The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-29-2019, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
That was awesome. I forgot about that song I love it. I have a question for you, what did your son start his learning journey on?

Hi Hasbro. Thanks for listening. To answer your question my son started with a great teacher using a 3/4 size acoustic that was pretty well set up so not hard to play notes and chords without too much buzzing. This helps in the beginning to keep the beginners motivated. He rarely practiced. Teacher said it didn't matter. He moved to a $99 squire also 3/4. At 10 or 11 I got him an Epi 339, at 13 a mim strat, and at 14 this tele. He is already asking about les pauls. Having the first lesson and practice guitar set up with low action and light strings was helpful for the very early progress.

My playing started around the time he started. In large part to be able to play with him and his younger brother.

Are you planning for one of yours?

bowerman custom OM 28 style
breedlove oregon OM SMYe
breedlove 000-M deluxe revival
breedlove mc revival OM/AR deluxe (2)
yamaha ls 11 spruce hog mit
yamaha fg 152 spruce hog mij
yamaha fg 110 spruce agathis (tan) mit
yamaha fg 150 spruce (red) (sold)
yamaha fg 75 spruce (red) (sold)
Old 04-29-2019, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by started with 1 View Post
Hi Hasbro. Thanks for listening. To answer your question my son started with a great teacher using a 3/4 size acoustic that was pretty well set up so not hard to play notes and chords without too much buzzing. This helps in the beginning to keep the beginners motivated. He rarely practiced. Teacher said it didn't matter. He moved to a $99 squire also 3/4. At 10 or 11 I got him an Epi 339, at 13 a mim strat, and at 14 this tele. He is already asking about les pauls. Having the first lesson and practice guitar set up with low action and light strings was helpful for the very early progress.

My playing started around the time he started. In large part to be able to play with him and his younger brother.

Are you planning for one of yours?
Thank you for the reply. Yes I've got three kids two of them have been playing for a few years now and are seven and nine. We are focusing on classical guitar with a proper teacher at this point but there will be the time that they are ready to really just explore without as much structure. I think being able to improvise on the electric guitar was a really fun thing for kids, it's what got me to play the guitar.
Your son seems to have an awareness of a few patterns he can play around in, and I think that is a great development sign. That is awesome that you learned in order to hang out with them, I'm forcing them to learn in order so they can hang out with me!
Old 05-10-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
Thank you for the reply. Yes I've got three kids two of them have been playing for a few years now and are seven and nine. We are focusing on classical guitar with a proper teacher at this point but there will be the time that they are ready to really just explore without as much structure. I think being able to improvise on the electric guitar was a really fun thing for kids, it's what got me to play the guitar.
Your son seems to have an awareness of a few patterns he can play around in, and I think that is a great development sign. That is awesome that you learned in order to hang out with them, I'm forcing them to learn in order so they can hang out with me!
Can't beat music with the kids. Good luck with your little ones.

breedlove oregon OM SMYe
Old 05-10-2019, 02:55 PM

That was really really good you both need to get up on stage with this, the crowd would love this
Old 05-24-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theretherenow View Post
That was really really good you both need to get up on stage with this, the crowd would love this
Thanks theretherenow,
The thread below is a live version we played of another Dead cover from a street fair last spring. The loudest person in the crowd is likely his Mom.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=536717

Thanks for listening and commenting.

breedlove oregon OM SMYe
Old 05-24-2019, 07:02 PM

That was awesome! I’ve got 5 and 3 year old’s, only a first act they bang on now. Trying to find one small enough for them to be comfortable but really be able to play. GS Mini is still too big. I hope one day we jam on the Dead together like you guys. Might actually be the greatest thing that could happen in the rest of my days.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarred21 View Post
That was very cool and thanks for sharing.

Sounded great.

Thanks for listening. This video is one of ours/ mine in the Dead Covers Project happening in Feb each year. Check out the offerings on yt #deadcoversproject 2020. Lots of home recordings from around the world.

breedlove oregon OM SMYe
Old 02-12-2020, 03:42 AM

Cool! My son plays with his friends, but says I'm too much of an 'old fogey' to play with! Cheeky perisher! Make the most of these great days making music with your talented son - what could be more fun?

* GUITARS
Freshman Apollo 6 string electro acoustic
Harley Benton GS-Travel-E Mahogany
50yr old EKO Ranger 12 String

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell