The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-04-2018, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
The difference in signals coming out of the back of the amp is whether or not any EQ or effects as applied from the amp are included in the signal. A signal devoid of any of the amps EQ or effects is called a 'dry' signal. On the Fishman Loudbox Artist it's called 'pre-EQ'.

I have owned both the Mini and the Artist and both are fine amps. If you can afford it definitely go with the Artist. The extra power and features are well worth the added expense. When I went from the Mini to the Artist it was primarily for the added phantom power. Look for one used as they can usually be found for a good price. I forget what I sold mine for but it was probably at just under $300.

If you look at both amps on Amazon and click on the photos of the back of both amps and magnify them you will see that the Mini just has one DI out called a 'Mix D.I. Output'. This means that the signals of both channels are mixed in the output. While it doesn't say it, I assume it also contains the whatever EQ and effects you have applied to the front.

Conversely, on the back of the Artist you will see that there is a 'Mix Output D.I. Out (post EQ)' and then two more for each channel that are 'D.I. Out (pre-EQ)'. So with the Artist you can choose to send the mix (both) channel D.I. out to a PA with whatever EQ and effects that you have dialed or you can send each channel individually out to the front of house PA with NO effects or EQ of any kind and instead allow the soundman there decide what to apply for EQ and effects, the assumption being that he knows his system/venue best and can apply what is needed for the best tone. Good sound techs also prefer this as it allows them individual control over both channels (vocals and mic) as opposed to just a single control of both.

So for something like an open mic with a PA where you just plug and go you would best be served to run the mixed DI out to the PA. But on a more formal gig where you have a really good soundman and time to do a good sound check then the dry signal individual D.I.'s would be the better way to go.

By the way, streaming your EP on Napster. Really nice stuff. I liked them all. Probably liked Slumber the best.

Thank you so much for explaining it to me. Now, I understand to connect a DI box. But I'm not sure about my LR Baggs Para DI

Please correct me if I'm wrong, to be able to have me own settings reflected to the PA system, I have to connect my guitar to my LR Baggs Para DI (input) and connect it (DI out) to the amp (Mix DI output) and then to the PA?

OR connect my guitar to my LR Baggs Para DI (input) and connect it (output) to the amp (Instrument) and then to the PA?

Thanks!
Old 04-04-2018, 12:19 AM

Thank you so much, Methos1979 and Nailpicker for taking your time to listen to our music. Didn't expect this to hear from all of you.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailpicker View Post
It might be foolish for me to suggest what sort of amp you need. All I will say is that I have an AS50D among other amps in my lineup. The AS50D is one of my two favorites.

But the real reason for me responding to your post is to mention what very nice voices you both have and how they compliment each other. Very nice and refreshing to hear such nice, clear, melodic, on pitch voices.

The AS50D is actually my closest choice because it's available here in the UAE. But I really like the portability of the Loudbox Mini. I have to order outside the country though.

Last edited by julesrsuarez; 04-04-2018 at 12:28 AM.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesrsuarez View Post
Thank you so much for explaining it to me. Now, I understand to connect a DI box. But I'm not sure about my LR Baggs Para DI

Please correct me if I'm wrong, to be able to have me own settings reflected to the PA system, I have to connect my guitar to my LR Baggs Para DI (input) and connect it (DI out) to the amp (Mix DI output) and then to the PA?

OR connect my guitar to my LR Baggs Para DI (input) and connect it (output) to the amp (Instrument) and then to the PA?

Thanks!
You would not need to use your PARA DI at all if you don't want to as the acoustic amp would basically act as your preamp and EQ/effects. So you would plug the guitar straight into the amp, dial in your EQ and effects and get the sound you like, then send the Mix Output to the PA.

That said you could still use your PARA DI if you want but it would likely be redundant. In that case you would plug your guitar into the PARA and set your amp's EQ to flat, dial in the best tone you can on the PARA, then dial in some more on the amp until you get it where you want and then send the Mix DI Output to the PA.

You could also send your PARA DI out (XLR) straight to the PA and then use the 1/4" output on the PARA to send that signal to your amp. This would give you control over your sound on the amp and the PA control over just the tone from the PARA. But in your original post you stated you wanted to get a better tone to the PA so this would defeat that purpose.

Grab whichever amp you like and then plug the guitar straight into it and take some time to try to dial in a great tone. I think that you will find that any decent acoustic amp will have enough EQ and effects settings to get you a great sound. Note that if you do still want to use the PARA DI in addition to the amp you'll need an amp that has phantom power to power the PARA unless you want to use batteries all the time. The Mini does not supply phantom power but the Artist does. I don't know about the Marshall.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesrsuarez View Post
The AS50D is actually my closest choice because it's available here in the UAE. But I really like the portability of the Loudbox Mini. I have to order outside the country though.
I had the Marshall AS50 for a couple years and it worked out great.
Great quality, features and sound!
Old 04-04-2018, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
You would not need to use your PARA DI at all if you don't want to as the acoustic amp would basically act as your preamp and EQ/effects. So you would plug the guitar straight into the amp, dial in your EQ and effects and get the sound you like, then send the Mix Output to the PA.

That said you could still use your PARA DI if you want but it would likely be redundant. In that case you would plug your guitar into the PARA and set your amp's EQ to flat, dial in the best tone you can on the PARA, then dial in some more on the amp until you get it where you want and then send the Mix DI Output to the PA.

You could also send your PARA DI out (XLR) straight to the PA and then use the 1/4" output on the PARA to send that signal to your amp. This would give you control over your sound on the amp and the PA control over just the tone from the PARA. But in your original post you stated you wanted to get a better tone to the PA so this would defeat that purpose.

Grab whichever amp you like and then plug the guitar straight into it and take some time to try to dial in a great tone. I think that you will find that any decent acoustic amp will have enough EQ and effects settings to get you a great sound. Note that if you do still want to use the PARA DI in addition to the amp you'll need an amp that has phantom power to power the PARA unless you want to use batteries all the time. The Mini does not supply phantom power but the Artist does. I don't know about the Marshall.

The Marshall AS50D has phantom power. But I guess I can use my PARA DI with battery if I'm choosing the Fishman Loudbox Mini. I'm always using it with battery anyway.

I appreciate you answering all my questions and explaining it to me very clearly. Awesome! Thank you so much!
Old 04-04-2018, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
I had the Marshall AS50 for a couple years and it worked out great.
Great quality, features and sound!
Thank you! Are you using a preamp or any EQ before the amp? And are you sending the amp to the PA?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
acoustic, amp, martin 000-15m, pa system, preamp