The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

View Poll Results: How advanced is your playing?
I'm really just starting 10 4.65%
I mostly play open chords and basic (maj/minor E/A shape) bar with 8th/16th strum patterns 46 21.40%
As above + a good dose of music theroy, including understanding how chord progressions work 68 31.63%
I know my scales, where they are and play triad chords/lead/fingerpick all over the neck 68 31.63%
Ralph didn't add an option high enough because he doesn't even know about the things I can do 23 10.70%
Voters: 215. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-30-2020, 04:45 PM

Slowhand isn't callin me to be his backup if that helps.....
Old 01-30-2020, 04:53 PM

And just when you were feeling pleased with yourself, someone comes along and breaks your little rainbow...

The Boss:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cHeNscKZN0

BluesKing777.
Old 01-30-2020, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
Advanced enough to keep me in gigs. And inept enough to keep me humble.
It's not what you know - it's what you can do....
Old 01-30-2020, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

Can play the type of guitar music I like. I don't worry much beyond that.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 01-30-2020, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bil View Post
I started playing guitar when I was 14. I’m 62. I tell folks I play as well now as I did when I was 14 and a half, just with better instruments. But I’m happy with what I do, it gives me pleasure and peace. That’s really all that matters.
Amen brother. I really suck at guitar..but it really helps me shut the world off. Pleasure and peace indeed.
Old 01-30-2020, 09:48 PM
Charter Member

I voted for the basic level (you got me on 8th/16th strumming on the next highest level which is where I probably really am). I'm more of a flatpicker.
2010 Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster
1974 Rickenbacker 4001 Bass
Old 01-31-2020, 05:56 AM

I voted for the third choice.

In some ways, I'm advanced and in some ways, I'm a novice. I don't really care to think about how good or bad I am. I just want to be better. My long term goal is to get good and have enough repertoire to hold down a gig at a cafe and maybe pick up some students. I would love to do just that during my retirement years.....(before retirement would be good too)

Those dreams of being a concert guitarist are long gone lol.
Old 01-31-2020, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
And just when you were feeling pleased with yourself, someone comes along and breaks your little rainbow...

The Boss:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cHeNscKZN0

BluesKing777.
There needs to be a law passed right now to stop him getting any better. This improvement has gone on long enough, it's getting ridiculous, and it's time he stopped right there!!

I mean, just to give the rest of us a chance before we die.
Old 01-31-2020, 08:39 AM

I chose 4, through in reality I would consider myself between 3 and 4. I know enough theory to be dangerous and know enough scales that I can fake my way through most solo situations.

Though my playing has continued to advance slowly through the years as I play, there is still so much more to learn. For instance, listening to many of the fingerstyle posts here makes me realize how little I know about that style!
Old 01-31-2020, 08:43 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Didn't choose one. Let's just say my clients are happy and leave it at that, shall we?

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-31-2020, 09:11 AM

I'm between 3 and 4 also, I know a lot of theory, and can play lead but am not comfortable doing it. I keep trying, and some days are much better than others. I am able to do what Wade Hampton Miller wanted (comfortably) playing the bass note and the rest of the chord, and keep steady time, however!
Old 01-31-2020, 02:25 PM
Guest 33123

With Fur Peace Ranch's course difficulty levels being "1" for beginner thru "4" for master, I attend level 3/4 classes without any issues. But really what does it matter anyways? There's always somebody better than you...
Old 02-10-2020, 10:27 AM

This was actually helpful to look at. I'm working on 4 at this point- scales up the neck and in multiple keys. I've got triads down on the first three strings and working on the bass strings. I'm loving that guitar is one of the easiest instruments I've ever played (ie., self taught and accompanied my 5th grade class singing by strumming my Dad's classical guitar), and also the most challenging instrument I'll play in my lifetime (how do all these scale patterns work up the neck?)

I picked up the guitar for real about 7 years ago. Could play the same chords I played in 5th grade and I am much better now. Was roped into service doing a regular contemplative Taize church service and have gone from only being able to accompany the singing with strumming to using finger style to accompany the singing and picking out the melody with finger style accompaniment for the introductions. And I can keep up to 40 people singing if I need to (that was a few weeks ago and I pretty much had to strum as I'm not plugged in).

But, it's still slow sometimes. My fifty something year old body does not seem to have the muscle memory I had when I young. And when I come on AGF, I assume I'm one of the worst guitarists here. I know there are always a few beginners, but I assume everyone else is great and forget many of us are on a journey with this wonderful instrument. So I look at the poll results and see us spread out all over, and that's helpful to remember.

beth

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write