The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-10-2020, 08:17 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Once in a while you find an amp that gets you close to what you're after, but is just lacking that final je ne sais quoi that dial-twisting won't completely resolve. Given that you're dealing with what is essentially the well-regarded (and higher-priced) Laney Cub 12R in a generic package (I understand some of the TDPRI guys who have torn both of them down have said they're internally identical) you shouldn't have too much of a problem approaching a Vox tonality; that said, short of springing for a new amp the first option would be a tube/speaker swap...

TMK your Monoprice uses the same tube complement as the Vox AC15; I've been dealing with these guys for the last 15 years and they know a little something about how to swap tubes to achieve your desired tone - here's their recommended package for the AC15:

https://www.thetubestore.com/vox-ac1...-value-package

The right speaker can also help you achieve the classic Vox "chime" - one of these British-voiced replacements might be just the ticket:

https://www.eminence.com/guitar-bass...ze=12#speakers

If you're unsure what to choose after you read the published specs, their customer service is first-rate according to the reviews I've read - give them a call and tell them what you're after and what you've done so far (amp settings, tube/pickup swaps, etc.)...

Good luck...
Steve..cant thank you enough...your info gave the green light to buy this amp last year and your info was spot on...for the money spent it is awesome. Hey, I'm not backing up Clapton anytime soon, just playing with my retired buddies and myself. Ill look into the tube/speaker thing....one more question...who do you know in the NYC/North Jersey area that could do a reset on a Takamine Santa Fe neck? I just found the one I like...DSF48c hard to find...this one is real nice , one small scratch, no damage, preamp works perfect, finish is great, inlays are all there, but I can see the saddle is getting a little thin. You seem to have a handle on whos who in this worldof guitars...if you know of a good shop and abll park price..pm me let me kmow...its coming soon.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
...who do you know in the NYC/North Jersey area that could do a reset on a Takamine Santa Fe neck? I just found the one I like...DSF48c hard to find...this one is real nice, one small scratch, no damage, preamp works perfect, finish is great, inlays are all there, but I can see the saddle is getting a little thin...if you know of a good shop and a ball park price...pm me let me know...it's coming soon...
These are the guys my bandmates and I have been using since MandoBros closed up shop:

https://www.repairguitar.com/

About as good as it gets IME - FYI they also run a NJ state-accredited school of luthierie - they've worked on eight of my own guitars and brought our bass player's '69 EB-0 and 100-year-old Weymann banjo back from the dead (literally), so I don't speak lightly here. Easy to reach in Freehold - just a straight shot down Route 9, about a mile south of Route 33 - and Kyle R. (owner) will give you the whole scoop beforehand so there's no surprises when it comes time to pay the bill; only caveat is that I'd recommend calling in advance to confirm business hours (I've known then to close early on occasion), otherwise I have no reservations - in fact, that's precisely why I'm making my response public...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars