The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-08-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post

Ok, wow, thank you for the input. I really-REALLY like the Supro. Looking at sweetwater, there's a couple video and there is a tremendous amount of tones available from this and it has some really neat, simple appointments. Love the looks. Sweetwater is listing the 8 and 12-digging the 12. the videos from Mike Herman and Ford Thurston really cool and this thing sounds thick and full. I forgot to mention in the OP that I do want available reverb even if its a pedal, but this has it built in. Really liking this amp, will definitely research this one deep.

Yes, I agree about the Katana tones, I kept thinking exactly as I watched different videos. The Blues Junior just had a fatter tone from the video I was hearing.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...nch-tube-combo
thank you very very much
d
You may want to wait until they get the Blues King 10 in stock (the 12 is out of stock right now anyways). Reverb, boost and OD available with optional pedal make it super versatile and at a good price point. 5 watts is as much power as you will ever need at home and giggable too. It has all you need for great tone and to get you playing. You will end up getting at least a multi-effects later (take my word for it )

The 1 watt Blackstar is actually a pretty great sounding amp, but the OD tones on the Supro are better (IMO).

I think 10" speakers really help an amp sound open and big compared to an 8".

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-08-2020, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Another vote to put the Blues Cube Hot on the list ... I have one and run a Godin 5th Ave II through it, no pedals, no herbs and spices, just guitar/cable/amp ... I am a bit of a novice myself, and just wanted a simple, clean amp ... very pleased with it.

The 'power control' makes it behave like a 30W, 15W, 5W, or .5W amp ... so, full response at lower volumes - a big discriminator for me, as I am also a 'home' player ...

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...vintage-blonde

Also, many folks (with better ears than mine) are pretty impressed with its tube-like tone (it's a SS amp).
Here's a fairly extensive demo of it ... these guys are pretty silly, but looking past that, they are also pretty fair players and give you some good examples of different amounts of 'grit' using a couple different guitars through the amp ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJWkUca_NtI

Have fun with your quest!

~ Paul

Last edited by Ludere; 02-08-2020 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-08-2020, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

I'll be the 4th person to recommend the Roland Blues Cube Hot. Great clean sounds, definitely tube-like and takes pedals well.

Sold my Blues Jr to acquire the Blues Cube.

Good luck in your quest.
Old 02-08-2020, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

here is the decision. after thought, research, thought, i think i will benefit from the Yamaha THR.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...modeling-combo

Couple reasons.

I am at ground zero on the whole electric experience. I think it would be good for me to experience some effect options/amp voicings-understanding that the THR will probably not be as true sounding as the real effect/amp picked, but it gives me an idea of what i want to have in possible future purchases. No easy access(due to work, time demands) to other electric players in my area to check into what they have/play thru. Sweetwater had one demo of the above THR10IIWL. the THR10 and THR30 are on backorder until expected dates of May-was told maybe earlier but the agent told me Yamaha has been dumped with orders on these wireless models. I chose wireless because i like the availability of the self contained rechargeable lithium battery(purported 6 hr use). I have a Bose S1PRO(also similar battery function) and i tell you, i love not having to find a receptacle to plug into. Just sit down,turn it on, play, and no electrical interference . This unit also works with acoustic, not sure how well, but thats a plus(especially for the weissenborn). I can import songs from youtube or my play list and load into the THR and play along with that-thats a neat and useful function i would think. I like the portability(7 lbs for the one i purchased), picked up the high positive reviewed padded carry bag with shoulder sling. I can take this to work(rural ER and it runs in 5th gear all night long), at brief spare moments, stole away into a quiet room and restore some peace/calm in myself(you wouldn't believe how much 5 min of something musical helps every couple hours).

I like the uses/sound of the THR units from all the videos i've watched. Received a decent price on this one(last one they had), standard free shipping from SW, and the window of use(think its 30 days). Gives me time to make sure it will work for me and is worth the cost. I'll know in a week for sure. I remember Lee Anderton(who would have access to most anything probably) said in a video(that was reviewing another item) he found the THR extremely useful at home, and plays more due to its useful size, tones, fun.

Something else i found during this search that i would really like to try out later on is the Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb. 23 lbs(wow), and most everyone seemed to really be impressed with it. I like the tone coming out of this.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...inch-combo-amp

Definitely want to thank everyone who offered up thoughts/advice. There's a lot of winners in all these replies, just not enough time or $ to own them-lol

Will update this thread with my thoughts on the Yamaha THR10IIWL after i've spent some time with it.

Oh yea, this has the capability to be wireless from amp to guitar-thats a neat feature, not one i will immediately use, but its there is i want to buy the transmitter, but i'm fine with using a cord which i already have.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ss-transmitter
Old 02-08-2020, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
here is the decision. after thought, research, thought, i think i will benefit from the Yamaha THR.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...modeling-combo

Couple reasons.

I am at ground zero on the whole electric experience. I think it would be good for me to experience some effect options/amp voicings-understanding that the THR will probably not be as true sounding as the real effect/amp picked, but it gives me an idea of what i want to have in possible future purchases. No easy access(due to work, time demands) to other electric players in my area to check into what they have/play thru. Sweetwater had one demo of the above THR10IIWL. the THR10 and THR30 are on backorder until expected dates of May-was told maybe earlier but the agent told me Yamaha has been dumped with orders on these wireless models. I chose wireless because i like the availability of the self contained rechargeable lithium battery(purported 6 hr use). I have a Bose S1PRO(also similar battery function) and i tell you, i love not having to find a receptacle to plug into. Just sit down,turn it on, play, and no electrical interference . This unit also works with acoustic, not sure how well, but thats a plus(especially for the weissenborn). I can import songs from youtube or my play list and load into the THR and play along with that-thats a neat and useful function i would think. I like the portability(7 lbs for the one i purchased), picked up the high positive reviewed padded carry bag with shoulder sling. I can take this to work(rural ER and it runs in 5th gear all night long), at brief spare moments, stole away into a quiet room and restore some peace/calm in myself(you wouldn't believe how much 5 min of something musical helps every couple hours).

I like the uses/sound of the THR units from all the videos i've watched. Received a decent price on this one(last one they had), standard free shipping from SW, and the window of use(think its 30 days). Gives me time to make sure it will work for me and is worth the cost. I'll know in a week for sure. I remember Lee Anderton(who would have access to most anything probably) said in a video(that was reviewing another item) he found the THR extremely useful at home, and plays more due to its useful size, tones, fun.

Something else i found during this search that i would really like to try out later on is the Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb. 23 lbs(wow), and most everyone seemed to really be impressed with it. I like the tone coming out of this.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...inch-combo-amp

Definitely want to thank everyone who offered up thoughts/advice. There's a lot of winners in all these replies, just not enough time or $ to own them-lol

Will update this thread with my thoughts on the Yamaha THR10IIWL after i've spent some time with it.

Oh yea, this has the capability to be wireless from amp to guitar-thats a neat feature, not one i will immediately use, but its there is i want to buy the transmitter, but i'm fine with using a cord which i already have.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ss-transmitter
I have a THR, Katana MK II, an old tube amp, and a new tube amp. They are all good to me. Yes, tube amps are awesome, as I've mentioned in my other thread, but the modellers, to me, are just as good, with a different sound.

The THR is great. You have to break the speaker in though for a few hours. When I first got mine, I didn't like it that much, but then the speakers broke in and now it's great.

As a side note, I also have a portable board that was pretty cheap to put together. It runs off a power bank for hours and hours and is in a portable bag that unfolds for the board. It also made of all fairly cheap pedals that sound great with the THR.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s

Last edited by robj144; 02-08-2020 at 05:22 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars