The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-24-2021, 06:43 PM

Default gigging PA?

HI, when the weather and Covid breaks and we start playing gigs again; I am going to be playing with a friend Bass player. Well; right now I play thru a Fishman soloamp and he plays thru a Bass amp [of course]. when we play out I was thinking the music would sound more even and better if it was all coming from one place ;like PA . Never owned one.Is this a good idea?Any recommendations? thanks.
Old 01-24-2021, 07:13 PM

2 vocals, bass and guitar? While some stand alone line arrays may just have enough inputs, they lack in one way or the other, be it having enough bass, or the tone shaping you want, or the effects you'd like. I suggest a small mixer, at least one dedicated (powered) sub, and an 8" or larger (powered) top speaker.
Old 01-24-2021, 07:17 PM

I don't think it will necessarily be better or easier to lug around. My duo partner and I play through a single CP8 (he plays bass for about a third of our repertoire) and it works well even outdoors in large spaces. We manage to get by with the mixing capabilities of the CP8's back side inputs and controls. We've got pedals to eq our guitars.

IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 01-24-2021, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
HI, when the weather and Covid breaks and we start playing gigs again; I am going to be playing with a friend Bass player. Well; right now I play thru a Fishman soloamp and he plays thru a Bass amp [of course]. when we play out I was thinking the music would sound more even and better if it was all coming from one place ;like PA . Never owned one.Is this a good idea?Any recommendations? thanks.
If it’s just you and a bass player, and vocals aren’t part of the picture, I’d actually recommend that you stick to separates. Reproducing bass well puts demands on the system — both in terms of speaker design and wattage — that guitar does not impose. So a system that would be adequate for bass might be overkill for guitar.
Martin D12X1AE
LaPatrie CW Concert
Old 01-24-2021, 08:08 PM

thanks guys ,probably stick with what i have .
Old 01-24-2021, 08:09 PM

You are going to get a lot of answers to your question, and all of them are likely valid.

I use a pair of Behringer B208 powered speakers, a JBL 10g2 floor wedge and a mixer. I use this setup for myself and other players. If I only need four or fewer mic and instrument inputs I use a small analog mixer, but if I need more, or if I'm recording, I use my Behringer XR18 digital mixer.

If you're not doing vocals, as someone suggested, separate amps for guitar and bass make sense. Even with a PA I would suggest the bass player still use a bass amp, otherwise you'll be adding a subwoofer to that PA system. If I'm setting up for a bass player I either mic the bass amp or, if it has a line out, plug that into the PA, but still keep the bass amp pumping out some low end.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 01-25-2021, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
If you're not doing vocals, as someone suggested, separate amps for guitar and bass make sense. Even with a PA I would suggest the bass player still use a bass amp, otherwise you'll be adding a subwoofer to that PA system. If I'm setting up for a bass player I either mic the bass amp or, if it has a line out, plug that into the PA, but still keep the bass amp pumping out some low end.
I think this is the best route. As bass
Can tend to overwhelm a pa system.
And doesnt sound as good as it would thru a bass amp. A qsc and a sub is a good start. You'll need a mixer with enough channels to cover
what you need for inputs. Get one with more inputs than needed so you
Have room to add something later.
Cause you will...
Old 01-25-2021, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
If you like the solo amp upgrade to the 330 with the sa sub... (although for what you are doing...your set up (IMO) is absolutely fine)
Old 01-25-2021, 09:05 AM

If you want the sound coming from one place stand the Solo on top of (or next to) the bass amp.
Mountain D45 (mid '80s)
Brian Eastwood ES175/L5
Gibson Les Paul Custom (1975)
Brian Eastwood '61 Strat
Bitsa Strat with P90s (my main electric)
The Loar F5 Mandolin,
Samick A4 Mandolin
Epiphone Mandobird
Brian Eastwood '51 P Bass
NS Design Wav EUB
Giordano EUB
Old 01-25-2021, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
Have room to add something later.
Cause you will...
True dat...

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification