The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-19-2019, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post
...my Vox MV50 Clean with the Nutube technology is unreal. I have it on my live rig...It’s VERY responsive to picking style. It’s RIDICULOUSLY loud if need be. Running any of my Gretsch guitars through it produces awesome tones. I’m a huge fan of this “new” technology. Not to mention the “tube” life.

Here’s a bit from Vox...

The MV50 is equipped an all-analog pre-amp circuit that features Nutube, a revolutionary new vacuum tube that produces authentic tube tone at a fraction of the size. By taking advantage of this incredible new technology, VOX’s engineers were able to design a true, miniature tube amplifier. Beyond the inclusion of Nutube, the pre-amp circuit in the MV50 features a staggering number of analog components that effectively reproduce the dynamic character of a traditional tube amp. Paired with this innovative pre-amp circuit is a reliable and efficient Class D power amp that has been specifically designed for the MV50. From warm, natural cleans to dynamic overdrives, this power amp has been engineered to respond to the nuances of your guitar and, of course, your technique...
- and why Fender didn't avail itself of similar technology for the Tonemaster amps is beyond me...

When Vox releases a full-featured 30-pound NuTube AC30 - given Fender's latest move, probably in the works as we speak - I'm in...
Old 10-19-2019, 07:02 AM

I continue to be a bit amazed at the range of choices Fender is offering in electric guitar amplifier models, even though worldwide statistics show its a shrinking market overall. The Bassbreaker line is new and it utilizes tubes. Nowhere do I see a strategy for streamlining of choices yet, and now that they’re offering computer chip versions of the two old blackface heavyweights, it only makes good business sense.

Last edited by Jaden; 10-19-2019 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Diction?
Old 10-19-2019, 07:41 AM

I played at a festival 3-4 weeks ago. One of the more well-known local bands (The Mighty Fairlanes) played. The guitar player always played through a DR or a Super Reverb. He was playing through a Quilter combo that day.

He still sounded pretty darn good to me. I did feel it lacked a bit of overall warmth compared to its tube counterparts, but it was so close, I suspect only myself and a couple of other musicians there even knew the difference.

The SS stuff has gotten pretty good and I own 1 tube and 2 tube hybrid amps. I have all the power I'll ever need, so likely will never own a new gen SS amp. They are getting pretty darn cool now though.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 10-19-2019, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

The end of tube amplifiers is less driven by the improvement in the digital technologies but more by:

- The loss of venues that have live music
- Aging of Baby Boomers (55 to 73) whose music of their youth is based on tube sound
- Loss of a supply consistent and robust vacuum tubes
- Loss of technicians who know how to repair/maintain them
- The inherent cost

I own both tube and solid state amplifiers. For straight ahead jazz the solid state amps are fine. They have a fast attack, clean headroom and some euphonic warmth. They are also SMALL and LIGHTWEIGHT. For blues and rock where I seek playing on edge where touch or a simple dialing up in pickup volume from 6-7 to 8-10 takes you from playing clean into overdrive I far prefer tubes for their feel, sag, bloom etc.

I am sure these new amps sound descent (meaning 95% of your audience would never know the difference), are lighter in weight, more reliable and are gigable so they will grow in market share.

My $.02
Old 10-19-2019, 09:45 AM

R.I.P. Really Im Pressive.....I agree
Old 10-19-2019, 10:37 AM

Last night at the neighborhood Halloween street party, I used my Victoria Tweed Deluxe with the Brondel Strat. We played the Theme from the Munsters into Jolene, some Haggard, Buck Owens, Johnny Cash.

The guy following us used a reissue Deluxe Reverb.

He said my TD was crackling and spitting fire.
He rather liked it.
Old 10-19-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonics View Post
The writing, as they say, is on the wall...
No it isn't.
Old 10-19-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post
I do love my tube amps no doubt. Not sure I’d NOT have one. But, that being said...my Vox MV50 Clean with the Nutube technology is unreal. I have it on my live rig. Fits on my pedal board, has a line out and cab out that can be used simultaneously, built in attenuation, an eco switch that shuts it off if unused for x amount of minutes.

It’s VERY responsive to picking style. It’s RIDICULOUSLY loud if need be. Running any of my Gretsch guitars through it produces awesome tones. I’m a huge fan of this “new” technology. Not to mention the “tube” life.

Here’s a bit from Vox...

The MV50 is equipped an all-analog pre-amp circuit that features Nutube, a revolutionary new vacuum tube that produces authentic tube tone at a fraction of the size. By taking advantage of this incredible new technology, VOX’s engineers were able to design a true, miniature tube amplifier. Beyond the inclusion of Nutube, the pre-amp circuit in the MV50 features a staggering number of analog components that effectively reproduce the dynamic character of a traditional tube amp. Paired with this innovative pre-amp circuit is a reliable and efficient Class D power amp that has been specifically designed for the MV50. From warm, natural cleans to dynamic overdrives, this power amp has been engineered to respond to the nuances of your guitar and, of course, your technique.

I still love my lacquered Tweed BJ, but these little Vox heads are truly amazing.
But the Nutube is a tube.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 10-19-2019, 02:13 PM

Default Sonically indistinguishable from the originals!

They've even 'modeled' the spring reverb.

Fender put some thought, research and hard work into producing their first professional modelling amp. Note he is using 'mic' modelling through the XLR output, and you thought DI'ed electric guitar sucked.

Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503
Old 10-19-2019, 03:34 PM

WAY off on price. The OP needs to check his numbers. The Deluxe Reverb tone master is $900, the classic tube DRRI is $1100. The real attraction of these new Fender amps is the light weight for old guys who don't want to schlepp around 40 - 60lb amps on a weekly basis. While they may have nice cleans with lots of headroom, I've yet to hear a demo where someone put an overdrive pedal in front of them. The magic of a tube amp is the bloom you get when overdriving the preamp tubes, there's some real ambient chemistry at play there that a digital facsimile can't duplicate the nuances of. A good tube amp clean tone has a warmth and 3-dimensional quality (and I don't mean reverb) that a digital model will have a hard time capturing.

Digital modeling has come a long way and for those find it close enough, a solid state modeling amp is really a limited choice. For a grand you can get a Headrush floor unit that models a couple dozen classic amps and speaker cabinets, plus loads of affects that can be adjusted and configured anyway you like. You send your signal to the board in high quality stereo and monitor with in-ears. THIS has been the status quo of digital electronics for several years now. For the record, I own a DRRI and a PRRI and don't intend to give either one for a digital rig.
Old 10-19-2019, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The digital amp has finally come of age. Half the weight and one third the price. If you can't hear the difference, then there is NO difference.

Unfortunately it's a Ya ---No .
Half the weight ? "Ya" pretty close .
One third the cost ? "No" Not certain where you are getting your pricing figures BUT according to Sweetwater .......

The Tone Master Deluxe Reverb is $899
The Deluxe Reverb 65 is $1099
Making the Tone Master 81% of the 65 ?? so over 3/4 of the price

BUT far more importantly I did hear the difference and pretty plainly. I much preferred the #1 amp one in Danish Petes demo ( before the reveal ) because the #2 just had more of a brittle tone and as cliche as it may sound , just did not muster tube warmth IMO.

Guess as Mark Twain might have said,, "rumors of tube demise have been greatly exaggerated".

For me at 69 the weight is a definite issue and honestly I would love to have an SS amp with modeling that could sound and feel like a tube amp, but I have not experienced that, yet.
I am though, seriously considering the REVV D 20 , a 20 watt tube amp head with on board Two Note digital modeling technology in a utilitarian 9 lb. package

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 10-19-2019 at 04:32 PM.
Old 10-19-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Unfortunately it's a Ya ---No .
Half the weight ? "Ya" pretty close .
One third the cost ? "No" Not certain where you are getting your pricing figures BUT according to Sweetwater .......

The Tone Master Deluxe Reverb is $899
The Deluxe Reverb 65 is $1099
Making the Tone Master 81% of the 65 ?? so over 3/4 of the price

BUT far more importantly I did hear the difference and pretty plainly. I much preferred the #1 amp one in Danish Petes demo ( before the reveal ) because the #2 just had more of a brittle tone and as cliche as it may sound , just did not muster tube warmth IMO.

Guess as Mark Twain might have said,, "rumors of tube demise have been greatly exaggerated".

For me at 69 the weight is a definite issue and honestly I would love to have an SS amp with modeling that could sound and feel like a tube amp, but I have not experienced that, yet.
I am though, seriously considering the REVV D 20 , a 20 watt tube amp head with on board Two Note digital modeling technology in a utilitarian 9 lb. package
I still prefer tube amps, but seriously, check out the Yamaha THR amps. They are pretty close and are super light:

They have the little dynamics a tube amp has and they take pedals really well as demonstrated above. I really like mine.
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 10-19-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
I'm not so sure about that! The Line 6 amps from 20 years ago were 'interesting'. The Fender modelling amps from 10 years ago were close. The Kemper amps closer still. Now technology is now on par with valve amps. We can expect in the future that this 'technology' will improve and cost LESS.

You can now turn up to a gig and know with near 100% certainty that your amp will work when you flick the power switch.

Finally as demonstrated by the Captain, you can now lift your new Fender Twin amp with just...ONE finger.

The writing, as they say, is on the wall...
It may be other's opinions that they are on par, not mine. I've never had a tube amp die on me during a performance, and I this is what i do for a living. And to me, modelers do not feel like tube amps when I'm playing through them, and I've tried all the best of the new generation. And feel is too important for people to give up on tube amps. And in many online comparisons they are comparing these modelers to modern Fender tube amps, which to me, do not sound like vintage amps. check out this comparison by a pro... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXPQz2K6N9I
Old 10-19-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
It may be other's opinions that they are on par, not mine. I've never had a tube amp die on me during a performance, and I this is what i do for a living. And to me, modelers do not feel like tube amps when I'm playing through them, and I've tried all the best of the new generation. And feel is too important for people to give up on tube amps. And in many online comparisons they are comparing these modelers to modern Fender tube amps, which to me, do not sound like vintage amps. check out this comparison by a pro... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXPQz2K6N9I

Embedded the video.
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 10-19-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post

Embedded the video.
Thank You!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars