The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-20-2021, 02:41 PM

Default Fender Catalina

Hey,

I bought for 500 € a black Fender Catalina (Made in Japan).

Guitar was build 1983.

Someone knows this guitar and can tell me about his experiance?
Old 04-21-2021, 10:08 AM

Nobody?

Okay.

Have a nice week.

Greetings from germany
Old 04-21-2021, 04:44 PM

I bought one of these for my brother for his birthday around 1988. It was a terrific guitar and he was very happy to have it. It might not have been exactly the same model -- mine was a natural finish. But I think that's what it was called -- 6-inline headstock, solid top.
Old 04-23-2021, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehrer View Post
Hey,

I bought for 500 € a black Fender Catalina (Made in Japan).

Guitar was build 1983.

Someone knows this guitar and can tell me about his experiance?
I have one. Bought it new in 1982 (or thereabouts). I hated it until I had it set up, but now I quite enjoy playing it for a change from my other guitars. It's a cheap laminate guitar (I think it was about £120 when I bought it - maybe 400 euro in today's terms), though it may have a solid spruce top. I don't honestly know whether it's aged well, but I do think 500 euro is at the top end of the price scale for what it is.

It has a cheap plastic nut and saddle, which I've never bothered to have changed and it's not complex in tone. It also has quite a narrow nut, so it's not, for me at least, a guitar for complex fingerstyle arrangements, but it serves as a strummer, and I don't get precious about it, so it's useful to take out and about and to lend to other people.

I recently bought a Tonewood amp (the effects amp that sticks to the back of a guitar), and I tested that on the Fender, thinking it would add to the complexity of tone, but no. It just sounds like the guitar slightly louder and with effects added.

But it has a place in my collection. It's no longer pristine (I dropped it!) so it's probably not worth very much, and its utility to me is greater than any amount of money I'm likely to get for it - but if you'd like to buy it for 500 euros, it's yours!

If you've got any specific queries, I'll gladly try to help.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
catalina, fender