The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-02-2020, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blews View Post
I just bought a Gretsch Streamliner G2420 for around $400 new on a Black Friday sale...I love it - absolutely love the guitar...never thought a $400 hollow body would sound and feel so good...
If you think that's good, try one of the Korean-made 5400-Series Electromatic hollowbodies - true professional-quality instruments (for well under $1K in most cases) which, speaking as a happy owner (one of many here on the AGF Electric subforum, BTW) compare favorably with (and often as not surpass) those at three and four times the price - and you may never play that Streamliner again...
Old 12-04-2020, 11:52 AM

I'm always amazed when people talk about an affordable guitar at $1000.What happened to $300-500,$500-800?You can get some nice guitars for that.The guitar makers are making some great stuff for way under a grand.I think it was the guitar makers that started that $1000 is affordable stuff.I have alot of different guitars,and glad to see there is some great cheaper guitars.$1000 is nuts to throw around like it's affordable.
Old 12-04-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted K View Post
I'm always amazed when people talk about an affordable guitar at $1000.What happened to $300-500,$500-800?You can get some nice guitars for that.The guitar makers are making some great stuff for way under a grand.I think it was the guitar makers that started that $1000 is affordable stuff.I have alot of different guitars,and glad to see there is some great cheaper guitars.$1000 is nuts to throw around like it's affordable.

Yep. When it comes to electrics, $1000 is already premium price. Acoustics is a different animal. $1000 is considered a mid-grade affordable, and a $2500 D-18 is an “affordable” Martin.
Old 12-04-2020, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted K View Post
I'm always amazed when people talk about an affordable guitar at $1000. What happened to $300-500,$500-800? You can get some nice guitars for that. The guitar makers are making some great stuff for way under a grand. I think it was the guitar makers that started that $1000 is affordable stuff. I have a lot of different guitars, and glad to see there is some great cheaper guitars. $1000 is nuts to throw around like it's affordable.
I've been in this game since 1962...

I got my first electric in 1964: Gretsch Double Anniversary, a first "good" guitar for an intermediate student as well as a working instrument for an in-the-trenches pro (FYI Brian Jones used one on the Stones' first USA tour)...

List price in November 1963 was $295 - adjusted for inflation approximately $2400, same as the current MSRP of the '60 Vintage Select Double Anniversary...

Similarly, $120 (just over $1000 in today's money) would get you a low-midline Harmony or Kay, one of the off-brands, or a European import - few of which survived, and most of which were borderline trainwrecks even in their day - or, if you knew someone in the business who could recommend you to a "pro shop" where they offered 40% off to teachers/working pros/AFM cardholders, an entry-level Gibson/Fender solidbody...

$300-500 today gets you a serviceable student electric (very basic materials, generic-sounding electronics, thick poly finish) which, although a significant improvement over those of two generations prior, will still need an investment of time/money to bring it up to snuff - at the very least, a full professional setup including nut filing and fret leveling/polishing (feel those sharp little barbs when you run your hand up and down the neck quickly - that's called "fret sprout," and while all current guitars regardless of price are subject, those made with lower-cost/lower-quality woods are especially prone), and probably hardware/pickups/rewiring somewhere down the line...

In 1964, that $300-500 asking price equated to $35-60 - questionable stuff even then...

Good news is, thanks to improvements in technology and production methods, $1000+/- buys a fully-professional gigworthy instrument that not only looks/sounds the part, but won't crap out on you ten minutes before you go on stage. FYI Tony Bennett's guitarist was using a $1K Godin CW II on tour for several years - I'd be inclined to think both he and his boss know a little something about tone - and had an equivalent-quality two-pickup hollowbody been available for $120 back when I got my Gretsch Double Annie, my dad would have been one happy (and wealthier) man. In a nutshell, then as now you get what you pay for; although those rare gems that punch well above their weight do exist - ask any long-time player who owns a Godin 5th Avenue acoustic archtop ($500 street) how it compares to the equivalent $60-70 Harmony Broadways/Montclairs from the '50s/60s - nobody's in this business to lose money, and corners are inevitably going to be cut somewhere...
Old 12-04-2020, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Yep. When it comes to electrics, $1000 is already premium price.
Say what?? $1000 won't even get you a new American Strat any more. The American Performer strats are around $1150 new; they're fine guitars but not "premium" by a long shot.
Old 12-04-2020, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
Say what?? $1000 won't even get you a new American Strat any more. The American Performer strats are around $1150 new; they're fine guitars but not "premium" by a long shot.

Ok maybe not $1000, but anywhere from $1100 to $1500 can buy you an USA-made electric. I guess premium is subjective.
Old 12-06-2020, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
If you think that's good, try one of the Korean-made 5400-Series Electromatic hollowbodies - true professional-quality instruments (for well under $1K in most cases) which, speaking as a happy owner (one of many here on the AGF Electric subforum, BTW) compare favorably with (and often as not surpass) those at three and four times the price - and you may never play that Streamliner again...
Dang! Now you gots me looking at those units...ugh.....and I thought I was happy.....😬

Electrics
Fender / Fender Amps * TMG

Favorite Gin - Citadelle
Favorite Bourbon - Woodford Reserve Double Oaked

Favorite Grape - Nebbiolo
Old 12-06-2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blews View Post
Dang! Now you gots me looking at those units...ugh.....and I thought I was happy.....😬
Not to add to your misery, but the MIK E-Matics really are that. good. - and if you can scrape up the bucks in short order, here's a sweet little semi-hollow (FYI the 5600-Series semis have gone to Chinese production - nowhere near the QC/tone of the Korean stuff) that'll likely be a lifetime keeper:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...ay-with-bigsby

Note the cream-colored guard/PU surrounds and Super Hi-lo'Tron PU's, a quick ID for a MIK second-series 5622 - the third-series Chinese stuff uses silver or gold plasticware and has full-size humbuckers in a Gretsch "blacktop" cover...

Just for reference these were discontinued a few years ago, but here's mine - been my go-to gigging guitar for the last four years, gets every classic Gretsch tone you've ever heard (and a few you'll never get with any other guitar):

These usually go for about $600-700 used (BTW they also came in black and the same '65 Chevy Impala "Georgia Green" in the first pic); a bit heavy - similar to an early-70's ES-335/345/355 at 9+ pounds - so forget about those cool skinny straps most Gretsch players like, but IME every guitarist in the room will gravitate toward you as soon as you open the case...

P.S.: If you're really serious (as in ready to buy right now) PM me - I might have a line on a couple unsold new-old-stock 3-PU 5622's...
Old 12-07-2020, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Not to add to your misery, but the MIK E-Matics really are that. good. - and if you can scrape up the bucks in short order, here's a sweet little semi-hollow (FYI the 5600-Series semis have gone to Chinese production - nowhere near the QC/tone of the Korean stuff) that'll likely be a lifetime keeper:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...ay-with-bigsby

Note the cream-colored guard/PU surrounds and Super Hi-lo'Tron PU's, a quick ID for a MIK second-series 5622 - the third-series Chinese stuff uses silver or gold plasticware and has full-size humbuckers in a Gretsch "blacktop" cover...

Just for reference these were discontinued a few years ago, but here's mine - been my go-to gigging guitar for the last four years, gets every classic Gretsch tone you've ever heard (and a few you'll never get with any other guitar):

These usually go for about $600-700 used (BTW they also came in black and the same '65 Chevy Impala "Georgia Green" in the first pic); a bit heavy - similar to an early-70's ES-335/345/355 at 9+ pounds - so forget about those cool skinny straps most Gretsch players like, but IME every guitarist in the room will gravitate toward you as soon as you open the case...

P.S.: If you're really serious (as in ready to buy right now) PM me - I might have a line on a couple unsold new-old-stock 3-PU 5622's...
Stop it! I haven't even had the Gretsch a month yet!! I am trying to control my GAS!!!!

Electrics
Fender / Fender Amps * TMG

Favorite Gin - Citadelle
Favorite Bourbon - Woodford Reserve Double Oaked

Favorite Grape - Nebbiolo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars