The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-01-2023, 06:59 PM

The cracks on the lower bout are most likely due to ecessive dryness. The one on the upper bout are probably due to the different expansion and contraction rates of the wood and pickguard - a common problem with Gibson's larger pickguards. The bridge saddle is also almost non-existent in height - a possible situation of needing a neck re set.
Old 01-01-2023, 07:48 PM

As the owner of a 1974 Gibson SJ Deluxe, I’ll agree with everything that’s been said above but will offer another perspective on the body “separation” by the heel. It’s likely not an issue. From your photos, it looks just like what’s happened on my guitar. I’ve had this guitar for over 30 years and it’s remained completely stable. Hasn’t changed a bit.

The cracks on the top are the larger issue. These guitars are heavily braced and overbuilt - the tops don’t vibrate as freely as vintage or modern Gibsons with single cross bracing. So repaired cracks in the top will likely make that even worse.

There are also a few other challenges with 70s Gibson acoustics - the low and wide frets are crap, the necks can be ridiculously thin, the neck joints used questionable construction methods and the pickguards often shrank and sunk the tops with them. To top it off, Gibson also let factory seconds (stamped “2” on back of headstock) and Bargain guitars (stamped “BGN”) out into the wild. I’ve even seen some guitars with both stamps.

Most of these acoustics need a neck reset and a refret, so if you’re still considering it, build that into your cost of ownership. As others have mentioned, you’re way better off getting something from the 90s-2000s, than the 70s.

https://i.imgur.com/UaduMao.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/y2CEBNv.jpg
Old 01-01-2023, 09:49 PM
Charter Member

Is there any remaining rationale to consider this guitar?
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 01-01-2023, 10:40 PM

Default a thought

OP seemed to me to be concerned about sound, not any 'mojo' associated with age. Like collector cars, the market for old guitars is not for amateurs, and like with old cars, the chances of winding up with an aging relic needing way more repair than the resulting value allows, are very high. As others have mentioned, sounding good is not guaranteed by age.

I suggest OP go buy a new instrument and let somebody who wants that needy thing have it.
Old 01-02-2023, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

There's one for sale on craigslist near me that looks to be in pretty good shape and he wants $1000 for it. I think that price is crazy
Old 01-02-2023, 12:38 PM

Well, they’re not all complete garbage. It’s just that they often need some serious work and the double braced construction has its limitations. My 74 SJ Deluxe is a good player now and it sounds good. Not as good as my recent J45, but not bad. Depending on condition $1,000 isn’t a bad price considering what everything else goes for these days.
Old 01-02-2023, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

What is so infuriating about Gibson from the later half of the 60s into the 70s is some of those guitars are really good, and you could be walking away from a great sounding guitar. Probably not, but there's always a chance.

My experience with Gibsons I've played is that all are good through the 50s, and into the early sixties, though variances guitar to guitar are great. But I'd take any of them. Into the sixties, good guitars continue to be built. Necks and bridges can be liked or disliked, but after 65 things went downhill fast. I played a 68 Epiphone Texan that was drastically inferior to my 65. These were made in Kalamazoo with J 45 bodies. But I played a 72 square shoulder Gibson, can't remember witch model, that was fantastic. That is so infuriating. I would never ever buy one sight unseen after 1960.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic, acoustic guitar, gibson, gibson j-45