The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-24-2016, 05:28 PM

Default New to acoustic amplification

Hi

Hoping I'm not too much of a newbie for this forum so I'm looking for a little advice please. I've been playing acoustic steel for many years (Sigma DR-35) and have recently considered getting a small PA setup for guitar and voice. Its really for home use, small social occasions, very small public events or even street corners. I don't know where I may end up. So my questions are:

1 - what kinds of factors should I look for in a system and what components do I need - I don't have huge budget so think low to middle price and small size (eg mini to small), guitar and voice and ideally computer (eg USB) connectivity and control
2 - is it worth adding pickups to my Sigma. Its a nice guitar from the older Sigma productions (solid top) which I've had for over 30 years so I love playing it. Or is it better to buy an electrified acoustic
3 - if I add pickups, what are really good pickups and controls to add to a Dreadnought style guitar

Hoping you can help me

Thanks
Duncan
Old 02-24-2016, 06:05 PM

Hi and welcome!

I'll start by recommending a primer on acoustic guitar amplification. This PDF e-book and video set, created by Doug Young, who is a member here, is a terrific, clear and practical introduction to the subject. I wish it had existed when I was starting out with this stuff. It would have saved me a lit of time and confusion.

http://store.acousticguitar.com/coll...ion-essentials

It will answer most of the questions you have and give you some good advice on how to proceed.

Louis
Old 02-24-2016, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

We'll need your budget to be able to make recommendations.

Many people (me included) like the simplicity of a system like the Fishman SA220. Bose makes a comparable system that is very well liked here as well. There are a few similar and less expensive alternatives. The Fishman Loudbox series offer the Mini and the Artist which are great and can be found for great prices used. Without knowing your budget though, it's difficult to say.

For pickups, I'd put something in your guitar since you love it already. You can go with a sound hole model so you don't have to drill any holes or make any modifications but there are many others systems people like. K&K is a big hit here - simple and effective, no battery. LR Baggs and Fishman also get a lot of love as well.

Experiment with the Search function. There is NO end to discussions about this topic!
Old 02-24-2016, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschwart View Post
Hi and welcome!

I'll start by recommending a primer on acoustic guitar amplification. This PDF e-book and video set, created by Doug Young, who is a member here, is a terrific, clear and practical introduction to the subject. I wish it had existed when I was starting out with this stuff. It would have saved me a lit of time and confusion.

http://store.acousticguitar.com/coll...ion-essentials

It will answer most of the questions you have and give you some good advice on how to proceed.

Louis
Thanks for the link Louis
Old 02-24-2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
We'll need your budget to be able to make recommendations.

Many people (me included) like the simplicity of a system like the Fishman SA220. Bose makes a comparable system that is very well liked here as well. There are a few similar and less expensive alternatives. The Fishman Loudbox series offer the Mini and the Artist which are great and can be found for great prices used. Without knowing your budget though, it's difficult to say.

For pickups, I'd put something in your guitar since you love it already. You can go with a sound hole model so you don't have to drill any holes or make any modifications but there are many others systems people like. K&K is a big hit here - simple and effective, no battery. LR Baggs and Fishman also get a lot of love as well.

Experiment with the Search function. There is NO end to discussions about this topic!
Thanks for the tips

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
amplification, pa systems, pickups, sigma, starting out