The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-09-2020, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

Default I'm really thinking hard about a neck up device

I'm struggling with my classical, literally. The upper bout that is on my left raised knee keeps kicking out (sliding) slowly towards my knee as I play. I have to constantly stop and reset the position of the guitar. I wear straps with my steel strings to avoid this issue, but now I'm back to square one with the classicals. I have one of those Neotech hook straps (top and bottom), but this doesn't stop the guitar from "kicking out" either. It needs another strap to go around my waist and hook to that as well.

I see where many classical guitarist use a "neck up" and other guitarist use a pad to stop the guitar from sliding it appears. Any suggestions?

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-09-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I'm struggling with my classical, literally. The upper bout that is on my left raised knee keeps kicking out (sliding) slowly towards my knee as I play. I have to constantly stop and reset the position of the guitar. I wear straps with my steel strings to avoid this issue, but now I'm back to square one with the classicals. I have one of those Neotech hook straps (top and bottom), but this doesn't stop the guitar from "kicking out" either. It needs another strap to go around my waist and hook to that as well.

I see where many classical guitarist use a "neck up" and other guitarist use a pad to stop the guitar from sliding it appears. Any suggestions?
On the Werner Guitar website you refer to in other thread, theres an article where (I think) he evaluates many of the competing contraptions many CGists use to secure guitar position. But possibly you might only need a grippy surface on your leg. That thin, squishy, foamy, perforated material sold as "shelf liners" (in USA) works for some players. I use the Oasis wedgy, kidney cushion thing, but it isnt the most secure option. 75% of the time I dont bother to use it. For 100 years, a footstool was sufficient. But they can lead to back pain.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:38 AM

Stool to elevate the knee works for me.

Ed
Old 02-09-2020, 11:59 AM

I've not tried any of the guitar "lifts" that are available, but many classical players like them and find them ergonomically better that the traditional classical guitar sitting position.

The traditional classical guitar sitting position has the left foot on a short, preferably adjustable-height, foot stool, as Edgar Poe describes. The height of the foot stool should raise the knee above the height of the hips, preventing the bottom of the guitar from sliding outwards, as you are experiencing: the guitar would then have to slide uphill along the thigh.

The guitar then has three points of support/contact: the inside of the right thigh, the top of the left thigh, the underside of the right forearm.

Old 02-09-2020, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

I have a foot stool and the darn thing still slides.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-09-2020, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Hey TB,

I have used a neck up in the past. (I don’t play or own a nylon string presently)
I think they are a great little tool. I’ve even used them with my steel strings at times. I know of no negatives, save for leaving the suction cup attached too long. Just take it off after you’ve finished playing. Reattach when you want to play again. Less than a minute. Try one. I think you’ll be pleased with what it does for you.

Mark
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"
Old 02-09-2020, 01:39 PM

HI Barry,

Have you ever tried this type of device?
https://www.savageclassical.com/prod...ssical-guitar/

There are no suction cups to worry about.
Old 02-09-2020, 01:43 PM

Default Another vote for the Savage

I’ve been using the Sagework’s for a month now on four guitars. Loving it (one brace, magnets for all the instruments). It’s far and away the best solution I’ve found. The brace is adjustable and can angle in so slipping is not an issue.

Last edited by Norsepicker; 02-10-2020 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Mistaken product name
Old 02-09-2020, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I have a foot stool and the darn thing still slides.
Hi Barry,
It slides up the thigh? As Charles points out, that is highly unlikely, if, the guitar is positioned properly.
Can you take a selfie or video just holding the guitar, as you would normally, with your foot stool?
That might be very helpful in diagnosing what's going on.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 02-09-2020, 03:55 PM

I have the same problem. I obtained some non-slip fabric, similar to this
Gorilla Grip https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Grip-...31910285&psc=1

I cut a suitable sized strip and seems to work well. I've also thought about the Neck Up device as well but haven't tried one yet.
Taylor GA3
Old 02-09-2020, 07:11 PM

I tried the neck up devices on my steel string guitars. When I wasn't breaking to plexi-glass insert, they worked fine for me. One broke when it got stepped on and another cracked during playing.

Out of frustration, I tried the De Oro guitar support.

https://www.deoromusic.com/deoromusi...r_Support.html

It works on either leg, via suction cups... It hasn't slipped off inadvertently or damaged any of my guitars with Poly or Nitro finishes.

Check out Bradford's most recent of guitar supports!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24ebJ3RStGU

Dave
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 02-09-2020, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
I tried the neck up devices on my steel string guitars. When I wasn't breaking to plexi-glass insert, they worked fine for me. One broke when it got stepped on and another cracked during playing.

Out of frustration, I tried the De Oro guitar support.

https://www.deoromusic.com/deoromusi...r_Support.html

It works on either leg, via suction cups... It hasn't slipped off inadvertently or damaged any of my guitars with Poly or Nitro finishes.

Check out Bradford's most recent of guitar supports!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24ebJ3RStGU

Dave
Thanks. I'm looking at the Gitano, Tenuto and the Murata. Undecided yet. The one you use looks interesting too, thanks again.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-09-2020, 11:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
Hi Barry,
It slides up the thigh? As Charles points out, that is highly unlikely, if, the guitar is positioned properly.
Can you take a selfie or video just holding the guitar, as you would normally, with your foot stool?
That might be very helpful in diagnosing what's going on.
I had the foot stool on the notch above what would make my leg more or less parallel. So the sharper angle was making the guitar sort of being pinched by my leg and body and ended up sliding out. Once I lowered the foot stool the sliding stopped. I still don't feel like I'm in control of the guitar with the foot stool though. The various neck ups look interesting and I will try one or two soon.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-10-2020, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1 View Post
HI Barry,

Have you ever tried this type of device?
https://www.savageclassical.com/prod...ssical-guitar/

There are no suction cups to worry about.
I find this guitar support to be great and the price is right.

I also really like this one as well: https://sagework.org/

More expensive but worth it if you play alot. I have bought additional magnets and have them in my guitars and I just move the support to the guitar I want to play.

Good luck in your search!

TK
Old 02-10-2020, 09:21 AM

You should be aware that if you have a pacemaker or anything similar installed on your body that the sagework is totally not an option for use

You'll also need a small child or someone with small hands to get into the guitar's sound hole to set the magnets in place. LOL

I tried the sageworks device on one of my classical guitars. For whatever reason, I couldn't keep the adjustments of the device to stay in place. If I leaned on the guitar, it would slowly slip out of the settings.

I finally removed the magnets and sold the device.

Dave
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical