The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-10-2016, 06:57 AM

Default D-18/D-18e/D28 dithering

Really stuck between a rock and hard place regarding the purchase of a Martin acoustic. The D-18e retro is theoretically the same as the modern D-18 models but with the electronics (and we could go on and on about the Aura+ and the images but that's outside of what I want to ask here). So this means the modern D-18 also has the "high performance" neck? I've read differing reports. And is the D-18e retro really really really "the same" (within reasonable limits) unplugged as the none retro one? You see while I know they are different tones I'm thinking, not being a stage performer, that I might actually get a D28 for the same price as the D18e retro or even, for only a couple hundred more, the rather lavish HD28, and retro fit a pickup at a later date. But if the D18-e is already set up by Martin it might just be better to go the whole hog now. The D-18e is a beautiful guitar in its own right. It's the old "buying for life" situation and I'm dithering and probably waffling. But any advice or pointers or corrections gladly received!
Old 07-10-2016, 07:03 AM

Any chance that you could find a shop that has the three in stock? My guess is that one of them will speak to you. And honestly, you'll get used to, and be happy with, any of thise three.

When you audition a new guitar, it's only a snapshot. Change the room, the strings,the humidity, your state of mind and on any given day, you may choose differently.

Rick

PS - this is a great decision to have to make.Don't overthink it.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:05 AM

Hi, I had the pleasure of test driving both the new D18 and D28 a week ago. The D18 was a lovely guitar, however the D28 was simply stunning. If I wasn't currently looking at j-45s I know where my money would be going!
Old 07-10-2016, 07:35 AM

I would go with the D18 and add electronics. The D18R is hard to resell and I don't care for holes in the side of a classic Martin, just my thoughts.
Old 07-10-2016, 09:22 AM

decide which neck size you prefer then go from there - I had a 2012 D-18, loved the tone, couldn't take the PA neck (especially beyond the fifth fret, way too wide for me)...the Martin 28's, in contrast, have a 11/16" low profile more suited to my style and hand size - all that said, a D-28 is the standard for a reason, but it is rosewood while the 18's are mahogany...

one of these days I am going to get a custom D-18 with an D-28 neck...
Old 07-10-2016, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

I'm the dead opposite of bitraker. I hate Martin's Low Profile neck...too skinny and way too shallow higher up the neck. My ideal custom would be an HD-28 or HD-28v with the MLO neck of the D-18, except no PA taper, and instead going to 2 1/4" string spacing.

Point being...playability concerns are equally as important as tone. Pick the one that feels and sounds best TO YOU.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 07-10-2016, 11:13 AM

I fell in love with the neck profile and the tone of the HD-28. Ironic since I normally like Martin's wider nuts and really wanted to love the current D-18 since it does sound fantastic.

Nick
Old 07-10-2016, 12:14 PM

I did an A/B comparison of a new standard D18, a D28, & a D35 at a local shop about a month ago. I walked out with the D18 & no regrets.
Old 07-10-2016, 03:03 PM

I walked out with the D18 & no regrets.

nice...they are great guitars

so why doesn't Martin make an 18 with a 11/16 neck?

there must be a market
Old 07-10-2016, 03:50 PM

The retro models include very high end pickups. If you don't need a pickup, you can save yourself the money. So far, from my experience, the retro models don't have any obvious down sides, beside price, perhaps. They seem to be favored by a number of performers "in the know" at Martin.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2016, 09:32 AM

Many thanks. Your answer was pretty much where I was heading. D18e retro it is then. Thanks all.

sorry for double post. cant see how to delete it!
Old 07-13-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
The retro models include very high end pickups. If you don't need a pickup, you can save yourself the money. So far, from my experience, the retro models don't have any obvious down sides, beside price, perhaps. They seem to be favored by a number of performers "in the know" at Martin.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Many thanks. Your answer was pretty much where I was heading. D18e retro it is then. Thanks all.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
d-18, d-18e, martin, retro