The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-07-2020, 06:30 PM

Default good new or bad news

im not sure what got me started on this, maybe the tele kit i built, but i ran across the on the web these monoprice telecasters- i kept seeing the decent reviews on it with nothing bad- except the parts where its great deal while screaming for upgrades, i seen it on sale for $79 shipped- the blonde tele- after a week of indecision, i finally went to order it--SOLD OUT!-- so im not sure if i should feel unlucky or thankful!
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 02-07-2020, 07:29 PM

I think those inexpensive kit guitars are a great way to learn about guitar maintenance, i.e. soldering pickups/electronics, installing tuners, trying to determine why something isn't as it should, etc. Sounds like you already did that with your first kit?

$79 is a great way to try it again. If you feel comfortable with assembling one you could always try to source used parts individually and pick exactly what you want. Just have to be careful when it comes to US parts vs non-US parts ... different measurements for bridges and such so a American Strat bridge may not fit the holes of a Mexi Strat body.

It's easy to spend $750 and you'll never recoup your investment but you could end up with a great player. If you enjoy the research and have the time to pick out parts it's a great hobby.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars