The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-08-2020, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

All the time. I have to genuinely give up ("I'll never see it again, time to buy a new one"). Then, once I've unpackaged the new item and/or lost the receipt, rendering it un-returnable... that's when I find the original. But on a positive note, now that I have two identical pocket knives (for instance), I'll never lose the trusty original for the rest of my life.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:44 PM

I can't find what I'm looking for and I don't remember what I'm looking for. Fortunately I usually find it and then I remember what I wanted to do with it.
Old 02-08-2020, 11:10 PM
Charter Member

This might explain why there are multiple copies of some books on my shelves. Say I lose a copy of Tristram Shandy. But suddenly, I need it for a reference to something else. I order another copy. Then, my copy reappears. Moby Dick keeps doing this, too.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 02-09-2020, 06:48 PM

More times than I like to think about!

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:16 AM
Guitar Gourmet

My dear father had a huge unfinished basement underneath our "U" shaped house as his workshop. He organized it by memory. Wherever he was working on a project, he left the tools used. Next project he just needed to remember where he worked last. If I needed a tool he said, "Just put it back where you got it." Of course, he had three sons and a wife in the mix. If he couldn't find a tool he bought another. When he passed I inherited his collection of hand tools. I've got as many as five of some of the tools.

With me it is my daily carry pocketknife. I've owned four of the same model of Swiss Army Knife (Tinker model). The only one I don't have went home with a TSA lady at McGhee Tyson Airport in Knoxville, TN, when I forgot to put it in checked baggage before going through screening. It's funny: they glare at you like you are a moral degenerate while you remove your little pocketknife from your pocket and chuck it in the "banned items" bin, but you can look 'em in the eye and know that they'll be taking it home.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-10-2020, 06:27 AM
Guitar Gourmet

For farsighted people like my lovely wife it is glasses. I've decided that the proper mass of glasses has been reached when there is always a pair nearby but never one within reach.*

Bob

* Farsighted people can see the pair across the room but not the pair on their lap.

By contrast, I am nearsighted. My wife and kids once confronted me because I wasn't removing my whisker trimmings from the bathroom sink. I protested that I ALWAYS did that as a step in my morning ablutions. They took me into the bathroom I'd just vacated and sure enough, there were whiskers in the sink. I was duly horrified. And then it struck me: I had always done the cleanup while my glasses were across the room on a shelf and thus, couldn't see the whiskers. Hilarious. Humble pie.

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic