The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-08-2020, 02:34 PM

Default Playing With Finger Pads ISO Tips

I've noticed a lot of electric players, mainly when playing solos (?), don't fret with the fingertips, but more the pads; coming down on the string at a shallow angle instead of perpendicular to the fretboard. Is this typical for electric players? Or maybe it's just typical for any type of guitar when playing single-note solos (jazz solos for example - when it doesn't matter if you unintentionally mute the other strings).

Just wondering 'cause I thought from a 'proper technique' perspective that this was considered a 'no-no' (and I would be chastised by guitar instructors ). But I can see how it would be easier to hit the notes, especially when playing quickly.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lar View Post
I've noticed a lot of electric players, mainly when playing solos (?), don't fret with the fingertips, but more the pads; coming down on the string at a shallow angle instead of perpendicular to the fretboard. Is this typical for electric players? Or maybe it's just typical for any type of guitar when playing single-note solos (jazz solos for example - when it doesn't matter if you unintentionally mute the other strings).

Just wondering 'cause I thought from a 'proper technique' perspective that this was considered a 'no-no' (and I would be chastised by guitar instructors ). But I can see how it would be easier to hit the notes, especially when playing quickly.
I'm no model of playing technique, but yes I do more of what you describe on electric than acoustic. Part of it has to do with playing less-full chords on electric and more single and double-stop notes.

Another factor is that when you have a amplified guitar muting strings you aren't sounding is a feature not a bug. This is one reason why I'm able to tolerate narrow necks on an electric guitar than on acoustic.

When I play electric bass I'm even more so coming in sideways and laying my fingers over the higher strings. The resonance of open, un-muted strings on the bass is even more of an issue.

Is this a good practice? I dunno. I'm no expert, I just play the things.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 02-09-2020, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

I employ both methods with electric or acoustic guitars... seems that I use my pads more when playing blues-ey, rock-y stuff with single notes/paired notes - even with chords when playing more funky rhythms...

If I'm wanting to play faster, I'll tend towards the tips of my fingers.

I think that a lot of old blues and rock guys did this from a matter of ease and lack of any formal training on the instrument... and, if you want to "cop" their sound/licks, you have to do it their way!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars