The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-30-2021, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmckenna45 View Post
Need some help here, from other Baby-Boomers. I have to believe others are having the same issues.

I've reached the 3rd period of the "hockey-game-of-life" (60yrs), and I still love playing, but I need help[ to find a guitar that easier to play (finger style).

I'm not sure what will help - I already massage my forearm every night.

I'd like to find an acoustic that will give me the least strain/pain. My guess is that would look like the below - but (admittingly) I could be wrong about the desired result from each of these - I'd appreciate input on that too:

Shorter Scale (less reaching)
12 frets (I have big hands)
OM/OOO or OO body size (more comfortable to hold)

Does a 12 fret/short scale guitar have less string tension, or more - than a long scale? String tension is important, but I currently tune down one or two steps to reduce the tension.

What are your thoughts on the above features making life easier on my "guitar-arm"? And what acoustics (around $2500 used) fall into this list?

Thanks.
The string tension has more to do with the scale than if it's a 12-fret or a 14-fret.

What you're describing fits perfectly with my Taylor 322ce 12-fret, which has a 24 7/8 scale.
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 06-30-2021, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

I didn't catch the comment for this but for fingerstyle in particular I find my nylon string instruments more comfortable for play longer periods of time.

Light weight is also a factor.

My go-to couch guitar is my eo folding classical and I find I can play that for a very long time comfortably.
Old 06-30-2021, 01:18 PM

Fingerstyle Guitar for older player? (BABYBOOMER ALERT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmckenna45 View Post
Need some help here, from other Baby-Boomers. I have to believe others are having the same issues.

I've reached the 3rd period of the "hockey-game-of-life" (60yrs), and I still love playing, but I need help[ to find a guitar that easier to play (finger style).

I'm not sure what will help - I already massage my forearm every night.

I'd like to find an acoustic that will give me the least strain/pain. My guess is that would look like the below - but (admittingly) I could be wrong about the desired result from each of these - I'd appreciate input on that too:

Shorter Scale (less reaching)
12 frets (I have big hands)
OM/OOO or OO body size (more comfortable to hold)

Does a 12 fret/short scale guitar have less string tension, or more - than a long scale? String tension is important, but I currently tune down one or two steps to reduce the tension.

What are your thoughts on the above features making life easier on my "guitar-arm"? And what acoustics (around $2500 used) fall into this list?

Thanks.
kmckenna45,

Old septuagenarian fingerpicker here; I use my nails as picks.

Can only really say what worked for me. I like big body guitars, as in Jumbo and Grand Orchestra. A few years ago, I was having trouble with my left wrist and fingers, possibly due to an old injury, or possibly due just to 'old'.

I went out in search of a short scale guitar, and settled on a Taylor 412e-R Grand Concert. In addition to short scale, the 'R' refers to rosewood back and sides, which is a personal favorite. Felt really good while play-testing it, and after a couple of visits to the guitar store, I b(r)ought it home. Was the right decision, along with now supporting my guitar on my left leg (I'm right-handed and always used right leg support). Cut back a bit on my playing time and was careful to listen to my left hand. Net result was that a few months later I was feeling good again and playing without pain during and after. Right now I'm back to playing any guitar anytime. Re-tweaked my wrist shovelling snow once, but just stuck to that one short-scale guitar again for a few weeks.

I'd say the important thing is to have a guitar that is comfortable for you to handle. The short scale will have less tension, which is an issue that you already recognize. Taylor guitar necks are pretty much all 1.75" width, and the 412 fits that. It also came (used) with Elixir PB HD Lights (.013-.053) on it, and that's the gauge I still use with it and on others. HD gauge uses Medium trebles and Light bass strings, and the medium trebles don't feel slack at all with the slightly lesser tensions.

Make sure you have a good set-up on anything you play, as that will help keep the tension down too. And if necessary, if lights don't do it for you, try .011s on whatever you are playing.

I can't emphasize enough the importance of posture in all of this. I made a radical change (of leg support) and believe that contributed to my current and continued wellness. Also keep in mind that a 12 fret and a 14 fret will have the same length of scale at both 'standard' and 'short' scales. Id est, the difference is in where the bridge is placed, so that a short scale 12 fret will have the same scale length as a short scale 14 fret.

Good luck and good hunting,
Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 06-30-2021 at 07:33 PM.
Old 06-30-2021, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

The easiest playing guitars I've ever played were 20s Martin 0 and 00 sizes, and the later very similar 0 and 00 NY Martins from the early 60s, though neither fit your price range. My 00 15 Custom 12 Fret is easy to play with .12s, but I think you could go lighter.

I'm, at 70, a long way from executing my geriatric plan, which is selling everything to buy a 0 18 from the early twenties. I still have dreads with .013s on them.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 06-30-2021, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofdogs1950 View Post
I went through a similar search for a small, comfortable and easy
to play guitar recently and ended up buying a Blueridge BR341.
It's a under your price limit at ~$1,000.
Sitka/mahogany
24.75" scale - I use EB Earthwood 80/20 custom light strings
It has a very loose and easy to play feel. Bends are easy.
I was surprised at the loose feel. I have had other guitars with
short scales that did not play as easily.
1 7/8" nut/2.25" at the saddle
I haven't measured the nut but it feels narrower that 1 7/8".
Twelve fret, of course.
The overall construction is excellent with particularly nice wood.
The Sitka top is very even and tight grained..
I think the BR341 compared favorably to other small guitars I've
owned including a Collings 001A, Martin 00-42 and Martin 00-21.
I'm a geezer at 71 and was looking for a couch guitar for fingerstyle
playing.
I also currently own a Farida OT22 which is another possibility.
Completely different guitar, think Gibson (OT22) vs Martin (BR341).

Mark
I agree here with Mark (above). I own the Blueridge BR-361, which is the rosewood version of the BR-341. Everything he says about it is true. Mine is strung with Phosphor bronze and silk strings, which adds to the easiness of play.

Even so, there are too many variables to consider in accepting the advice of any of us. For example, the Blueridge BR 341 (and 361) has a modified V neck profile. I love it, but I have seen numerous posts on this forum from people who cannot enjoy a modified V. You are simply going to have to try out some guitars with different necks.

As a geezer myself, and fingerstyle player for the most part, I think far too little attention is paid to the potential comforts of low-tension strings. Silk and steel have already been mentioned. I would add (and prefer) GHS Thin Core, Newtone Heritage, Optima Vintageflex.

What I would recommend is this: Sample some possible guitars. Buy a new (not used) one, and have it immediately set up with one of the brands of low tension strings. If you take a guitar which has been set up for standard tension strings and try to switch to low tension strings, you will have problems (buzzing), especially on a short scale guitar. I play low tension 12's. These have about 30 pounds (!) less tension than standard 12's. Low tension 11's on a short scale probably will be too loose.

I also strongly endorse two other approaches others have mentioned. First, the "Neck-Up" device. Second, an inexpensive nylon string guitar to play when you are having pain issues. The nylon strings are not only very easy to play, the different neck profile will lead to a slightly different use of your fretting hand, minimizing pain from repetitive motion.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 06-30-2021, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

….setup…setup….setup….

…once you find a quality guitar that has a body size and neck profile you like…the setup of the guitar is the way to realize ultimate playing comfort……in my experience….it’s far more important than the specific make and model of guitar….
Old 06-30-2021, 04:00 PM

On the BR341, I have to wonder if BR has slightly changed the specs.
My 2020 model has a barely noticeable V. I actually had to hold the guitar
to verify this before I posted. I was thinking it was rounded, but no.
Total agreement on strings. Round core is good. I've had very good luck
with EB Earthwoods. Nice strings for little $.
I briefly mentioned the Farida OT22. Heck of a nice guitar and only
$423. I did do a fret level, but it sounds fantastic and it is quite loud.
Gibson sounding, LG2 copy.
Good luck in your search.
Oh, almost forgot.
My BR341 came from Brian at Sun Valley Guitars.
Either Brian or the factory did a really good setup on my guitar.
I can't remember when I last got a guitar that had the nut cut
properly. The neck is perfectly finished with absolutely no fret sprout.
(It came from DRY Arizona.)
A proper setup is very important to how well a guitar plays.

Mark
Old 06-30-2021, 04:17 PM

Mark,

There is a world of difference between the feel of round core strings and the low tension string brands I mentioned.

By the way, my BR-361 is from 2010.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 06-30-2021, 04:21 PM

Now I have some strings to try!
Always on the lookout for good strings.

Mark
Old 06-30-2021, 08:49 PM

If you tune down 1/2 a step and then capo the first fret to bring it back up to pitch you will have both reduced the tension of the strings and shortened the scale length (long 25.4 to extra short 24.0) on the guitar you already have. You will also have effectively widened the string band (E to e) slightly and also eliminated any difficulties a "high nut" might have caused. All at no cost to you.
If this doesn't do it for you then perhaps an old gut strung 12 fret parlor guitar with a wide nut might be a good fit.
Old 06-30-2021, 09:45 PM

I was about to suggest the same thing. Or even tune down a full step to DGCFAd and turn a 25.5" scale into a 22.75" scale!

At the very least, the half-step/capo trick that hermit hollow suggested will give you an idea of a shorter scale guitar without having to buy one.
Old 07-01-2021, 01:52 AM

Lots of great advice here -- but let me add one more thing not mentioned.

If your forearm is getting strained and tired (you mentioned having to massage it out after playing) then I'd highly recommend getting a percussion massager. These devices help to increase blood flow to the deep tissues and make muscle recovery much faster. You'll also find them helpful for all those other Boomer ailment zones like hips, calves, upper back, shoulders, and so on.

There are MANY percussion massagers on the market -- some are good but overpriced and others are just trash. The one I've discovered to be of good quality and value is the Playmakar MVP.

https://playmakar.com/product/percussion-massager/

But, as I said, there are many out there to choose from. BUT, it's important to find one that's relatively lightweight and easy to handle (or you will fatigue the hand that's using the device designed to reduce fatigue. )

Anyway, I find that using this on my forearm and shoulder right after playing greatly decreases my muscle fatigue (I myself do not get soreness) and allows me to get back at it sooner.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-01-2021, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRL View Post
I was about to suggest the same thing. Or even tune down a full step to DGCFAd and turn a 25.5" scale into a 22.75" scale!
That's a notion I kick around from time to time, but when I tried it I didn't like the change in tone due to the reduced string tension. Is there any rule of thumb as to how heavier a string set to change to?
Old 07-01-2021, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
A different guitar might not be the answer (but don't let me stop you).

Have you tried wearing a strap and positioning the headstock higher more like the classical position? Also are your guitars setup well? Does putting a capo on make them much easier to play? If so, its time for a setup.

I wear a strap seated, and I like to push the headstock up. I'll also often play a tune with a capo on 2 just because it cuts down on the reach.
This and/or a good setup could make life MUCH easier on your fretting hand.
Old 07-01-2021, 04:16 AM
Charter Member

Guitars I've set up are the easiest playing guitars you'll likely ever see.

I mostly play my Gibson J-185, But I pulled out my Guild D25m the other day. And it plays really sweet too.

If you are close to KCMO Id be happy to let you play one of mine. And if you like it. Set up what you've got.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
12 fret, baby-boomer, ooo 18 000 18 vs om 21, short scale, short scale ooo om easy