, and fingerpicking. The tone is balanced and mellow but with plenty of sparkle. The neck is extremely comfortable to play for hours. It just inspires me to pick it up and play all the time. It's also very good capo'd up the neck - the intonation is great and while it gets higher (obviously) when capo'd, it doesn't get thinner, which a lot of guitars do - it still retains a good deal of bass and balance rather than becoming gratingly over-trebbled.

It's a dream to sing to - it never gets in the way or makes you feel like you're trying to complete with it. It's just there to support you and make you sound good - feel like it's really got your back as where some guitars are really a fight to sing over. This probably depends on your voice, but the hummingbird has got a bit of a mid-scoop right where my voice is (and I suspect most male voices), but my wife also says she like singing while I play it more than any other guitar she's sang alongside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalFromChatham View Post
These are a great example of what I'm talking about with singing over a hummingbird -- it just doesn't force it's way to the front of mix like a D-18 does; singer and guitar sound far more in harmony to me in the hummingbird video, and fighting each other for attention in the D-18 one. Great playing and singing in both Sal

My hummingbird is basically the only guitar I will ever need. The only other guitar I own is a £98 all-laminate beater for when I'm going places I really can't face taking the hummingbird, but I like the hummingbird so much that I take it places I wouldn't previously have taken a high-end guitar (like camping) simply because I love playing it so much that anything else is a let-down. I had a GS min koa before the hummingbird (which I loved), and I expected to keep it as a travel guitar, but I found that I missed my hummingbird so much that I just travelled with it. After 6 months of not playing the mini I sold it and I've not missed it.

(note that mine is a custom shop one, so YMMV etc, but it's basically the same thing -- you will just have to wait longer for the aging than I did. See review in my sig if you're interested)

You should try a hummingbird and a D-18 side by side if you can - they're quite different animals. Then take home the one that speaks to you most.

Last edited by RalphH; 10-06-2021 at 07:14 AM.
Old 10-06-2021, 05:38 AM

Wink

Wait for the Martin CEO-21 that will be Martin's take on the Hummingbird.
Old 10-06-2021, 06:44 AM
Charter Member

When my Martin D-18 was stolen in 1963, the insurance would only pay for a Hummingbird. In 1969 I had enough money to trade the Hummingbird toward a Martin D-35, but I was disappointed in the D-35's terrible action. It was a handicap until I took it in for repairs 30 years later and the repairman did a set up.
The Hummingbird was easier playing and sweeter sounding than the Martins, and wish I had not let it go.
I you are already wanting the Hummingbird more than the Martin, you might never be happy with the Martin.
Old 10-06-2021, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

No, don't buy a Hummingbird, buy something you don't want. Just kidding, buy the Hummingbird. Don't let other people spend your money for you.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 10-06-2021, 07:00 AM
Charter Member

I was in the same position as you - I wanted a J-185 badly but every time I picked one up It was like...ehhhh...it just doesn't vibe with me. But I still wanted it. I resisted and eventually wound up with a used Collings SJ which was head and shoulders above the new J-185's. The allure of a jumbo Gibson just kept after me even though I never really vibed with any that I played. I resisted and it worked out.
Old 10-06-2021, 07:06 AM

Get the D18, you won't be happy with the Hummingbird because of what you just described, you'll long for the D18. You like the idea of loving to own a Hummingbird, but I thjnkbwhat you would actually love is the D18, my 2 cents!

And I'm the opposite, I would love a Hummingbird because I love the sound (more than a D18), the short scale and the neck (over a D18)!
Old 10-06-2021, 07:09 AM
Charter Member

I too have wanted a Hummingbird for a long time. But every time I tried one in person, my reaction was "meh," kind of dull sounding and not particularly loud. And the necks are on the small side for my hands. The problem is, I compare them to loud, bluegrass oriented guitars in my stable or others like the Martins hanging on the wall next to them so of course they seem weak and anemic. It's been said to never try a Gibson right after playing a bunch of Martins and I would agree.

The Bird however does one thing really well, and that is to harmonize with a player's vocals. When you get a good one, it can sound like 2 or 3 instruments accompanying a singer, and that's really awesome.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
d18, gibson, hummingbird, martin