The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-11-2020, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Default Refund Frustration of the Day

I don't expect any answers from this post as I am just venting I guess. I sold a guitar on eBay. The buyer returned it under bogus issues. I didn't fight it. The ebay and PayPal systems will not let me refund the money. I've spent hours trying to find a way through but these companies make it impossible to contact a human and do not acknowledge any issue that may be on their end. I don't see where there is anything I can do. I don't want to send money outside the system as I fear if I did the systems would not recognize it as a valid refund and sends a second or additional refund. I suspect I will feel the pain of this screw up in the end.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 02-11-2020, 08:28 AM

oh man, I'd be pulling my hair out too.

it's getting to the point of absurdity working with these "systems"

I've had a few hiccups, nothing like this.

Personally I am really ready to just walk away from this al together. eBay and PayPal are slow to respond or offer support at all, they've over complicated the processes, making it harder and harder all the time. And at the end of the day, people that you deal with (buy from/sell to) can be just jerks anyway.

it is what it is I guess...
Old 02-11-2020, 08:30 AM
Musical minimalist

I'm pretty sure if you go to your Paypal activity, then click on details of the transaction with that person, there will be a highlighted link that says "refund this payment" or something similar. It's always been that way for me

Old 02-11-2020, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
I'm pretty sure if you go to your Paypal activity, then click on details of the transaction with that person, there will be a highlighted link that says "refund this payment" or something similar.
That sounds right....
Martin 000-15sm
Old 02-11-2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
...these companies make it impossible to contact a human....
At least on reverb, I've used the online "chat" with a real person numerous times. That has always resolved my questions or issues, and promptly.

With ebay.... I feel your pain.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 02-11-2020, 10:42 AM

Here in the UK ebay have a telephone number. I've used it and they've been very helpful. Might be worth googling a phone number for them where you are.....?
Nick
Old 02-11-2020, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
I'm pretty sure if you go to your Paypal activity, then click on details of the transaction with that person, there will be a highlighted link that says "refund this payment" or something similar. It's always been that way for me
Been there and done that like a dozen times. It states to try again some other time or go back. Go back to what? So I have read every line several times looking for what I can do. I actually called and talked to a person. They gave me advice that didn't really make sense. Like to put more money in my PayPal account. PayPal can and has taken money out of my checking account. So I did what they said I should do. The bank said it would take 3 to 5 business days to accomplish that. Then eBay states they will just make the refund on the 10th. They didn't. Now the guy has filed a claim on me. That ties up everything so it is completely out of my hands now. Not that is was before evidently. I had a text conversation with PayPal's computers about the situation until it referred me to a real person. To talk with them was going to be a two hour wait they said. I didn't wait. Me bad.

Old 02-11-2020, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickv6 View Post
Here in the UK ebay have a telephone number. I've used it and they've been very helpful. Might be worth googling a phone number for them where you are.....?
Nick
I tried that and their computer gave two options and neither of them were about the issue.

Old 02-11-2020, 03:33 PM

Quote:
I tried that and their computer gave two options and neither of them were about the issue.
Avoid the computers!

https://gethuman.com/phone-number/eBay
Old 02-11-2020, 03:56 PM

I've sold a lot of things over the years on Ebay and when I've needed to contact them it has always been instant and without hassle. On your account you have:

My Ebay; at the bottom of that page it says "Help & Contact"; scroll down a few inches and you will see "Manage returns, missing items, and refunds for sellers"

Click on that and on the new page, go down to the bottom - you will see "Need More Help - Call Us" Right below, and to the left of that it says "Have Us Call You".

I've done this several times and they call within seconds. Honestly, I don't see how it could be easier.

Ebay Help.jpg
Old 02-11-2020, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
I've done this several times and they call within seconds. Honestly, I don't see how it could be easier.
I have done this and their computer gives me an option to choose for this case. When I choose it their computer tells me that it is being dealt with and is that all I needed. I say no and it does it all over again, and again etc.

Old 02-12-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
I have done this and their computer gives me an option to choose for this case. When I choose it their computer tells me that it is being dealt with and is that all I needed. I say no and it does it all over again, and again etc.
If I read this correctly you received the guitar, it's been acknowledged properly to ebay, ebay has withdrawn monies from your paypal account. I would go with the ebay message that that that's all I needed to do.

I think it's unfortunately the buyer's problem now to sort out now that he's opened a case and I wouldn't dispute whatever the ebay process is in a case like that where they both have withdrawn monies and the buyer has opened a case.

Sorry for your frustration...
Old 02-12-2020, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide496 View Post
If I read this correctly you received the guitar, it's been acknowledged properly to ebay, ebay has withdrawn monies from your paypal account. I would go with the ebay message that that that's all I needed to do. Sorry for your frustration...
I was the seller. The buyer paid me for the guitar and then returned it for a refund. I followed the eBay prompts to refund the buyer. It wouldn't let me accomplish the refund stating there was a problem. At this point the buyer is still waiting for his money and eBay says it's reviewing the case. I'm waiting for something to happen.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic