The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-21-2021, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
I got a mod kit for one of mine, can't remember the name but it was one that was widely discussed. The improvement was noticeable in the house but not significant enough to make a difference at gigs and not really worth the expense and trouble.

On a different tack, if you're ever considering using IRs on guitar the EQ section of the Mooer Radar pedal is surprisingly good, infinitely flexible, programmable and quiet.

- and a free IR loader into the bargain.
Thanks to everyone for your input. I own the 7-band Behringer that's similar to the Boss. Been testing it out and it may be all I'm looking for. I have an Anthem in a dreadnought and an UltraTonic in a Larrivee L. The main thing I need to to clean up some muddiness on both and, of course, in a live situation (if we ever get back to it) it's always good to have the capability to overcome room problems as much as possible.

All that said, Shufflebeat's comments about the Mooer Radar got me interested in that. In order not to sidetrack this discussion, I'm going to start another thread about the Radar. I have a bit of experience with IRs, but not with this particular unit, so I'd be interested in anyone's input.

Again, thanks.
Old 01-23-2021, 04:07 AM

Default equalizer pedal recommendations?

+1 for the Empress Para Eq - I have a first-generation. The learning curve is simple. It is a very versatile tone shaping pedal for acoustic and electric guitar. It works great to eliminate feedback. I had to send it back to the manufacturer after 10+ years because of pot noise. They repaired it at no charge and covered the cost of return shipping from Canada to the US.
Old 04-19-2021, 02:00 PM

Default Carl Martin 3 Band Parametric Pre-Amp

Carl Martin 3 Band Parametric Pre-Amp is great.

https://www.carlmartin.com/3-band-parametric-eq

And here's Michael Thompson demoning it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dct6OGAp20

I got mine from Thomann in a great deal but nowadays they seem to be expensive. I paid £130 new, but now they're £200 new! Nuts.
Old 04-27-2021, 07:40 AM

I've been considering that one. How you liking it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villamarzia View Post
I finally set on a LR Baggs Align Series Equalizer, which has 6 acoustic-tuned frequencies but especially a very effective anti-feedback control, phase, high-pass filter and gain control. I use it as a preamp actually.
Old 04-27-2021, 01:41 PM
AGF Sponsor

I have trouble enough plugging in.

sm
Old 04-29-2021, 01:23 AM

I have had superb results with an Analogman modded GE7. The upgraded components make a gigantic difference. Silky smooth and so musical.
‘97 Martin D18GE (Sunrise)
‘01 Takamine EAN46C (Palathetic and CT4B)
'02 Takamine EAN20C (Palathetic and CT4BII)
'15 Gibson SJ200 Standard (Sunrise)
‘19 Vintage Paul Brett Viator VC Classical
‘20 Sigma CF-100 copy (Sunrise)

Capos by G7th, amplification by AER.
Old 04-30-2021, 11:27 AM

Sooo-
I have a modded Boss GE-7, an Empress Para EQ, the new Source Audio EQ2 and Tech21 Q-strip. Signs of OCD...

The Source Audio EQ2 is the king in its ability to be programmed to do exactly what you want it to do, but not great for on-the-fly changes. It resides on on main (band) pedal board because I switch between different guitars.

The Empress ParaEQ is the best in terms of surgical, gig-ready usability for notching out offending frequencies. Totally transparent/quiet.

The Empress got replaced on my acoustic pedal board with the Q-Strip. The Q-Strip is warmer and has 2 bands of semi-parametric mid EQ. I'm digging it.

The modded GE-7 is super-quiet, but I use it mainly for clean-boost through the effects loop of my electric guitar amp. It wasn't really surgical enough (for me) for use with acoustic guitar- YMMV.

I'm probably more of an outlier though since I run my acoustic signal chain through a Radial Firefly DI box to add tube warmth...(after Tonedexter and Q-Strip)....or I may have lost my marbles somewhere along the line.

Matt
Godin Multiac Steel HG
Gretsch 6120DE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification