The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-07-2019, 07:08 PM

The case isn't heated or cooled obviously so I wouldn't leave a guitar alone in a car even in my awesome Hiscox cases, but it does slow down the sudden temperature changes that are really bad for them. This is important to me since I live in a very cold climate and transport the guitar to church every weekend. The Hiscox cases work great.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

...almost any case other than black chipboard is going to provide some level of protection from the elements...that’s their job...(there I go stating the obvious again)....the question is how much protection?...I reckon i’ve owned several dozen different types of hard cases....they varied quite a bit in terms of materials..design and construction

.....because Hiscox cases are constructed with foam they do in fact offer more protection from temperature extremes than most....the interlocking seal on a Hiscox case does offer more protection against humidity than most cases....they really are a great design..

...if you’re looking for better than most protection combined with manageable girth and weight..at a not too crazy price...I haven’t come across anything better...

...no I have not owned or seen every case made so I would love to hear about other cases that folks think highly of...
Old 06-07-2019, 11:04 PM

If you're looking for short term (i.e. 2-3 hours or so) protection from temperature spikes/drops I don't believe you can do better than the TRIC cases from Godin. As mentioned previously, they are not the best flight cases as they are not nearly as impact resistant as either Hiscox or more high end cases. However, they do a very effective job at insulating over a relatively short term. I have a couple of Hiscox cases and they would be my choice if I were flying. But when I camp and face the reality that my guitar might have to sit in a car for a couple of hours in less than ideal temperatures, I pick the TRIC cases every time.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 06-08-2019, 08:02 AM

Default Do hiscox cases protect guitar against temperature/humidity changes?

I’m going to take a contrarian view on Hiscox. I had a Brook Torridge that experienced a significant crack in the side in shipping to another AGF member. It was packed perfectly but both I and the member felt the inside padding that are in the Hiscox was TOO HARD. My theory is that it was dropped by UPS and because it was so hard, the force was transferred directly to the guitar. Not trying to throw shade on Hiscox but that was my experience. I understand Lowden no longer uses Hiscox. Yes - you can stand on the case, but if the guitar is not protected from every day use, it is of no value.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:17 AM

Default Do hiscox cases protect guitar against temperature/humidity changes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguy View Post
I’m going to take a contrarian view on Hiscox. I had a Brook Torridge that experienced a significant crack in the side in shipping to another AGF member. It was packed perfectly but both I and the member felt the inside padding that are in the Hiscox was TOO HARD. My theory is that it was dropped by UPS and because it was so hard, the force was transferred directly to the guitar. Not trying to throw shade on Hiscox but that was my experience. I understand Lowden no longer uses Hiscox. Yes - you can stand on the case, but if the guitar is not protected from every day use, it is of no value.

You seem to be saying that because that particular guitar was damaged in shipping, Hiscox cases don’t provide protection from every day use and therefore are of no value. That sounds like shade!

Kidding aside, it’s a shame your guitar was damaged. But that could have happened in any case. Since many if not most guitars ship in no case at all (or at best in a plywood case) without any issues, I would guess your guitar experienced unusually extreme trauma — bad luck. No case can provide perfect protection in all circumstances.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:19 AM

Here’s a link from the Hiscox website that’s on point with the OP’s question.

https://www.hiscoxcases.com/build-quality/

It’s all interesting, but scroll down a bit for the description of their heat and cold resistance testing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
guitar case, hard cases, hiscox, humidity, temperature