The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-16-2020, 06:13 AM

Default James May Ultra Tonic pickup ROCKS

Very seldom do I post any reviews but felt this was worthy.
Just me and my guitar. That is the sound I want when plugged in. I am tired of "drinking the kool-aid" and beleiving all the advertisers stating what their product does and finding out it is not what I was expecting. Over the last years I have been buying and selling guitars, pickups, mixers, di boxes, modeling boxes, etc, etc. I finally made the decision that I wanted simple. Just my acoustic guitar and me. I recently bought a Martin 000-15sm without a pickup. A couple days ago I put in a James May Ultra Tonic Pickup. I am not usually a Martin fan (sorry) but I do like their Mahogany guitars. But this pick up is the best. I have tried about every brand, style and combination of pickups and this is the keeper. Best tone, best string volume, best bass, best mix no barn door, no batteries. The sound - "just me and my guitar". Absolutely perfect. The volume dial works great and there is no change in tone at low or high volume. No feedback issues as of yet. Is it the easiest pickup to install? No. But, I happen to enjoy projects like this. As with anything there are some people who would be better off having someone install it for them and other people will say that wasn't so bad. I have a concert to do for the Red Cross coming up in a couple weeks and I will put it thru the stage test then. As soon as gigs start picking up again I plan on buying another for my Rainsong Dreadnought which is my main gigging guitar. Or maybe a nice Christmas present could show up under the tree! Hmmm.
Old 11-16-2020, 09:47 AM

Let us know how it works out for you in your performance.
Old 11-16-2020, 12:33 PM

Congrats !
Yes, the UltraTonic is a great one. Installed one in my Merrill C28 and love it. K&K-sound without the low mid rumble and muffled trebles. Perfect !

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 11-16-2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyroger55 View Post
I have tried about every brand, style and combination of pickups and this is the keeper.
Dazzo....? And which UT version, newest v3?
Old 11-16-2020, 01:45 PM

The UT is a great pickup for those who wish they could have the K&K simplicity without the low end feedback concerns and weaker high e string. James' passive circuit is a wonderfully clever concept.
Old 11-16-2020, 06:12 PM

I have to admit I have not tried any Dazzo products but have heard very good reviews about them. I bought the latest, version 3, of the James May pickup. Have tried it out on two different pa systems with no DI box. Still loving it.
Old 11-16-2020, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

I have to agree! James helped me install / fine-tune one in my Santa Cruz baritone, and the tone quality and no feedback are fantastic. I installed another myself in my Santa Cruz H a month or so ago, and its been equally fantastic. I think he’s got a fantastic product, and wish I had those rather than some of the active systems I have in a couple of my other guitars -

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
james may, pickups