The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-19-2018, 06:42 PM

Smile Super Champ XD with extras for 2 bills, should I bite?

Found a Fender Super Champ XD with 2 button f/s, high quality cover and has been recently retubed and biased for 2 bills.

I think it's a pretty good deal, the line out would really be a big + for me.

Any strong opinions about this amp? I played the X2 and I know it's not tweakable via USB like the X2 - but the clean channel and simplicity of the two channel, effects off or on really appeal to me.

Thoughts appreciated. Thanks

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-19-2018, 06:57 PM

I'm not much of an "electric" player but I do have a Super Champ XD. I bought it the year it came out. I love the "tube" sound of the clean channel and the 16 different amp models on the other channel. The effects are a bonus. When you consider the cost of a new amp, the pedal and a cover, I think you're looking at a pretty good deal. But like I said, I'm not much of an electric guy so I don't know how it compares to others. I just know it sure is a lot of fun to turn it up to 10 and play along with some blues jam tracks. Great little amp.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:19 PM

It's a lot of amp for $200. I played a Hot Rod Deluxe for years and the XD was a great choice when I was ready for something lighter. I swapped the speaker for a Rajun Cajun, which was a nice improvement in overall tone and clarity. It's plenty loud and also is a good size to use in front of me and line out. Well worth that price.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostpicker View Post
I'm not much of an "electric" player but I do have a Super Champ XD. I bought it the year it came out. I love the "tube" sound of the clean channel and the 16 different amp models on the other channel. The effects are a bonus. When you consider the cost of a new amp, the pedal and a cover, I think you're looking at a pretty good deal. But like I said, I'm not much of an electric guy so I don't know how it compares to others. I just know it sure is a lot of fun to turn it up to 10 and play along with some blues jam tracks. Great little amp.
Thanks GP. Others in the running are the Blues Jr, Voxac10, and the Roland Blues Cube.

These other picks put me in the 500-650 range with extras and no cover, which I ain't got. I have also considered the Boss Katana, but played one at GC that had issues and was brand new. The price sure is right though and plenty of power.

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Old 02-19-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeder View Post
It's a lot of amp for $200. I played a Hot Rod Deluxe for years and the XD was a great choice when I was ready for something lighter. I swapped the speaker for a Rajun Cajun, which was a nice improvement in overall tone and clarity. It's plenty loud and also is a good size to use in front of me and line out. Well worth that price.
Thanks. At 54 I'm not looking to haul around a huge amp. The line out is a big deal to me as well. I had a chance to buy a Blackstar HT-1R for 150 bucks over christmas and kinda regretted not snagging it. The HD is more versatile, for sure.

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Old 02-19-2018, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

Just an FYI...I just sold my (like new) XD on Craigslist for $150. I had it listed for $175 for a few weeks with no takers. It did not have a cover or foot switch.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:48 PM

mostly, they go used for more, but you got a decent buy with cover and FS, my X2 i bought used was kinda dirty but worked and sounded great- that cost $140, i sold it for $220 been sorry i did ever since- i cant find another bargain yet, reason i sold it was with my hearing implant and only needing a small amp, i found a frontman 25R ( i see you have one) and liked the clean sound so much better and it was plenty loud for me, as luck would have it, right after i sold the X2 the 25R developed the worst buzz possible! so now im back to using my 15 watt pawn shop special
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 02-19-2018, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpspitfire View Post
mostly, they go used for more, but you got a decent buy with cover and FS, my X2 i bought used was kinda dirty but worked and sounded great- that cost $140, i sold it for $220 been sorry i did ever since- i cant find another bargain yet, reason i sold it was with my hearing implant and only needing a small amp, i found a frontman 25R ( i see you have one) and liked the clean sound so much better and it was plenty loud for me, as luck would have it, right after i sold the X2 the 25R developed the worst buzz possible! so now im back to using my 15 watt pawn shop special
Ha, yeah, that kinda sucks. I bought the 25R for $40 and upgraded the speaker. I love the cleans and it takes pedals extremely well. I play in a duo with my wife. For many years it was acoustic only, but we have added a lot of electric blues material and our pa board doesn't have the # of xlr inputs needed to play an acoustic set and then play electric without a bunch of changes and hassle. We do have an extra 1/4" or two, so the line out is appealing.

Did you prefer the cleans on your frontman to the clean channel of the XD? What is the volume difference between the XD and 25R? Any insights appreciated.

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Old 02-20-2018, 06:50 AM

tell you the truth, i really shouldn't say because i hear with an implant, but the 25R just seemed to have a that really nice fender twang i was looking for- but id have to say, with normal hearing, the XD would probably sound better to most for some reason, maybe the tubes, i dunno, as far volume, i dont remember much difference between the two, the XD has nice effects, but i do remember this, i only cared for 2 of the modeling amps, and while the effects are nice, i do have a vox ad30VT that seems superior in the effects sound- most reviews are positive about this amp, and i can see why, it is a really good amp and i wouldnt mind having it back, with that being said, here's one of the negative reviews i found, ill post this because it has the 25r in it -https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=857448
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 02-20-2018, 07:03 AM

I've got one and like it but struggled with the sound of the line out. Put it through a small PA once and it just didn't sound much like the amp itself...
Old 02-20-2018, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpspitfire View Post
tell you the truth, i really shouldn't say because i hear with an implant, but the 25R just seemed to have a that really nice fender twang i was looking for- but id have to say, with normal hearing, the XD would probably sound better to most for some reason, maybe the tubes, i dunno, as far volume, i dont remember much difference between the two, the XD has nice effects, but i do remember this, i only cared for 2 of the modeling amps, and while the effects are nice, i do have a vox ad30VT that seems superior in the effects sound- most reviews are positive about this amp, and i can see why, it is a really good amp and i wouldnt mind having it back, with that being said, here's one of the negative reviews i found, ill post this because it has the 25r in it -https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=857448
Thanks. I disagree with this posters view that the distortion channel is acceptable but kind of "fizzy". Channel 2 on the 25R just plain sucks and is only usable at very low gain levels - even then, just barely. Any OD pedal is far superior IMHO.

I'll check out the Vox too.

I appreciate your efforts in gathering information for me. Much obliged.

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Last edited by roylor4; 02-20-2018 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoryDavis View Post
I've got one and like it but struggled with the sound of the line out. Put it through a small PA once and it just didn't sound much like the amp itself...
Thanks Dory. I have heard that the line out is before and after the tube section, I don't know which is true. A line out that doesn't sound like the amp would not be something I'd care for.

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Old 02-20-2018, 11:47 AM

I have a Superchamp XD that I put a Celestion G10 speaker into and it sounds great for low volume practice stuff. It also takes pedals well. They are worth what you're paying for one!
Old 02-20-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
I have a Superchamp XD that I put a Celestion G10 speaker into and it sounds great for low volume practice stuff. It also takes pedals well. They are worth what you're paying for one!
Thanks for the input.

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Old 02-24-2018, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

I paid a good bit more for mine, so yes I think its a good deal. I really like mine, for what its worth. And please don't think it will not crank up pretty loud. It will.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Tags
fender, fender super champ xd, fender tube and modeling, super champ xd