The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-04-2019, 12:49 PM

I bought a Rainsong H-OM early in 2018. The guitar was my first CF and I really enjoy it. The neck is chunkier than my preference but a really good guitar. A few months ago I purchased a pre-owned 2018 Emerald X20. The X20 blew away the Rainsong. Much more comfortable to play, smaller neck and a truss rod that actually works.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 01-04-2019, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

I'm pretty new to carbon fiber, buying an X20 early in September, a used X7 (previous model) early in October, and a new model woody X7 that I got around the end of November. I intended the X20 as my main guitar and the older X7 to be a distant #2 companion to it. But I loved that little X7 so much I had to check out the new X7 and it fell purely into the sweet spot.

That new woody X7 is by far my favorite acoustic and the only acoustic I've ever owned I think I love as much as the 1968 Brazilian RW D-28 that was my only acoustic for about 25 years. It's without a doubt a lifetime guitar and a #1. I hope I have another 25 years left to enjoy it!

I'm gonna keep the older X7 to keep at my daughter's place so I'll have something to play when we go for extended visits (and maybe her partner would play it - he's into learning, seems to have an aptitude for it, and that X7 would facilitate that). At the moment, the new X7 is the only acoustic I have with me until mid-March. When I get home and have both the X7 and X20 available, I'm gonna have to see whether I end up playing the X20 enough to keep it. I don't have any need to sell it, but I sell stuff I don't use, so we'll see if it earns it's longer term place on the wall. But the woody X7 is my lifetime guitar. It just plays so easy and sounds so good. Really the only time I clearly prefer the X20 is if I'm playing with a capo above about the 3rd fret, at which point the X7 starts feeling pretty crowded and cramped and the longer scale of the X20 is more workable, but it's not like that's something that happens often enough to keep a guitar around just for that. So we'll see.

-Ray
Old 01-04-2019, 01:12 PM

I am fortunate to own both a Rainsong Jumbo and a CA Legacy dread.
I love them both, but prefer the bold balanced tone of the Jumbo over the subdued midrange of the CA dread...it's probably more of a comparision of body size/shape than of construction differences.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:07 PM

For the last year and a half a RainSong CH-PA1100NSG. I learned to play on an electric and finally an acoustic guitar that is electric guitar sized but still loud enough with good tone was something I had to own to appreciate. I bought it impulsively on-line not really sure I would keep it. Its predecessor, an H-DR, was sold on ebay not because it did not have something nice to offer, but because I realized I was never going to play it.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 01-04-2019, 07:47 PM

My Rainsong Shorty FLE
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 01-04-2019, 08:18 PM

If not limited to acoustic guitars, the Blade by Composite Acoustics is my favorite CF guitar. Well, it’s the only CF electric I’ve ever played. But you know, CF electrics are scarcer than 7” Megaladon teeth, so there’s that.

Plays like butter, sounds great, nearly indestructible, and turned sideways it practically disappears (like I did back in the day, haha).

For acoustic CF guitars, my Shorty.

“There’s no end to what I don’t know”
Old 01-04-2019, 09:04 PM

I think my Shorty would be my favorite, but all three of my CF instruments fill a role for me and get pretty regular playtime. I have had a shoulder issue which has limited the WS-1000 playtime lately, but that guitar sounds so nice...please don’t make me choose just one!
Old 01-05-2019, 08:16 AM

A stable is a big word for my two CF guitars. And it would be an apples vs oranges comparison, since the Rainsong Smokey is a steel string and the Emerald X7 a nylon string.

At this point I prefer playing the Rainsong but that may change because I am still in the process of setting up the X7 the way I like it.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 01-05-2019, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

I was looking to replace all my wood guitars (7) with a CF guitar last summer as I am moving to a location with an average of 20 percent humidity. I know me and would lack on keeping them properly humidified. So reading all I could on CF guitars here on this forum I bought two at the same time. I gave both time to see which one I'd keep. The first one was a Rainsong Smokey Hybrid and the second a CA GX .....Although the GX was very nice looking the Smokey just blew it away in tone, volume and play ability for me....I have had them all....Martins, Taylor's, Guilds, Eastman's, Blueridge, Recording King and Gibson's and the Smokey stands up with the best of them.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:07 AM

My RS Shorty SG is my favorite in terms of comfort, sound, and utility but my X7 (old school center-hole) probably gets the most play, since it goes to work with me most days.
Old 01-05-2019, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

Standard 6 string favorite: Rainsong Al Petteway APLE
12 string: Emerald X20-12
Non standard 6 string: Emerald X20 Baritone

All excellent+ instruments.
Old 01-05-2019, 03:15 PM

My all around favorite composite guitar is the Blackbird Savoy because it does everything I need it to do. If we are only talking about CF then the McPherson Touring is tied in place with the Blackbird Nylon Rider and the Rainsong Nylon Parlor. Hard to pick just one.
Barb
Old 01-05-2019, 05:39 PM

EMERALD X30!
Old 01-07-2019, 11:29 PM

That is my Leviora custom made fan fret guitar. The guitar is so balance and very responsive even with light touch. In addition, the intonation is so great that I seldom need to tune the guitar. And of course, no need to worry about the humidity

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten
Old 01-09-2019, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

I have two Rainsongs, and H-OM and a BI-WS. I think I prefer the H-OM. That being said, I'm really itching to try an Emerald X30.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber