The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-07-2020, 06:41 AM

Default Wooden ship model kits

All this talk about retirement!

I’m 1-2 years out (depending on how my Company stock does) and am not wanting for activities and interests. So this thread is more investigatory.

I’ve never been a woodworker. I have an interest in building ship models for a couple of reasons:
  • I have a boat, love boats and live to be on the water;
  • We have a beach house so there’s plenty of room to display this type of thing;
  • I have three grown kids I can gift;
  • I am pretty handy and really like to see things come together.

Who else is building ship and boat models from kits? Any special skills required? Tools? What is your source for kits and is there a “ladder to success” for beginners?

Thanks!
Old 02-07-2020, 06:52 AM

I have an acquaintance who builds ships in bottles. He shares pictures of them in another internet forum that I do not belong to or recall offhand. He did mention that he'd read a book by Jack Needham called "Modeling Ships in Bottles" that came highly recommended by others in that community. I have no idea if there are any kits or the like but I'm sure the tools and materials are more easily accessible at your local arts and crafts store. I recall that my acquaintance was in search of better bottles to use.
Old 02-07-2020, 07:10 AM

I built several many years ago - I liken it to working on a jigsaw puzzle, you do little bits at a time. here are some thoughts:
  • The rigging is very tricky. But, securing ties first with a drop of cyanoacrylate (BTW, have the spray accelerator ready at your side) helped a tremendous amount.
  • Have plenty of sharp x-acto blades at hand.
  • Magnification and a really good light are essential
  • Having a knowledge of boats and rigging (as it sounds that you do) is very helpful.
  • Plan in advance to fabricate a stand/cradle (they usually don't come in the kit)

And have fun. BTW, if you have cats in the house, know that they love nibbling on spars and completed rigging. Final score - Cats 5 --Old Ironsides 0
Old 02-09-2020, 09:09 AM

Not been involved for many years but Artesania Latina and Billings used to be two of the biggest kit makers (in Europe anyway), offering anything from a punt to incredibly ornate galleons such as Sovereign of the Seas, a Titanic lifeboat to US Constellation (1:84] or the Robert E Lee (1:150). Prices from a few tens to several hundred dollars.

Artesania Latina are Italian (or perhaps were, it’s anybody’s guess who owns them now) and they and another Italian maker, Amati, seemed to vie to see who could produce the glossiest, most beautifully photographed brochures.

As for skills, can vary a lot, a large multi-masted plank-on-frame type is quite a challenge, but the biggest requirement is patience. Do not underestimate the sheer number of hours involved in one of these builds. If you can dedicate an area for it, for the duration of the build, I believe you are more likely to finish it.

Hope that kelps,
Clive.

Last edited by NotALuth; 02-09-2020 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Correct typo
Old 02-09-2020, 10:21 AM

Yes you may want to start with a solid hull kit like this Scientific Sark.Then go on to a plank on bulkhead kit.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:23 AM

Old 02-09-2020, 11:27 AM
Guitar Gourmet

A hint: get a glass case for your model really quickly. My dad built a lovely sloop back in the '60s as well as several beautiful, accurate, scratch-built cannons. One day my mother decided to dust it. I will probably inherit the box of parts that are left from the encounter.

Also, do yourself a favor. If you get the chance, go to the Mariner's Museum in Newport News, VA. and see the Crabtree Collection of scratch-built ship models.

I've spent hours gazing at these models, starting on my first visit back in the early '60s.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-09-2020, 12:06 PM

Yes might be a goid idea but could be expensive!
Old 02-09-2020, 12:07 PM

Old 02-09-2020, 12:27 PM

My first assignment in the reserves after active duty was on a wooden "ship", the USS Pledge MSO-492, a minesweeper. Mostly wood so as to not attract magnetic mines.

Of course this was the first thing I thought of when I saw your title:

Old 02-09-2020, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

Slot head,

Built some whale boats many years ago and currently working on one.

First one sat on a book shelf for many hears with small hand crafted axe, knife, buckets, coiled ropes, small shovel, water cask, oars and harpoons, etc. They were placed in the boat and not glued in.

Two weeks later, woman that cleaned our house told my wife that she tried to get the dust off the little boat. When I looked, all small items were gone......she used the vacuum. Tore apart the bag but she had replaced it and it was gone.

Just have plenty of patience and a secluded area that no one will disturb so you don't have to put it away every day. Like the guitar, if it's out and visible, you tend to work with/on it.

Don't rush. Take your time and if possible have a source for thin balsa sheets, everyone makes mistakes.

BTW........ as BW said..... the glass case is a really good idea.

P426, did you build those?

john
Old 02-09-2020, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

As usual Philo, nice looking work.
Old 02-09-2020, 01:05 PM

Sure did!I also recommend that he join the Modelshipworld forum!
Old 02-09-2020, 01:09 PM

https://youtu.be/Evm-xqyKFRE
Old 02-09-2020, 01:11 PM

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic