The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-09-2020, 10:23 PM

Default Ian Anderson: One of the best guitarists of all time?

Thoughts?

I would say here its not his chops alone, but his ability to compose for the guitar and for the band as well. The total package.

Please review some of this video...the cross picking is very elaborate.

I have been working on this piece for close to 10 years and still find new things to master.

Thick..as a Brick.

https://ca.video.search.yahoo.com/se...fa&action=view

Check out 10:07 and so forth to see how complex the composition is. But more so, the 3/4 and 6/8 changes. There is not one line of 4/4 blues 12 or 16 bar in this piece.

I really put him up there with any artist of his time.
Just try the first 5 minutes and see what I mean. The accents are precise..

Look at 4:10 and the next minute or so.....precise.

Look at 7:48 and see his runs...how they gel with the overall composition of the whole work. But depart, beckoning the listener.

Look at 1:14 and see the composition and expertise on the guitar. You cannot approximate it, you cannot fake it, try to do the whole segment seen here and then tell me...is he not amazing?

Last edited by Davis Webb; 02-09-2020 at 10:35 PM.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:38 PM
Get off my lawn kid

This was one of my favorites. Loved this album and this tune in particular. I spent many hours playing along with this album.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-10-2020, 05:19 AM

I always loved the 3 short acoustic songs 'Cheap Day Return', 'Wond'ring Aloud' and 'Slipstream' on the 1971 Aqualung album.
Simply exquisite.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 02-10-2020, 05:27 AM

Really? Brilliant musician, yes. Best rock flutist, yes. Best rock-opera composer, yes. Best rock-opera singer, probably. Best guitarist? No. Heck he is not even the best guitarist in Jethro Tull (Martin Barre is much better and some of his bass players were/are also a lot better).

But don't get me wrong, I LOVE Jethro Tull (the first LP I ever bought with my own money was Benefit - still have it some 50 years on and still play/love it).
Old 02-10-2020, 07:33 AM

Ian Anderson is an incredible composer and player, flute player and performer.
The guy is and was amazing.

I'm still awestruck by Aqualung, and Thick As A Brick some 40+ years later.

but one the best all time? with the talent we've been blessed with, no I can't go there with that one.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:06 AM

Default Dun Ringill

"A Passion Play" was the first album I bought when I got my first stereo and contrary to popular critique, I prefer it to "Thick As A Brick" (imprinted I guess).

I started working on "Dun Ringill" from the "Stormwatch" album about 4 years ago and have just recently started trying to add the vocal (I have real difficulty separating my vocals from my right hand on intricate pieces until the I have the piece overlearned to the max).

Ian wouldn't be my pick for "best guitarist", but he's certainly my favorite musical artist of all time!

Old 02-10-2020, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Grenier View Post
Really? Brilliant musician, yes. Best rock flutist, yes. Best rock-opera composer, yes. Best rock-opera singer, probably. Best guitarist? No. Heck he is not even the best guitarist in Jethro Tull (Martin Barre is much better and some of his bass players were/are also a lot better).
Agree almost verbatim. Best flutist, good singer, creative composer...sure. Very good guitarist? Sure.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
Agree almost verbatim. Best flutist, good singer, creative composer...sure. Very good guitarist? Sure.
All true AFAIC.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:34 PM

Ian Anderson grew up in my home town. I met him once, in a news agent's shop by Preston railway station. Starstruck, I asked him what had brought him back to the area. He told me that he'd been attending a funeral for a family friend. Yeah wow, really? That's great, I said. Ah, it's funny what a complete tool you can make of yourself when you meet one of your heroes.

I've always loved Tull, but I prefer Stand Up to any of their later albums. "Reasons for Waiting" is one of my reasons for wanting to play the guitar.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroovyException View Post

I've always loved Tull, but I prefer Stand Up to any of their later albums. "Reasons for Waiting" is one of my reasons for wanting to play the guitar.
I like playing "Reasons for Waiting". When I try to sing and play it, it all falls apart.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:34 AM

IMHO, magical performer, songwriter, very good guitarist, but his real strength is combining the entire package.
Old 02-17-2020, 01:13 PM

Great guitarist but his real genius was as a songwriter (and very individual singer); after nearly 40 years of listening, I still think Songs From the Wood is perhaps teh best single rock album ever recorded. It's musicality, originality, and complexity are astounding.

I have seen Tull / Anderson countless times since 1977. I guess my major conundrum (no pun intended) is why people like Anderson "go off". Sure, his voice failed many years ago, but his songwriting skills did also, around the time of Roots to Branches. How does someone who was so supremely talented suddenly stop writing great songs?

Cheers,
Steve
Old 02-17-2020, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
Great guitarist but his real genius was as a songwriter (and very individual singer); after nearly 40 years of listening, I still think Songs From the Wood is perhaps teh best single rock album ever recorded. It's musicality, originality, and complexity are astounding.

I have seen Tull / Anderson countless times since 1977. I guess my major conundrum (no pun intended) is why people like Anderson "go off". Sure, his voice failed many years ago, but his songwriting skills did also, around the time of Roots to Branches. How does someone who was so supremely talented suddenly stop writing great songs?

Cheers,
Steve
Even Shakespeare retired.
Old 02-17-2020, 01:23 PM

Certainly as an acoustic guitar player, he is top notch, very inventive. One of my favorites.

For you fans of his, Steven Wilson of Porcupine tee has remastered many of the Jethro Tulls albums. They are amazing to listen to, he has brought out the instrumentation and made it extremely clear. Well worth the purchase.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyguy View Post
Certainly as an acoustic guitar player, he is top notch, very inventive. One of my favorites.

For you fans of his, Steven Wilson of Porcupine tee has remastered many of the Jethro Tulls albums. They are amazing to listen to, he has brought out the instrumentation and made it extremely clear. Well worth the purchase.

Thanks! Good information

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic