The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-14-2020, 08:24 AM

I once found a pre-War Regal jumbo 12 string sticking out of a trash bin. But as noted, nobody will be able to help with the Kalamazoo without pics. Normally a 1930s Kalamazoo flattop (if that is what you are talking about) will have a "KG" FON stamped on the neck block not impressed into the back of the headstock. I have, however, run across a Cromwell archtop which if I recall correctly had a "DG" FON impressed in the back of the headstock. I seem to also recall that it was an export model. One of the elements which adds to the confusion is during the Great Depression Gibson supplied music store chains with house brands many of which shared certain characteristics.

Last edited by zombywoof; 10-14-2020 at 09:09 AM.
Old 10-14-2020, 08:40 AM

The pics of the archtop don’t go with the zombie original post.
Old 10-14-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidanunited View Post
And wondered if i might use your knowledge?
HI all,
I have recently bought my first Archtop and love it but even after loads of research cannot nail the exact model.
I am hoping with the vast knowledge on here if you have time some might be able to help?
I believe (Maybe wrongly ) that its one of the Gibson 1930s budget range , the stripe up the fret board makes me think its a Cromwell but the head stock has no name engraved just tortoiseshell patterns. It also looks a lot like the Recorder king bar the neck.
It is all original nothing added to it , with Grover winders and inside the sticker is white with Gibson made in usa etc.
I would really love to know what it is and would be grateful for any help.
I will add some images once i work out how to do that as copy and paste doesnt seem to work
Added a video of it being played at my house last week.
I know some purists look down their nose , but i love the sound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUCLYkCNvhs

Regarding this guitar, the three position markers at the 12th fret and skunk stripe down the board do point to a Cromwell - probably a G4. I would, however, expect to see Waverly strip tuners though and a single ply pickguard.
Old 10-14-2020, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
Regarding this guitar, the three position markers at the 12th fret and skunk stripe down the board do point to a Cromwell - probably a G4. I would, however, expect to see Waverly strip tuners though and a single ply pickguard.
Exactly what I came in to post. I would assume it’s a Cromwell + a couple of “upgrades” - cool guitar. I have the Kalamazoo equivalent a KG-31.
Old 10-14-2020, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
Exactly what I came in to post. I would assume it’s a Cromwell + a couple of “upgrades” - cool guitar. I have the Kalamazoo equivalent a KG-31.
Up to a few months ago I owned a 1935 Capital J2 archtop which was the same guitar as the Cromwell down to the skunk stripe. I, however, have never been able to make peace with an f-hole archtop so I let it go in a deal which brought me a 1920 L3.
Old 10-14-2020, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Up to a few months ago I owned a 1935 Capital J2 archtop which was the same guitar as the Cromwell down to the skunk stripe. I, however, have never been able to make peace with an f-hole archtop so I let it go in a deal which brought me a 1920 L3.
You know Rule #1 = whatever keeps you playing!!

I have always aspired to playing an archtop, just like I always aspired to dating Cindy Crawford. As you well know, these K’zoo/Cromwell/Capital are all over the map. Their “Arco-Arched” i.e., steamed and pressed solid tops and backs are all over the place. The one I found is the most “open” one I have played. For what I am capable of playing, I love having a cool old econo Gibson archtop that I can spend time with and truly enjoy it.

Would love to hear about and even see that L3 - you find a good one? Some of the pre-Loar Gibsons can sing; others can sound really choked. How wide is the nut and what is the neck profile? Thanks!
Old 10-14-2020, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidanunited View Post
And wondered if i might use your knowledge?
HI all,
I have recently bought my first Archtop and love it but even after loads of research cannot nail the exact model.
I am hoping with the vast knowledge on here if you have time some might be able to help?
I believe (Maybe wrongly ) that its one of the Gibson 1930s budget range , the stripe up the fret board makes me think its a Cromwell but the head stock has no name engraved just tortoiseshell patterns. It also looks a lot like the Recorder king bar the neck.
It is all original nothing added to it , with Grover winders and inside the sticker is white with Gibson made in usa etc.
I would really love to know what it is and would be grateful for any help.
I will add some images once i work out how to do that as copy and paste doesnt seem to work
Added a video of it being played at my house last week.
I know some purists look down their nose , but i love the sound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUCLYkCNvhs
A local shop has a 1941 Kalamazoo archtop. The headstock shape looks very similar but no stripe on the fretboard. It also doesn’t have a truss rod. I played briefly a while back but wasn’t terribly impressed. Probably just my playing. Yours sounds great!
Old 10-14-2020, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbeinct View Post
The pics of the archtop don’t go with the zombie original post.
Yes, I was aware of that when I replied this morning. If you check the dates on my two previous posts on the thread, you'll see that they're dated 2014, which is when the post that started the thread got posted.

whm
Old 10-15-2020, 03:42 AM

Aidenunited,

My best guess is a Cromwell G-5 judging from your photos and video.

The G-4 is certainly the most common Cromwell but would not have the bound fingerboard yours appears to have. On a G-6 the f-holes would also be bound - again that does not appear to be the case from what I can see. Also, the G-6 had an inlaid logo, the remaining evidence of which would be more obvious than I can see with the alteration yours has had. The few photos of a G-5 I’ve seen show a bound fingerboard but not bound f-holes. Anyway, that’s my logic. Of course, if you can find the Gibson FON (Factory Order Number) stamped inside the guitar, often on the neck-block (tricky on an archtop I appreciate) then we can use Spann’s Guide to be more almost certain (unless it was made in 1939 for which there is almost no data).

Here is a Grossman catalog excerpt I found on another forum which you may find informative:

Regards,
Clive
Old 10-15-2020, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
You know Rule #1 = whatever keeps you playing!!

I have always aspired to playing an archtop, just like I always aspired to dating Cindy Crawford. As you well know, these K’zoo/Cromwell/Capital are all over the map. Their “Arco-Arched” i.e., steamed and pressed solid tops and backs are all over the place. The one I found is the most “open” one I have played. For what I am capable of playing, I love having a cool old econo Gibson archtop that I can spend time with and truly enjoy it.

Would love to hear about and even see that L3 - you find a good one? Some of the pre-Loar Gibsons can sing; others can sound really choked. How wide is the nut and what is the neck profile? Thanks!
Over the years I have found I prefer Epiphone archtops to Gibsons. A guy I know has offered me a pre-War Martin F1. I probably should at least try it before I rule it out.

These old L3s have a sound of their own. Not to everyone's liking I am sure.
Kind of a bluesy Tin Pan Alley sound with punchy mids and some tinny overtones when played with picks. The higher up you play on the board the lows and lower mids deaden out. With only a 13 5/8" lower bout it does not move a lot of air. One of those guitars you do not want to hold against your body when playing. But it is an engineering marvel. As nothing on it is adjustable, the top does not have an even arch but is graduated so as to line the fingerboard up perfectly with the bridge. The reddish mahogany varnish burst is drop dead gorgeous and you have not lived until you have seen real herringbone inlay.
Old 10-15-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Over the years I have found I prefer Epiphone archtops to Gibsons. A guy I know has offered me a pre-War Martin F1. I probably should at least try it before I rule it out.

These old L3s have a sound of their own. Not to everyone's liking I am sure.
Kind of a bluesy Tin Pan Alley sound with punchy mids and some tinny overtones when played with picks. The higher up you play on the board the lows and lower mids deaden out. With only a 13 5/8" lower bout it does not move a lot of air. One of those guitars you do not want to hold against your body when playing. But it is an engineering marvel. As nothing on it is adjustable, the top does not have an even arch but is graduated so as to line the fingerboard up perfectly with the bridge. The reddish mahogany varnish burst is drop dead gorgeous and you have not lived until you have seen real herringbone inlay.
Sounds wonderful! Thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic, help id, kalamazoo, serial number, vintage