The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-09-2022, 01:11 PM

Default Trying to date vintage Washburn D15-12

I have a much loved but long-since played twelve string acoustic guitar.

It was my first guitar, bought from a second hand shop and it was the soundboard against which I learned my interpretation of folk/blues guitar playing.

It is a vintage Washburn D15-12 which, as far as I can establish from various on-line sites, because of its five (or six) digit serial number suggests that it was produced some time between the late 1970's and early 1980's.

Washburn apparently picked up its production in 1978 after a rather long hiatus due to a change of ownership etc, so the first year of their latter day production seems to have been 1978. On-line references suggest that the first digit of the serial number will designate the year of production.

My guitar however has two different serial numbers (of course it does… I would expect nothing less), six digits on the back of the neck block (803022), and five digits on the cover strip (945?0).

These serial numbers would then suggest either 1978 or 1979 as the year of production. (They could of course also mean 1988 or 1989, but these I have ruled out as I already had my guitar by 1984.

It is not a biggie, but it would be nice if I could get some clarity on its production year, country of origin and possibly the actual production house. Perhaps someone has been on a similar journey and can provide me with suggestions as to where I could look this up? Suffice to say that I have exhausted Google.

I have decided now to re-string it as a six string, so that it can be played and not just be left standing in the corner gathering dust.

I swapped out the original plastic (why plastic?) nut and bridge for a tusq (artificial ivory) nut and bridge which provides greater resonance and have had the action lowered for improved ease of playing.

This may be the start of a whole new relationship.
Old 02-10-2022, 10:03 AM

Default Hi There

Your D15-12 was made in late 1978 and more then likely it was still made in Japan you can tell by the squared off bridge and Martin style headstock also the change over was only a few weeks. The V head was made late in the 82's.( 82-83 ) from what I remember but I could be off on this.
The serial number had no rhyme nor reason and still makes no sense today so pay no attention to it.
They made this model only between early 1978 to about 1982/83 and should be all laminate with really an unknown back and side woods
Old 02-10-2022, 02:12 PM

Hey
Thanks for replying.
I am glad to hear late 1978, but what exactly do you mean by 'change over was only a few weeks"?
Am a bit of an understudy here but what do you mean by 'all laminate with really an unknown back and side woods'
Really appreciate your input.
Old 02-11-2022, 09:19 AM

Default OK

Well when Beckmen ( they sold to start a winery in California ) sold to Rudy and 2 others the change over was fairly quick to ( Fretted Industries,Inc ) and they later became US Music Corp.
There wasn't a large lag in production once it was sold. Rudy often would make runs of 500 to see how well they sold before continuing with any model.
As for it being a laminate well it means its pieced together by laminating woods together and we are unsure as to what the back wood was it might have been up to 3 different types from what some have said.
hope this helps you
Old 02-11-2022, 09:39 AM

Have you tried buying it some flowers and taking it out to dinner?
Old 02-15-2022, 01:09 PM

Hey ship of fools
Thank you for your input, I appreciate the info.
It has been most helpful.
Old 02-15-2022, 01:10 PM

Hey Benjo
Thank you for the suggestion.
I sent off a Valentines Card yesterday, will see how far that gets me..
Old 02-15-2022, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presuming Ed II View Post

It is a vintage Washburn D15-12 which, as far as I can establish from various on-line sites, because of its five (or six) digit serial number suggests that it was produced some time between the late 1970's and early 1980's.

Washburn apparently picked up its production in 1978 after a rather long hiatus due to a change of ownership etc, so the first year of their latter day production seems to have been 1978. On-line references suggest that the first digit of the serial number will designate the year of production.

My guitar however has two different serial numbers (of course it does… I would expect nothing less), six digits on the back of the neck block (803022), and five digits on the cover strip (945?0).

These serial numbers would then suggest either 1978 or 1979 as the year of production. (They could of course also mean 1988 or 1989, but these I have ruled out as I already had my guitar by 1984.
According to the official Washburn site, serial numbers for Washburn acoustic guitars are found in the soundhole (I've never heard of "the cover strip" on a guitar, by the way--that's a new one)--that in most cases, the first two numbers indicate year of manufacture, though not allows. As you say, in some cases only the first number is relevant. And in the case of Washburn examples created after 2010, usually the first four digits provide the year it was made.

Some pertinent serial number information: The official Washburn FAQ states that Washburn guitars with five or more serial numbers were made in the late 80s-2000s. Five digit serial numbers indicate creation in the 1980s. Five digits or less--typically from the 1980s. Guitars with four serial numbers: 1970s to early 1980s (the Washburn FAQ relates that pre-1978 guitars cannot be tracked by serial number).

Also from the valuable Washburn FAQ: If there is no serial number present, the instrument is likely a prototype, or sample, and it's impossible to determine its exact age.

Bluebook of Guitar Values lists the Washburn D15-12 as having been manufactured from the late 1970s to early 1980s.

Bottom line: You need a four digit (ideal), or possibly five digit serial number in the soundhole to help establish the exact year of manufacture for a Washburn D15-12.

Last edited by Inyo; 02-15-2022 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-15-2022, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presuming Ed II View Post
Hey Benjo
Thank you for the suggestion.
I sent off a Valentines Card yesterday, will see how far that gets me..
Always be a gentleman!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic, d15-12, twelve-string, vintage, washburn