The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-20-2019, 11:35 PM
Charter Member

rnjguitar -- what pick(s) and strings have you found make your Larrivee sound the best ?
Old 01-21-2019, 12:27 AM
Charter Member

I have been playing the Charmed Life Large Triangles (1.15) in Red and Orange Flame for quite awhile now. They are so fluid on the strings and produce a warm round tone. I used Wegen large triangles for probably 15 years, but the CL Picks are much smoother and reduce pick click.

My SD40M is sporting a set of Dr Rare Bluegrass 12-56 at the moment. They give a thick response in the trebles.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnjguitar View Post
I believe this to be the case as well - my Larrivee "opened up" when I switched strings, pick, and adjusted how I strummed (backed off and played closer to the fret board). It always sounded great - now its absolutely beautiful and rich!
Another testimony for the theory that a large part of "opening up" has to do with factors other than the wood and construction of the guitar.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguitar View Post
Thanks vindi -- this is helpful advice ! I currently have DR RARE 12's on now and find it to be quite "bassy". I think I'll swap the .054 E string for a .052 from another set. Is it OK if it's not a DR string ? Also, have not heard of crimping the ends before but makes sense. Can this be done with needle nose pliers ? Cheers!
You're welcome. Since you replied to my post I want to go a bit deeper into my experience and the logic behind the Low E swap. The low E is largely responsible for creating sympathetic vibrations and resultant harmonics across all strings. While a heavier low E will produce more fundamental tone, the lighter low E will produce more overtones and sympathetic vibrations across the other strings. It could be a good thing for some guitars, perhaps not so good on others.

On my '72 D35 the Sunbeam 12's are incredible. I tried 13's and it sucked the mojo out of the guitar- and back to 12's I went as I already loved the sound. That .053-.054 low E I believe is largely the lynch pin. As another example- Santa Cruz strings uses the same low E for their medium and heavy gauge strings. They say it's about balanced tension, but I believe that it's more about how that lighter low E makes the other strings come alive.

So why 13's as a base instead of 12's if you intend to use .053-.054 low E??? Again, the thicker strings produce more fundamental and less overtones. Some guitars will have too many high overtones making it sound bright or even strident. A .013 high E and .017 B string will tamp down the excess highs while maintaining fundamentals. And the low E will more greatly affect the middle strings anyway. So it is a matter of finding balance.

But again, I think that DR Sunbeam 12's on a dread are a good choice for both feel and sound.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 01-21-2019, 04:54 PM

Those guitars seem to respond well to a long ToneRite treatment.
Other than that having 40 to 50% humidity the only thing you can do play the guitar a lot. So the guitar being opened up is in direct comparison to the case being opened up!
Old 01-21-2019, 05:54 PM

The guitar will only "open up" as much as you ask it to.
I have heard the term "open up" before, but in 60 years of playing, I've never found it to be more than me getting used to what the guitar can do.
Don't let anybody sell you a guitar that they claim will sound great one it opens up. They are just trying to sell you a guitar.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:00 PM

The guitar will open up on June 21, 2023.

Until then it will be the cigar box that it is now. But upon that great opening-up day, it will be like a magnificant orchestra playing from on high.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion