The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 11-18-2002, 09:44 PM

Default Basic Question... F Chord

OK... I've been playing for nearly a year.... can jump around on "open" chords like nobody's business. Really doing a good job with transitions, and various strumming.... even do pretty good with singing while playing.... even when the lyrics don't fit the strum (i.e. most Dave Matthews stuff.)

Still like an idiot, after all this time, I am still KILLED by Bar (Barre?) chords.

Is there some freaking trick I'm missing.

I'm working on various songs with Fs and Bs mixed in... but feel like I just can't get over the freaking hump.

No matter how many times I form the chords, my fingers just feel lost when I try to make them.

Sorry for such a rookie question.... especially after all this time, but please help!
Old 11-18-2002, 10:03 PM

The best advice I can give is to keep on trying to make them. One day you will hit the chord and say, "Wow....I just did it!", and things will progress from there. Just keep practicing! I know that sounds simple, but there isn't any book or special suggestion that is going to make you better faster than plain, old practice.
Old 11-18-2002, 10:06 PM

Try practicing some of your open chords without using your index (barre) finger. For example, get used to playing E major with your 3rd, 4th & 5th fingers. If you can get this down to an automatic motion then it's easy to add the index finger for the bar to make an F, G, A and so-on.

I don't mean you should always play your open E this way. I use my 2nd, 3rd & 4th fingers (I call my thumb my 1st finger) to play an open E, but you need to practice playing it with 3,4 & 5 also or you'll never be comfortable playing the barre chords.
Old 11-18-2002, 11:11 PM

if you arent already doing this...move your thumb down to the middle of the neck when playing barre chords...if you are already doing that...just keep practicing...itll come to you eventually

matt
Old 11-19-2002, 08:19 AM

Default Re: Basic Question... F Chord

Thanks for the advice guys...

One thing I added to my practice routine in working on this is doing it "blind."

By doing it with my eyes closed I have to really visualize where things are going and concentrate on what the chord "feels" like.

I really appreciate the tips here.... It is pretty embarrasing to admit that this is STILL giving me fits.... but it is something I've got to work through.
Old 11-19-2002, 08:46 AM

Buy Jamey's book. It's all there. There is a blurb on barre chords, but more importantly, there are tools to help you understand and solve problems. Repeated incorrect practice mean that you'll keep making the mistakes over and over.

Also, I think trying to play "blind" is the exact opposite of what you should be doing, IMHO. You should be watching your fingers with laser-like focus, watching each finger as you slowly move from one chord to another.

Here's the link:

http://www.guitarprinciples.com

I agree with Noflatpick. Try to get used to playing most of your chords with fingers 2-4.

No need to apologize for asking this question. Barre chords are inherently difficult, especially F.

If you want to succeed, you should strike out on new paths rather than travel the worn paths of accepted business. John D. Rockefeller

Uncork New York!
Old 11-19-2002, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Guitar Dad
Barre chords are inherently difficult, especially F.
Another trick to hitting the F is to just cover the two high strings with your index finger and then grab the low F with your Thumb. (I also use this a lot for an open D chord, where I'll grab the F# with my thumb).

'03 714CE-LTD -- '92 K22CE -- '95 PRS
Old 11-19-2002, 02:38 PM

Moving your elbow downward (towards the floor) and forward (in the direction your toes are pointed) swings your hand up higher, allowing you to get the meat of your thumb on the middle of the back of the neck and gives you a little different angle of attack on the fretboard. I think this, in combination with some of the previous advice may help.
Old 11-20-2002, 05:40 PM

...also, the F and Bb positions are among the hardest of the barred positions....the longest finger reach due to the greater fret spacing, and because more force is required to fret a string as you approach the nut (the string actually stretches the most there).
'01 Fender Strat Deluxe
'90 Alvarez 5040
'76 Yamaha FG300
How hard can music be? There's only 12 notes.
Old 11-20-2002, 07:18 PM

those were my toughest chords too..years ago. Now that i think about it, now, a whole lot of my songs are done in F, F#, and G bar chord (same thing) with all kinds of little bass riffs thrown in just to enjoy all the work of getting past that hump. it's worth it. Keep at it.
Old 11-21-2002, 08:09 AM

screw the bar..leave the 1st fret low F out of it...carpel tunnel waiting to happen lol
Old 11-21-2002, 08:24 AM

A couple years ago, I got the F down cold, but I still have problems with other barres. I didn't learn the F with the index finger all the way across the first fret, just the bottom two strings. In turn, I wasted an opportunity to make other barres a lot easier moving forward

I like the advice about learning open chords without the index finger. I wish somebody would have told me that two years ago.
2002 Taylor BabyM
Old wood tambourine & wire brushes
Old 11-22-2002, 02:50 PM

I had this same problem a while back. At the time I was playing an Alvarez guitar with medium strings. After getting a Taylor 310 with light strings, I was finally able to master this. I still had to work at it, but the Taylor neck and the lighter strings made a huge difference.

The other thing that seemed to help, which happened the same time as getting my Taylor guitar was that I worked on learning a song using all Barre chords. The Beatles song Hard Days Night was the song that put me over the hump. It took a couple of weeks practice, but after learning the song using all Barre chords, something just clicked and I have not had any further problems.

Maybe that song allowed me to just focus on changing between a couple of different Barre chords throughout the whole song, without trying to go between open chords and Barre chords. When I got comfortable playing an entire song with the Barre chords, for some reason it made it easier the next time that I tried to combine using both open chords and Barre chords in a song.

Might not work for anyone else, but it worked for me.

Don't give up...keep trying...it will eventually come together for you.
Old 11-22-2002, 03:56 PM

I can do so so on songs that are all barre all the time.... but the changes from barre to open really muddle me.

Right now I'm working on "Save Tonight" by Eagle Eye Cherry.

Not a big fan of the band, but it is a fun little song.

Progression is:
Am -> F -> C -> G

That Am to F move is just nasty sloppy.... there is either a 1/2 measure delay, or if I keep time, it sounds like I'm vomiting in the sound hole of my guitar!

It is getting better every day, but still sucks pretty bad.
Old 11-22-2002, 04:08 PM

try what someone said earlier...play the Am without your index finger...it should make the transition to F much easier...

its just going to take a lot of practice...ill tell you what i tell the kids i teach guitar...dont get discouraged, just keep working at it and you'll get it

matt
www.joeyjustsaidit.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell