The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-08-2020, 06:38 AM
Charter Member

Sorry to be Debbie Downer, but I'm just not a SciFi fan...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 02-08-2020, 09:36 AM

I've watched all 3 episodes and like it. My only issue is the dialog gets a bit muddled from time to time and I have to re-watch it. It's like the ambient/background sounds are either a bit too loud or the dialog is a bit too soft.

At first I was concerned this was a result of my hearing but this is the only show that seems this way.

All in all a good show.

Best,
PJ
Old 02-08-2020, 09:54 AM

I’d like to watch it on Amazon Prime but unfortunately since I’m in the US CBS requires that I purchase a separate subscription. Even if we were to subscribe to a Netflix we wouldn’t be able to watch it. CBS did show the pilot for free on YouTube and I liked it but not to justify $10 a month. It was only 45 minutes long which is the length of your typical normal broadcast. Otherwise, I liked the pacing and Stewart brought a sort of legitimacy to what have been to date pale imitations of Trek.
Old 02-08-2020, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojeep View Post
I've watched all 3 episodes and like it. My only issue is the dialog gets a bit muddled from time to time and I have to re-watch it. It's like the ambient/background sounds are either a bit too loud or the dialog is a bit too soft.

At first I was concerned this was a result of my hearing but this is the only show that seems this way.

All in all a good show.

Best,
PJ
PJ, my wife and I have noticed the same. I was actually lost after the second episode and I am preparing an audio system install in hopes of improving this. We have held off on watching the third one until I get the sound improved. We will watch the second one again before going on. Still enjoyed what I could make of it though.
Old 02-08-2020, 03:20 PM

Shame to hear about the audio issues. Hopefully they fix it in older episodes before Season 2 rolls around.
Old 02-08-2020, 06:04 PM

I've noticed that all these new shows bury dialogue in the mix. It's not a new thing in my experience. In fact, IMO there's really nothing groundshaking about any new science fiction since the early 2000s except for the deafening sound effects. I've only seen the pilot but this series is starting to look an awful lot like Firefly.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

I saw the first episode and I was ho-hum about it. I'll watch more though. I was never a fan of DATA, though and that whole "Tin Man from Oz" routine that pervaded the character.

I'm also not a big fan of Discovery either, but its decent.

My idea of Star Trek was the first remake that was done in 2009 with Chris Pine as Kirk. Then they sort of ruined it with the alternate story line in the later one with Vulcan being destroyed.

I'd like to see the original story line, with the same characters (Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Uhura and Scotty) without any PC nonsense and just plain good ol science fiction and space battles with stuff getting blown up.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-09-2020, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I saw the first episode and I was ho-hum about it. I'll watch more though. I was never a fan of DATA, though and that whole "Tin Man from Oz" routine that pervaded the character.

I'm also not a big fan of Discovery either, but its decent.

My idea of Star Trek was the first remake that was done in 2009 with Chris Pine as Kirk. Then they sort of ruined it with the alternate story line in the later one with Vulcan being destroyed.

I'd like to see the original story line, with the same characters (Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Uhura and Scotty) without any PC nonsense and just plain good ol science fiction and space battles with stuff getting blown up.
Star Trek has always been PC. A Russian on the bridge during the Cold War. A black woman on the bridge during the Civil Rights era. Spock as an alien representing people are different. A Japanese man 20 years after WWII Worf was a former enemy to show that adversaries can become friends. With each series they have addressed current social issues as good science fiction does.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
Star Trek has always been PC. A Russian on the bridge during the Cold War. A black woman on the bridge during the Civil Rights era. Spock as an alien representing people are different. A Japanese man 20 years after WWII Worf was a former enemy to show that adversaries can become friends. With each series they have addressed current social issues as good science fiction does.
Yes, but what if Spock is Spock because that is who he is and the black woman is on the bridge because she is the most qualified for the job. True equality doesn't have labels nor does it require someone pointing out the obvious. Let's put aside the highlighting of PC and just have decent science fiction because of the stories.

That's what I would like to see.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-10-2020, 12:51 AM

Seen the first three episodes of Picard, and really enjoying it. I thought Discovery was a bit of a Star Trek low. I got the impression the writers were making it up as they went along, what with all the characters, they killed off and then brought back again.
1982 Fender Stratocaster Dan Smith with custom Mahogany Hardtail body.
1984 Ibanez JA500 Jumbo acoustic.
1994 Gibson J100 Xtra.
2008 Stanford Performer PSOM-10CEQ.
2017 Fender Telecaster 1961 replica in LPB.
2017 Faith Blood Moon Neptune.
2021 Martin OOO-15M.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchie View Post
Seen the first three episodes of Picard, and really enjoying it. I thought Discovery was a bit of a Star Trek low. I got the impression the writers were making it up as they went along, what with all the characters, they killed off and then brought back again.
Kurtzman needs to go. He's one of a slew of bad writers in the industry who need to take their ritalin.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, but what if Spock is Spock because that is who he is and the black woman is on the bridge because she is the most qualified for the job. True equality doesn't have labels nor does it require someone pointing out the obvious. Let's put aside the highlighting of PC and just have decent science fiction because of the stories.

Not a fan of PC. But I don’t think the examples given represent PC. All great science fiction has social commentary and uses social movements as either the plot and/or sub plot as part of the story line. I would go as far as saying PC changes with the social dynamics of the day, and When star trek first aired it was anything but PC.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

Last edited by Mbroady; 02-10-2020 at 06:59 AM.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:

I was putting it in historical context. At the time the original series was made these choices for the bridge crew did address current social issues. That is what Roddenberry was addressing by selecting these crew members.

Good science fiction does address societal issues.
Old 02-10-2020, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
I
Good science fiction does address societal issues.

I disagree. Good science fiction merely entertains us.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-26-2020, 04:10 PM

Anyone else not enjoying Picard? I’m trying to get into it but it just gets more boring every week.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic