The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-01-2022, 08:25 AM

I am mostly an electric player but I wanted a decent acoustic so I checked out a number of guitars and ended up with the G-Writer. The feel of the neck is most important to me and this felt much like a Strat neck to me. The build quality to me is excellent, I don’t see any excess glue anywhere and I quite like the satin finish. I see that Gibson is now offering port covers on their website.
Old 12-01-2022, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo MacIntosh View Post
I've played two different G-45's and liked them both -- great tone and playability. I really appreciate the soundport. The only reason I don't own any Generation Collection guitars is they have thinner bodies. I noticed a volume decrease of about 15%.

I have a J45 Studio Walnut with the thinner body. My ears like the thicker body Standard, but I measure the Studio as 1dB softer than my 12 string Standard.

I think the Driftwood review wasn’t a good fit for the G45. It threw a reverse halo effect - the G45 has a thin nitro finish, so it scored poorly on many tests. A Driftwood guitar would suffer similarly.
Furch D24 SR 12 string
Rickenbacker 330w 6 string
Old 12-01-2022, 10:46 AM

Thanks everyone it seems like a mixed bag with what people have found with these Gibsons.

I have previously had a few Gibsons (LG2, J45 studio and a J45 50’s original)

They were all built to a good standard (they had the usual minor Gibson quirks but nothing I could really find fault with).

I do miss that J45 and sometimes think I should just start saving again to get another!

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Old 12-01-2022, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick84 View Post
Thanks everyone it seems like a mixed bag with what people have found with these Gibsons.

I have previously had a few Gibsons (LG2, J45 studio and a J45 50’s original)

They were all built to a good standard (they had the usual minor Gibson quirks but nothing I could really find fault with).

I do miss that J45 and sometimes think I should just start saving again to get another!
I would say go try them out in a shop if you can. Especially if you're on the fence and you've already owned high end Gibsons. These G series are not very similar in terms of build or tone (walnut clarity vs mahogany warmth). I think they're Gibson's attempt to share some entry level market. My G-00 definitely got me turned on to Gibsons. I have since picked up a L-00 standard that I got a good deal on. The L-00 is a different animal. The G-00 has much or fundamental clarity. The L-00 sounds muffled compared to it, but it has that soft warmth that I like as well. I've also been hankering for a J-45 now. All of this thanks to the G-00. So I guess Gibson's plan worked on me!

Btw, another cool thing I like about my G-00 - the lack of finish has allowed the top to darken up really quickly. In about a year of sitting out it's gone from pale to a nice light brown color.
Old 12-01-2022, 11:26 AM

I have the predecessor to the G-45 which is the G-45 Studio. The Studio is built well and sounds great with lots of sustain and comes with binding and a pic up. The sound is genuine Gibson.

Now the G-45 todays version to me does not have that Gibson sound and has no binding and no pickup. The sustain is okay and feel I would rather have a Martin DX2 series guitar when it comes to price and sound. I am not a fan of the sound port. this is one Gibson that I would not consider after playing it and then comparing it to my G-45 Studio.
Taylor 214e SB DLX
Old 12-02-2022, 01:47 AM
Charter Member

I tried a G-00. I felt that the fit and finish of the wood work was very nice. It was well set up and playing very nicely. The only cosmetic knock was the rosette decal looked very cheap. The reason I sent it back was the tone was rather dreadful compared to my Martins. I characterized the voice as "honky", very strong in the upper midrange. I reminded me of someone talking through a megaphone.
2023 0-18
2023 Guild D-1212
1977 Takamine F-400S
1976 Takamine F-365S
60's Harmony H1213
Old 12-02-2022, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick84 View Post
I’ve been looking at a G Writer which I can choose from 4 different guitars for a very good price.

How have people found the build quality on the newer Generation guitars? I watched a video of a review of a G-45 were they cut the guitar in half and this revealed some really shoddy workmanship according to the reviewer.

This is what has put me off taking the plunge : (

Also did any G owners get a feedback buster for the player port with their guitar? Or does this need to be sourced separately?
A few months back, I played a few guitars in a large shop in UK (PMT), one of which was a G45. I thought it was okay, a good 'feel' to it. Didn't want to buy it though. The cost premium for the 'Gibson' on the headstock, wasn't worth it compared with the price competition. But if you want one, fine. Go for it.

Auden Chester 45
Eastman AC322ce
Sigma SDM-SG5
Deering Goodtime Leader O/B banjo
Epiphone IBG SG (in cool dude black)
Old 12-02-2022, 03:20 AM

When I think of well built guitars, it's been a very long time since the name Gibson comes to mind. As has been mentioned by others, I've seen much more expensive Gibsons with QC issues.
Having said that, I've played a couple of the G series and they're OK. I think the name on the headstock will serve you well if you want to sell it later, for what that's worth.

At the risk of being obvious, at $1000 one has a few options. But not American made.
Schecter SV Shredder

“Trust gets you killed, love gets you hurt, and being real gets you hated.” ~ Johnny Cash (1932-2003)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
generation, gibson, gibson guitar